Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nokia Lumia 800

• 09-12-2011 11:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,232 ✭✭✭Elessar

Does anyone have one?

I used to be a big iPhone fan, then switched to Android (Galaxy S2 is my current) but now I want to try Nokias Windows phone comeback.

Anyone have one? What do you think?

Phonesonline have it for €540.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭anthony4335

Got one a couple of weeks ago. First off , it feels nice in the hand, the software is as good as the rest for what I use it for ,light surfing, email calls and messages. It has all the apps I used on my android, news and weather ,facebook, youtube etc . The one thing is that it is not flash compatible so rte player is out, but it has a youtube app so thats good. One thing is the one I have does not allow a personal hotsopt nor tethering (T-mobile germany have this removed) so If you want this you might want to wait for an official sim free unit. So at the moment I still prefer Android ,just but I prefer the nokia phone. So would I suggest you buy it, try the window phone and see if you would like it as a software, if you do the Nokia will not let you down and I would say go for it. Otherwise stick with Android. Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭AntiVirus

I've just ordered my cyan Nokia Lumia 800 from Germany for 479 euros sim free. You can get the black Nokia Lumia 800 from Germany for 408 euros.

http://www.guenstiger.de/Preisvergleich/Nokia/Lumia_800.html

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭nialldinho

AntiVirus wrote: »
    I've just ordered my cyan Nokia Lumia 800 from Germany for 479 euros sim free. You can get the black Nokia Lumia 800 from Germany for 408 euros.

http://www.guenstiger.de/Preisvergleich/Nokia/Lumia_800.html

Is that one for 408 sim free?

nialldinho wrote: »
    Is that one for 408 sim free?

It is sim free but it does have T-Mobile branding. There is no T-Mobile branding on the phone but it might have a T-Mobile splash screen on start up for a couple seconds after the Nokia splash screen.

It is sim free but it does have T-Mobile branding. There is no T-Mobile branding on the phone but it might have a T-Mobile splash screen on start up for a couple seconds after the Nokia splash screen.

cool. thanks.

the cheapest site with all the positive reviews, mobilebomber.de, doesn't seem to ship to ireland though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,552 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

DO, NOT, BUY.

WP7 is terrible, you'll get bored with it in 15 minutes, no, in 5 minutes.

WP7 has no developer support, Microsoft pays developers to develop apps for them.

Trust me you'll be throwing money away.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭jahalpin

CyberGhost wrote: »
    DO, NOT, BUY.

WP7 has no developer support, Microsoft pays developers to develop apps for them.

I have had a Windows Phone 7 (HTC HD7) phone for the last few months and have been very impressed with it.

Windows Phone 7 is very well designed and is probably the best mobile OS out there at the moment. It is a lot better than both iOS and Android. The Mango update sorted out most of the problems in the first release

I have had both iPhones and Android phones and the Microsoft Phone is much better and much faster.

The Android phones need far higher speced hardware to run properly than the Windows Phone. I have used several Android phones including the Samsung Galaxy S, Samsung Galaxy S2 and the SE Xperia X10 mini

iOS looks like it was designed by Fisher Price. The hardware spec in iPhones prior to the 4S was a joke and Apple's extremely closed system is terrible. The recurring serious bugs in the iOS updates are also extremely worrying especially considering that all hardware is controlled by Apple.

While it's true that there are fewer apps in the Windows Marketplace than the Android or iTunes this should change now that Nokia has put its support behind it. A lot of the Android apps are terrible and should be avoided

DO, NOT, BUY.

Some one will say that about every OS. Just look at all the problems people are having with Android! Laggy, crashing, apps not working, virus, etc... the list goes on and on. The best advice I always see for Android is to buy the most powerfull phone you can and you'll still have all those problems. Or you'll often here about flashing on this rom or that rom etc... I was doing this long before Android was out and you'll get bored of having to do this all the time. You'll just want a phone that works.

The girds of icons on iPhone's were great when they came out but now its a bit Windows 95 ish. Still imo its a better choice than Android.
    WP7 has no developer support
    It's only been out just over a year now and the app store growth rate is on par with apples iphone growth rate and reached the 40,000 apps faster than Android did. So developer support is growing faster than it did for Android and at the same rate as the iPhone.

Just do a quick google for the WP7 app market growth rate and you see how fast its growing.

http://www.netbooknews.com/36778/windows-phone-7-app-store-growth-on-par-with-ios/

Microsoft pays developers to develop apps for them.
    Who could say thats a bad thing? It shows that Microsoft are commited to the WP7 os and want to bring the numbers of apps up at a quick rate and its working well.

You're always best off doing some research before buying a phone so just do a google to read the latest reviews of the WP7 operating system to see whats said. I haven't seen any reviews where they have recommended not to get it. All reviews have been very positive. The only downside you could say is the lack of apps (over 40,000) at the moment but they all expect this to grow and the growth of the market place proves they are right.

In case anyone is interested, Simply Electronics are selling the Nokia Lumia 800 for 445 euros (black model) and 449 euros (Cyan model) with free delivery to Ireland and both are in stock.

http://electronics.simplyelectronics.net/search?currency=eur&w=nokia%20lumia%20800&asug=

any sign of the 710 coming out soon?

• Advertisement

nialldinho wrote: »
    any sign of the 710 coming out soon?

It could be the first week in January in the UK, no sign of when either will be out in Ireland, sometime in Q1 2012

http://www.techradar.com/news/phone-and-communications/mobile-phones/nokia-lumia-710-uk-release-date-6-january--1046255

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭hadoken13

One thing is the one I have does not allow a personal hotsopt nor tethering (T-mobile germany have this removed) so If you want this you might want to wait for an official sim free unit.

Nokia have stated (not sure if it is 100% official though) that they will make tethering available in the new year as it currently is not available anywhere on the 800.
    DO, NOT, BUY.

Go troll somewhere else.

In case anyone is interested, Simply Electronics are selling the Nokia Lumia 800 for 445 euros (black model) and 449 euros (Cyan model) with free delivery to Ireland and both are in stock.

http://electronics.simplyelectronics.net/search?currency=eur&w=nokia%20lumia%20800&asug=

How trustworthy is this site or that German site you ordered off? And does it come with any warranty?

hadoken13 wrote: »
    How trustworthy is this site or that German site you ordered off? And does it come with any warranty?

I ordered off Digitalo.de and it has scored 4.64 out of 5 on Trusted Shops from 356 reviews in the last 12 months so thats pretty good. It comes with a 12 month warranty.

https://www.trustedshops.de/bewertung/info_XC2B7EDDBF6E300C2B5744DDB9C1476F0.html

Simply Electronics scored 4.1 out of 5 on the Review Centre from 1864 reviews so that's scored pretty good too.

http://www.reviewcentre.com/reviews230803.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Trevor451

From other threads on boards, they seem to be legit.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056437473

and yes the phone would come with a warranty :)

Edited.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Don't feed the troll...he was at it on the N8 thread too...makes one inflammatory statement and pisses off!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭wheresmybeaver

My SO got the Lumia 800 from Amazon, it's a bit more expensive but from previous experience dealing with Amazon I know if there is any kind of an issue in the next year we can get it sorted quickly and satisfactorily.

She's been using it since Monday and she's relly happy with it. It's her first smartphone and she has had zero problems navigating the phone, sending messages, downloading apps, hooking up her email, pinning stuff to the Start screen etc. I think because she never used an iPhone or Android phone she has no preconceptions and the whole thing just works intuitively for her.

I've been using a HD7 for more than a year now so of course I'm sold on WP7. The Lumia 800 is a little heavier than I was expecting it to be but the screen and build quality is amazing. The battery still has about 25% left over in the evening even though she has been using it a fair bit throughout the day. Anybody she has shown it to has also been mighty impressed, especially those with existing Nokia smart / dumbphones. Nokia have cracked it by moving away from Symbian I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭garethmc

do now hesitate, WP7 is the best mobile OS out there. Have tried them all. Got the HD7 the Titan and thinking of getting the Lumia 800 (love nokia) NOTE: lumia 900 coming out hopefully early 2011...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭kirving

Great to hear the good reviews, wil be getting a Lumia 900 if it comes out by May when my contract is up. Hopefully Meteor will stock it.

• Advertisement

garethmc wrote: »
    do now hesitate, WP7 is the best mobile OS out there. Have tried them all. Got the HD7 the Titan and thinking of getting the Lumia 800 (love nokia) NOTE: lumia 900 coming out hopefully early 2011...

Don't hold your breath for the 900 being released early over here as the 800 will only be released early next year and the 900 may be only launched in the US and select markets first.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭wheresmybeaver

Don't hold your breath for the 900 being released early over here as the 800 will only be released early next year and the 900 may be only launched in the US and select markets first.

Yeah I think the 900 is being custom made for their LTE network so it's unlikely we'll see it here. But because Nokia is now heavily invested in WP7 for their smartphone line I would be very surprised if we don't see one or two new Nokia WP7 handsets by June. WP8 is due by this time as well so you can be sure that Nokia will be coming out all guns blazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 micko2009

Was thinking of getting the Lumia online as Irish networks seem to be slow off mark with availability. Looked at simplyelectronics/digitalo and the prices seem ok.

@AntiVirus So have you received the phone yet? Am I right in saying that all the german models will have the T-Mobile flash on startup.

I'll be using it on Three Prepaid so just wondering is it just a matter of configuring the settings for 3G access etc. Done that on other networks before just not sure how easy the transition would be on Three... Obviously want everything to work.

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

It's just a case of downloading the settings...that' all!

micko2009 wrote: »
    Was thinking of getting the Lumia online as Irish networks seem to be slow off mark with availability. Looked at simplyelectronics/digitalo and the prices seem ok.

@AntiVirus So have you received the phone yet? Am I right in saying that all the german models will have the T-Mobile flash on startup.

I'll be using it on Three Prepaid so just wondering is it just a matter of configuring the settings for 3G access etc. Done that on other networks before just not sure how easy the transition would be on Three... Obviously want everything to work.

Cheers

I got one from Digitalo and one from Amazon.de, both german. The one from Digitalo has a Telekom splash screen show up for about 2 seconds, then the Nokia splash screen shows up. The Amazon one is unbranded so only shows the Nokia splash screen on boot up.

No need to config any settings, plug in your 3 sim card, turn on the phone and it will work. I'm with 3 Ireland too :)

Great phone! :D

micko2009 wrote: »

Cheers

Looking more likely that Vodafone will not be getting this phone, O2 are getting it (http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=76212283#post76212283) not sure about Meteor and 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭simi956

VF will be carrying the Lumia 800, was in chatting to a sales people from the Swords store it will be available in Jan/Feb timeframe

simi956 wrote: »
    VF will be carrying the Lumia 800, was in chatting to a sales people from the Swords store it will be available in Jan/Feb timeframe

Then we are getting conflicting opinions as Vodafone on here said it is not coming to the carrier and the same on Twitter and these would be the official responses. As we all well know, sales people will say anything to get a sale - so take what they say with a pinch of salt.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=76212319

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

I'm pretty happy with my Lumia 800 and WP7. I'm mostly a Mac user but both Macs and WP7 integrate pretty well with Google Mail, Contacts and Calendars so I'm not missing my iPhone.

The OS is really slick and everything integrates so well and the phone itself it so well put together. I've already dropped it a couple of times and there isn't a single scratch on it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭TBi

I have a first gen HTC Trophy. Really like the WP7 OS. As good as iOS and in my opinion far better than Android.

I really wanted the Lumia 800 but i'm put off by only 16GB storage and i'm not gone on the looks. Looks good in the pictures but in person i didn't like it. Might give it a look again when it is officially released in Ireland.

I'd love if HTC had released a smaller TITAN. I'm not gone on these big phones.

Advertisement