Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Martin McGuinness to be named as Sinn Féins candidate for the Presidential Election?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

dlofnep wrote: »
    I await the hilarious levels of outrage from the Sindo at his candidacy. It's worth it, just to annoy them.
    I cant wait

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭NSNO

paky wrote: »
    in all fairness, look at the opposition he has, norris is the only real threat.

why am i 'deluding' myself?

Because the Irish people will never elect a former member of the IRA Army Council as President. Simple as that. He may well come second on the first count, but he won't get a transfer from anyone supporting Higgins or Mitchell and from very few Norris supporters.

NSNO wrote: »
    Because the Irish people will never elect a former member of the IRA Army Council as President. Simple as that. He may well come second on the first count, but he won't get a transfer from anyone supporting Higgins or Mitchell and from very few Norris supporters.
    I seem to remember being told that the people of Louth would never elect Adams, that SF would never get past x amount of TDS, that the unionists would never sit in government with SF etc etc etc..

Have you not learned, that when it comes to Irish politics, you can never say never?

Wolfe Tone wrote: »
    I seem to remember being told that the people of Louth would never elect Adams, that SF would never get past x amount of TDS, that the unionists would never sit in government with SF etc etc etc..

Have you not learned, that when it comes to Irish politics, you can never say never?

I never said any of the above, so I fail to see the relevance.

Sinn Féin don't get transfers. They didn't even get transfers in the recent General Election. And a monkey with a "I hate Fianna Fáil" sign would've gotten transfers in that election.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭phantom_lord

I wonder will that strengthen Martin's resolve against running a candidate. Would be embarrassing for Labhrás Ó Murch to be beaten by a SF candidate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

And a monkey with a "I hate Fianna Fáil" sign would've gotten transfers in that election.

Hey! I voted Bobo #1!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

LOL, well I'd rate him above Adams but he is in danger of looking like a serial office holder.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭paky

hes gona get my vote for sure.
    it seems to be always the case here on boards around election time we see the resurrection of old user accounts and it becomes even more frustatingly difficult to post here when your account keeps getting frozen! WTF

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭blahfckingblah

I imagine Keith will be foaming at the mouth by this stage

I imagine Keith will be foaming at the mouth by this stage
    At the prospect of losing his beloved deputy first minister :(

He needn't worry, there are capable replacements!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,254 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Taking aside everything about McGuinness, and just looking solely at his role of Deputy First Minister. What does it say to all members of the Assembly (Unionists in particular) when he decides he wants to run for president of a different jurisdiction.

I don't think he will win, so will he simply step aside from the role for 6 weeks then come straight back into the job? :confused:

paky wrote: »
    hes gona get my vote for sure.
    it seems to be always the case here on boards around election time we see the resurrection of old user accounts and it becomes even more frustatingly difficult to post here when your account keeps getting frozen! WTF

Hm? I post regularly enough on boards.ie, read it every day or so. Rarely do I post if I can't add something new to a discussion.

Let's face it, election time is the only time this forum moves beyond anything but Wolfe Tone vs. KeithAFC debate #4079, hating the unions, hating the bankers, hating FF, hating FG, hating Labour, hating the EU............ etc. etc.

Would my opinion be more valid if I had a thousand more posts? Would I fit in to the little 'club' here better then? :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 329 ✭✭vellocet

Really?

Sean_T_OKelly_WhiteHouse_19390517.jpg

de_valera_eamon.jpg

vellocet wrote: »
    Really?

Sean_T_OKelly_WhiteHouse_19390517.jpg

de_valera_eamon.jpg

Yawn. We both know that in the collective memory and opinion of the Irish people that there is a massive difference between Martin McGuinness and those two men. Any attempt at comparing them is either deliberate disingenuity or utter delusion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

A major Sinn Fein candidate, 2016 - waits in anticipation of many heads exploding with outrage!

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

It is martin mcguinness! Well its a brave choice wonder how it will go down!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭blahfckingblah

At the prospect of losing his beloved deputy first minister :(

He needn't worry, there are capable replacements!
    Plenty of viable candidates for that job as joint leader

gambiaman wrote: »
    A major Sinn Fein candidate, 2016 - waits in anticipation of many heads exploding with outrage!

What would cause outrage? I think most would have been surprised if they didn't run someone. No chance of winning anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

When taking the salute I imagine the Irish Army would be far too polite to shoot the President of Ireland dead. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

What would cause outrage? I think most would have been surprised if they didn't run someone. No chance of winning anyway.

It's SF. It's McGuinness. What's not to draw outrage!

Just heard on TV3, if elected he will draw the avg. industrial wage for himself.
    That's one box ticked for me - Mr Higgins waffled and did not answer the question when asked although he said he'd defer his multiple taxpayers provided pensions.

• Advertisement

Wait and see...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 189 ✭✭Bergkamp 10

He wont win, but the thing is I dont think Norris will win either. I would say alot of people will not vote for either of them for several different reasons.

Micheal D Higgins could be the massive winner here, I think he would make a good president also.

Really hope nobody else wins though. I guess it all comes down to the this:
    The Irish public take everything read in the papers as truth, so who will the media back their bandwagon for against McGuinness?

Yawn. We both know that in the collective memory and opinion of the Irish people that there is a massive difference between Martin McGuinness and those two men. Any attempt at comparing them is either deliberate disingenuity or utter delusion.

But thats not what you said. You inferred the Irish electorate would never vote senior IRA men into the office. I gave you two examples of them doing exactly that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

mike65 wrote: »
    When taking the salute I imagine the Irish Army would be far too polite to shoot the President of Ireland dead. ;)

The actual Irish Army or the crowd that just call themselves that ?

So you will be voting for him then Liam? :)

vellocet wrote: »
    But thats not what you said. You inferred the Irish electorate would never vote senior IRA men into the office. I gave you two examples of them doing exactly that.

So is it disingenuity or utter delusion then?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,000 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

He will draw the average industrial wage, but the remainder of his salary will go back into the Sinn Fein organisation. I think that's disgraceful. The salary should just be reduced dramatically and that's it.

There's one thing having a Sinn Fein candidate as a councillor or even a TD, but the head of state? I can't see him getting the necessary 35% first preference vote, but he will do well.

I think it's time FF supported Norris.

gambiaman wrote: »
    Just heard on TV3, if elected he will draw the avg. industrial wage for himself.
    That's one box ticked for me - Mr Higgins waffled and did not answer the question when asked although he said he'd defer his multiple taxpayers provided pensions.

And will give the rest to SF, it's not like he's returning it to the exchequer or using it for any useful cause.
    Wait and see...

What would you rate his chances of winning?

So is it disingenuity or utter delusion then?

Try harder petal.

The point is obvious. While a large chunk of the electorate won't vote MMG because of his military past, there are people who will, and history shows that they have. Two Presidents of the Republic were senior IRA men. If you think Dev was less controversial when he moved into mainstream politics than MMG, I suggest you do a bit of reading about the time.

The one bad thing about this candidate is we will have a pain in our holes with the Sindo hysteria about it. I am going to open a book on the first commentator based on talbot st who claims they will emigrate if he wins.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

So you will be voting for him then Liam? :)

Naw.....y'see I treat everyone the same, objectively evaluating their opinions and actions.

So McGuinness, Ahern, Norris are absolutely out, and if I keep the objectivity going then Gay Mitchell is out for the same (if slightly less objectionable) reasons as Norris and McGuinness - supporting murderers.

It's looking like the only "least objectionable" option is Mickey D, and I wouldn't be impressed enough with him enough to vote for him were it not for the fact that I will do my damnedest to ensure that the other 3 don't get in.

Anyway - now that I have your attention; how come you're ruling Norris out because he wrote letters trying to get criminals off for their crime, but you're happy to support McGuinness who did the exact same thing ?

Advertisement