Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Are you going to pay the household charge? [Part 1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,307 ✭✭✭✭alastair

Freddie59 wrote: »
    To replace the money being hemorrhaged to the PS/CS/Banks. Keeping up now, are we? How about an answer to those questions?

How do you define impacted?

Do you agree with keeping PS/CS wages at the amount they are - even if it means borrowing €400m EVERY WEEK?

Do you agree with keeping SW rates and continuing to borrow for same?

Do you agree with failed business entities being bailed out while other Private Sector companies go to the wall, without State aid?

I take it you've moved on from pretending this charge doesn't go entirely to local authority funding then?

Maybe there's still hope for you in relation to the negative equity thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭paddyismaddy

Shenshen wrote: »
    It's €100, that's around €8.33 a month.

I'm finding it absolutely baffling how people can get worked up over this, yet will happily spend as much on a single drink on a night out....

Get a grip. Seriously.

i have water on a nite out now :p aint going to pay

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭phil1nj

alastair wrote: »
    Stupid or obtuse? I'm not sure.

I don't care about taxation of rented rooms tbh - my only point (again!) is that it's clearly a means of generating revenue from your home - a clear contradiction to the claim made by you, that the only way to generate revenue from your home was at point of sale. End of.

Right once more, here goes. My house does not generate any income for me until I choose to sell it. You start banging on about income from renting a room (an activity that has laws in place to deal with any money generated from it) therefore not grounds for a property tax. You talk about potential earnings that people have from their homes, potential earnings don't pay for **** all I'm afraid.

Btw the stupid or obtuse opening to your comment is beneath you. Please don't start hurling personal insults this way. Ive engaged with you in a civil manner so far, I only ask you do the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,307 ✭✭✭✭alastair

phil1nj wrote: »
    Right once more, here goes. My house does not generate any income for me until I choose to sell it.
    Because you choose not not to generate rental income.
    You start banging on about income from renting a room (an activity that has laws in place to deal with any money generated from it)
    Yep - because it's a profitable, income generating process.
    therefore not grounds for a property tax.
    Who said it was? The property tax is on the wealth contained in the asset.
    You talk about potential earnings that people have from their homes, potential earnings don't pay for **** all I'm afraid.
    Until you actually activate those potential earnings, no, I guess they wouldn't.:rolleyes:
    Btw the stupid or obtuse opening to your comment is beneath you. Please don't start hurling personal insults this way. Ive engaged with you in a civil manner so far, I only ask you do the same.
    You've acted in either an obtuse or stupid fashion - however civil you think you've been.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭phil1nj

Because you choose not not to generate rental income.

Yep - because it's a profitable, income generating process.

Who said it was? The property tax is on the wealth contained in the asset.

Until you actually activate those potential earnings, no, I guess they wouldn't.:rolleyes:

You've acted in either an obtuse or stupid fashion - however civil you think you've been.

All the rooms in my house are in use therefore I don't have a choice about activating rental income. And as said, there are laws to deal with this rental income (a point you keep conviently ignoring).

The wealth contained in my house (which was paid for by already heavily taxed money) is only accessed when I sell the house. True or false? Ro go back to your share example, no one pays any tax on shares until they are sold. Why should a property tax be the same? Since both are examples of wealth?

And I have engaged you in a civil manner. You on the other hand have sneered at and insulted myself other posters on here despite sayIng very little except the same old guff about households being examples of wealth and how this charge will go towards local services. Despite (IMHO ) both being untrue as Bourne out by arguments put towards you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

I take it you've moved on from pretending this charge doesn't go entirely to local authority funding then?

Maybe there's still hope for you in relation to the negative equity thing?

Nice try. It goes to pay bankers. Much as your warped outlook wants to pretend it isn't so.

Now, back to those questions. Or is there are reason you won't answer them? They are pretty valid, given your "arguments" in favour of this bailout charge for bankers and the bloated PS/CS and SW.

Do you agree with keeping PS/CS wages at the amount they are - even if it means borrowing €400m EVERY WEEK?

Do you agree with failed business entities being bailed out while other Private Sector companies go to the wall, without State aid?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Going global.......?

New York times knows the score........
    "“It will be a real nightmare scenario for the government because it doesn’t have the resources to enforce payment,” he said. “They can intimidate and browbeat all they like, but they don’t have the wherewithal to collect what people are not prepared or cannot afford to give them.” "

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭recylingbin

The leaflet I received indicated that the money would be spent on, amongst other things :

- cleaning the streets
    I've never seen this happen where i live unless the council are controlling the rain.

- provision of library facilities
    Haven't got one, if we had, i'd be at work during library opening hours.

- maintenance of local parks
    Haven't got any. The GAA have a pitch with assorted facilities. The local authority contributed nothing to this. The local community crntre was told where to go when they looked for money recently to comply with health and safety regulations.

- emergency services.
    My house insurance pays for fire brigade if needed, health insurance pays for ambulance, hospital, etc and I don't care how the cops get their money as they seem to be all farmers anyway.

So, in short, the property charge funds services i don't have. Even if I did, I have no broadband at home because it's unattainable unless i pay extortionate rates to a satelite provider for very little bandwith - so I can't pay.

They continually rabbit on about other country's having the charge, but in other country's, you get services in return. We will still pay for everything as normal - bins, emergency services, etc, but pay a charge for the local authority having nothing to do with the services.

Am I going to pay it? Am I f*ck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,419 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

I had every intention of paying but I have changed my mind, if they left it at €100 for the next five year I would pay but next year it will be too expensive.
    I also think what money is collected in each county should be spent in that county. I'm sure the council are not going to refund me the money I paid to get water connected to my house. As for the septic tank charge I'm not sure about that yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Luke "Ming" Flanagan will be on the Late Late tonight to talk about this unjust tax.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

This €160,000,000 is to pay local authorities staff wages. Not to provide the services they are purported to be used for. Just look at the number of newly constructed council buildings built during the Celtic tiger, the most recent in Wexford. Absolute waste of tax payers money.

Local authorities drag their feet in taking estates in charge thereby leaving the maintenance of these estates to the people living in them

They waste huge amounts of money in litigation because of incompetent and slow legal representation. How often have you read of them settling on the footsteps of the courts after years of solicitors letters back and fourth.

Although paid millions in levies during the height of the construction boom failed to provide adequate building control, Priory Hall anyone.

They collect rates from businesses and give little or nothing in return. These businesses also pay water rates and their own bin charges and in many instances responsible for keeping the fronts of their own shops (public footpaths) clean.

Have ceased collecting domestic waste in all but few local authorities.

In summary they are notorious wasters of taxpayers money (dublin city council among the worst) and we get little in return. I've no objection in principle to this household tax when it comes in but we need much better value for money. I feel that we are giving money to people too incompetent to use it wisely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

The leaflet I received indicated that the money would be spent on, amongst other things :

Am I going to pay it? Am I f*ck!

It will be used to nurse injured kittens back to health and to improve the life of children who were abused by paedophile priests.

The only time I ever see or hear of the council is when they send a few lads around to throw some cold dry tar into the potholes that washes out with the next shower. Then once a year they send a fella around with a hedge cutter. Tbh they are better off doing nothing as it probably costs them a fortune already to do those two small jobs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

Nice try. It goes to pay bankers. Much as your warped outlook wants to pretend it isn't so.

Now, back to those questions. Or is there are reason you won't answer them? They are pretty valid, given your "arguments" in favour of this bailout charge for bankers and the bloated PS/CS and SW.

Still waiting........

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,224 ✭✭✭Going Forward

eth0 wrote: »
    It will be used to nurse injured kittens back to health and to improve the life of children who were abused by paedophile priests.

The only time I ever see or hear of the council is when they send a few lads around to throw some cold dry tar into the potholes that washes out with the next shower. Then once a year they send a fella around with a hedge cutter. Tbh they are better off doing nothing as it probably costs them a fortune already to do those two small jobs

Whats a hedgecutter?
    We only get the potholes interfered with
    during the rainy season in these parts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

Still waiting........

I suspect you will be for a long time Freddie.

Comical Ali only answers questions that he can give a smug answer to, questions where he can't give an honest answer to get ignored.

He might even take another one day holiday from this thread like he did yesterday, the questions were still here (unanswered) on his return though.

I'd love to know what he does for a living;)

Maybe hes a tax collector.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Ghandee wrote: »
    I suspect you will be for a long time Freddie.

Comical Ali only answers questions that he can give a smug answer to, questions where he can't give an honest answer to get ignored.

He might even take another one day holiday from this thread like he did yesterday, the questions were still here (unanswered) on his return though.

I'd love to know what he does for a living;)

It was us that had the holiday

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

robbie7730 wrote: »
    Roads have costs, motoring taxes supply money. If the money from motoring does not go to roads, it is still paid by the motorists. The roads are still maintained.

You obviously haven't been past too many roads mate.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

My reminder arrived today,didn't even look at it.Just another waste of money printing it.It's in my recycling bin now,to be collected by a private company as the council sold their bin service off.

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭Mr CJ

mikom wrote: »
    Going global.......?

New York times knows the score........

And who were the idiots saying we will be looked upon from over seas with disgust as a nation that breaks the law??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

goz83 wrote: »
    You obviously haven't been past too many roads mate.

My point was not about how well the roads are maintained though.

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭Mr CJ

hondasam wrote: »
    I had every intention of paying but I have changed my mind, if they left it at €100 for the next five year I would pay but next year it will be too expensive.
    I also think what money is collected in each county should be spent in that county. I'm sure the council are not going to refund me the money I paid to get water connected to my house. As for the septic tank charge I'm not sure about that yet.

Seems to be the thing now even more people are refusing to pay even the ones who were going to, I read also a solicitor changed his mind he is not paying.

People are waking up to the fact that our beloved government are putting a gun to normal decent hard working peoples heads to pay for the crimes commited in this country by our previous government and now we are saying go ahead pull the trigger, we aint taking your cr*p any longer!

Its funny our government also say its law implemented by our previous government... eh which ones? the ones that broke the law them selves?? they were not fit to make law!! Dont Register Dont Pay

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭Frank Black

Mr CJ wrote: »

People are waking up to the fact that our beloved government are putting a gun to normal decent hard working peoples heads to pay for the crimes commited in this country by our previous government and now we are saying go ahead pull the trigger, we aint taking your cr*p any longer!

I'd be more worried about paying for our current budget deficit if I were you.

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Seems to be the thing now even more people are refusing to pay even the ones who were going to, I read also a solicitor changed his mind he is not paying.

Its funny our government also say its law implemented by our previous government... eh which ones? the ones that broke the law them selves?? they were not fit to make law!! Dont Register Dont Pay

I had planned to pay eventually but things started to get on my tits. The last straw has been the constant threatening language over the last week on the radio and tv, "pay up or else" or else what? fcuk off.

I'd be more worried about paying for our current budget deficit if I were you.

We could start by not paying over three billion euro (twenty years worth of household scam payments) to unsecured bond holders on the 31St of March?

There's a three billion hole plugged straight away?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Ghandee wrote: »
    We could start by not paying over three billion euro (twenty years worth of household scam payments) to unsecured bond holders on the 31St of March?

There's a three billion hole plugged straight away?

Hasn't that payment been deferred? If so,what's the panic over collecting this tax? Oh.yeah-to pay undeserved pensions to crooks and gamblers.Not one cent will go to local services as promised.I'm sick to the teeth of failed policies & broken promises from politicians.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,419 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

I actually don't know anyone that has paid and I have asked several people. Lets face it they can't take all of us to court. I'm sure we will have to give in eventually and pay it but I'm not going to make it easy for them either. I would like to know what the money is going to be spent on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭CarrickMcJoe

Was thinking of paying it next week but was presented with 2 forms for junior and leaving cert exams to be paid for today:(
    €220 gone in a flash for the free education, thanks!

House tax can wait,

• Advertisement

hondasam wrote: »
    I actually don't know anyone that has paid and I have asked several people. Lets face it they can't take all of us to court. I'm sure we will have to give in eventually and pay it but I'm not going to make it easy for them either. I would like to know what the money is going to be spent on.

Why do you feel that Sam?

People power can, and will win the day.
    If They start to try to forcibly remove it from accounts/wages or whatever, expect another mass campaign for the public to start shopping in the north, pay cash were possible, workers strikes...etc etc etc.

There is more than than one way to skin a cat......

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement