Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

LPG?

• 18-01-2014 7:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭

Hello,

We have to drive a lot and the fuel spending is getting heavy... But upgrading to a new(ish) diesel car is quite expensive, and an old one might easily have the turbo break, leading to a very expensive repair.

And also we have a Kia Cee'd Petrol that is just coming out of warranty.

So I am thinking of an LPG conversion for it. There seem to be some ads around and while there are few fuel stations, one is quite convenient for my wife's work. (And one can always switch back to petrol for the occasional long trip elsewhere).

But I don't actually see converted cars even though many people face big fuel bills! So it might not be such a sweet deal after all? They can't ALL be worried about boot space?

Should I, or shouldn't I? And why? :)

I did hear wear on the engine might accelerate somewhat. but the car is 7 year old now, I would hope it lasts another 5 years but I would not expect much more.

I would also be thankful for recommendations of companies that would do it in the Limerick area, or failing that, in Cork. I'd like to avoid going to Dublin to have the conversion.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭JimmyCrackCorn

This has been covered a few times in the motors section. I Can move the thread there if you don't get a response here.

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭MichaelR

Please do move it there. I am nearly decided in favour of APService in Dublin but would really appreciate more opinions!

• Registered Users Posts: 15 kuli81

• Registered Users Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭stimpson

There's a recent thread here:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057121248

I had mine done before Christmas by LPGain in Tallaght and have nothing but good things to say about LPG in general and LPGain in particular.

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭MichaelR

Thanks stimpson - can you tell me which hardware option you took and/or how much it cost?

That thread says it's less efficient on short trips - how short is meant by short? We have regular trips of 15-20 km here, most of it motorway, would that be short?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

OP has moved over to "LPG for me?" so this becomes a duplicate.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement