Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

...and back to Connemara.

• 01-01-2011 7:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭

2010 didn't exactly end on a running high with me not having run since the start of December :o for a mixture of perfectly valid reasons and some lazy ass reasons.
    What better way to start the new year than by setting some new goals and dusting off the cobwebs with a shiny new training log.
    At the minute the Connemara half on April 10th is the main target but I intend to take in the Craughwell 10 mile along the way. I won't set any lofty time goals just now and just see how it works out although beating last years times would be good.
    As of yet my only other target for the year is to beat Meathcountysec to 1000;)

And to start off I belted out a massive 3 miles on the treadmill this evening in a whopping 31.30. At least I can still move :rolleyes: If I do the Athenry 10k on Monday it'll simply be an exercise in getting back out there, no more :)

Miles this week: 3
    Miles this year: 3

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

Best of luck in 2011 Littlebug. Its about time we all got back on track eh

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭Speedy44

welcome back LB, and what d'ya mean "if you do Athenry" !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

Best of luck LB. Fingers, toes and everything else crossed that we can stay injury free and succeed at reaching some lofty goals this year. See you in Conn! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Blueskye

Good to have you back LB. Also doing Connemara half. Best of luck with the training.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

...and back to Connemara

Ah the wheel has turned full circle!

Welcome back Littlebug, you might see me in Knockma this year I have been over there a good bit lately, lovely place!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Speedy44 wrote: »
    what d'ya mean "if you do Athenry" !!

8pm and I'm still undecided :o I've had too much to drink these past few nights and stuffed my face with chocolate all day today. If I do decide to "run" just look out for the short fat slow one and say hello!
    catweazle wrote: »
    ...and back to Connemara

Ah the wheel has turned full circle!

Welcome back Littlebug, you might see me in Knockma this year I have been over there a good bit lately, lovely place!

Yes I'll probably just grind to a permanent halt on the finish line of Connemara! I haven't been to knockma for ages but it's on the connemara training plan so I'll be there soon. Weekday mornings probably so I mightn't bump into you.

Clara and Blueskye... see you both in Conn!

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

littlebug wrote: »
    Clara and Blueskye... see you both in Conn!
    I'll see ye all in Conn too :)

Good to see ya getting back into the swing of things LB :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,683 ✭✭✭BrokenMan

Good to see you back in training LB. Best of luck with all your goals, its going to be a year full of PBs for you.

Now get yourself over to Athenry tomorrow, where else are you going to get a free hat on a bank holiday.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Magnet

See you in Athenry tomorrow - say Hello if I don`t see you first!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

LB best of luck with the log and the training in 2011. :)

• Advertisement

so..eh... I didn't get out of bed early enough to go to Athenry. Well I could have made it but it would have been a big rush. It's very unusual for my 6 year old human alarm clock to sleep beyond 7am but he chose this morning to do so....

I was a bit unsure about going anyway given my inability in the past to treat races as training runs so I probably would have ended up disappointed.
    Instead I took my time and went to run my usual 10k loop. After a couple of minutes I switched the garmin over to hr so I wouldn't be tormenting myself with times and got the shock of my life to see hr 230 :eek: I felt fine and was barely jogging so I assume it's something wrong with the hrm rather than wrong with me! It dropped after the first 1/3 mile and hovered between 100-150.... way lower than my usual for the rest of the run. new batteries needed.
    Run was grand.. kept it slow (10.30ish) til the 5th mile where I pushed the pace. My out of shape-ness then showed itself so the last mile was walk/ run. Hr rate apparently down to 56 when walking :D

I'm half sorry to have missed Athenry for the sake of the company and meeting/ running with people but hey there are other races. if I can get up to speed in the next fortnight maybe I'll do the Tuam 8k instead.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Might be a blessing in disguise to get a few more consistent weeks in before racing again. Doing that 8k might be fun though :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

Great to see the new log LB - good luck in the training for Conn. May see you there, depends on how training for Barca goes over the next few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭meathcountysec

As of yet my only other target for the year is to beat Meathcountysec to 1000;)

You’re already ahead of me there. :(

Best of luck with your other targets and your new log. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭ronanmac

Best of luck with 2011, littlebug. Might see you in Tuam!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

Instead I took my time and went to run my usual 10k loop. After a couple of minutes I switched the garmin over to hr so I wouldn't be tormenting myself with times and got the shock of my life to see hr 230 :eek: I felt fine and was barely jogging so I assume it's something wrong with the hrm rather than wrong with me! It dropped after the first 1/3 mile and hovered between 100-150.... way lower than my usual for the rest of the run. new batteries needed.

They can often give a crazy high reading at the start until they calibrate (does that sound like I know what I'm talking about cos I don't) .... Did you have the HR strap on the wrong way around? :D

Best of luck with the new log and 2011 training!!

My HR monitor is bollixed altogether, its low 50s in the car which is about right and no sooner as I start running it is well over 200 for the whole run. I think it has something to do with all the layers I am wearing these days, I am hoping it will start working again when i am down to the t-shirt.

Might see both of ye in Tuam!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

My HR monitor is bollixed altogether, its low 50s in the car which is about right and no sooner as I start running it is well over 200 for the whole run. I think it has something to do with all the layers I am wearing these days, I am hoping it will start working again when i am down to the t-shirt.

Might see both of ye in Tuam!

There is definately something to this theory. Mine was jumping from 200 to 100 constatnly during the cold spell in December. Someone pointed out to me that it was probably all the layers I was wearing, seems to be back to normal at the moment.

Best of luck with the new log/goals LB. See you in connemara maybe (though you'll have to hang around the finish line for at least an hour, unless you walk the half).

menoscemo wrote: »
    There is definately something to this theory. Mine was jumping from 200 to 100 constatnly during the cold spell in December. Someone pointed out to me that it was probably all the layers I was wearing, seems to be back to normal at the moment.

I don't get how layers would have an effect on it:confused: Is it the signal from hrm to watch being impeded? I'll try it on a treadmill run with just a t shirt and see what happens. it hasn't been used since october so it's probably just the battery... or my heart :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭specialk1977

best of luck with ur log littlebug..i might see you in Connemara

• Advertisement

I don't get how layers would have an effect on it:confused: Is it the signal from hrm to watch being impeded? I'll try it on a treadmill run with just a t shirt and see what happens. it hasn't been used since october so it's probably just the battery... or my heart :eek:

I think its something to do with the static created. I know you can get dodgy readings when you wear a technical t-shirt as well. But I imagine all the layers creating static is causing it..........my HRM still works fine on the turbo in the attic. I am shirtless there due to the sweat though. Try the threadmill with a cotton t-shirt on.........or go barechested like myself :p

I think its something to do with the static created. I know you can get dodgy readings when you wear a technical t-shirt as well. But I imagine all the layers creating static is causing it..........my HRM still works fine on the turbo in the attic. I am shirtless there due to the sweat though.

that makes more sense. I had a tech t-shirt with a cotton one over it.

.or go barechested like myself :p

:eek: Dear lord no! I don't know if my family would laugh or cry at such a sight :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

I don't get it either, I changed the battery and everything and it had no effect. When I went back to wearing just one or two layers it seemed to go back to giving me normal readings :confused: The winter looks to be coming again so probably time to ditch the HRM strap again for a while :pac:

3 miles on the treadmill. 11/8.34:)/9.54

I know it's not "real life" running but good to see the legs can still turnover at a half decent pace even if it was for just one mile. I don't think i've done a sub 9 minute mile even on the TM since last summer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

Excellent fast mile there littlebug. Will be a long while before Im fit enough to reach that kind of speed.

Bally8 wrote: »
    Excellent fast mile there littlebug. Will be a long while before Im fit enough to reach that kind of speed.

You could surprise yourself B8. I set the TM to 7mph just to see how far I would get with the backup plan of doing intervals if I couldn't keep going. After half a mile I felt ok so I notched it up to 7.2 for the second half. I'm still a long way off what I was though.... a lot of work to do.

I had planned 6 miles on the road this morning but the when I nearly went bellyup a few times out walking the mutt I decided that running might not be such a good idea. The day got away on me then so it was back to the treadmill for 6 miles. 11/4x10/11. I'm happy with that though would be happier with it on the road.
    There was a near disaster when the dog jumped onto the treadmill with me :eek: I'm not sure which of us got the biggest shock when she went flying:D

yikes i'm not so good at keeping this up to date :rolleyes:

This has been a funny week. I'm trying to teach the mutt to run with me so it's all been a bit stop/start and at odd hours due to work commitments. Trying to run in the dark with the dog is interesting! At a guess I'd say I've covered 25 miles this week but it's anyones guess how much of that has been running.... I'll be conservative and say 12. It's not much and it was slow but all for the greater good.

Onto bigger issues.... 12 weeks to Connemara so tomorrow I start the 12 week Hal Higdon HM training programme. I'm going all out and going with the intermediate programme this time :D running 5 days, one of which will be hill work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭DigiJem

Good luck with Hal’s intermediate programme, I’m doing that one myself although I’m choosing to be a little flexible with that 5th day of training :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭Emer911

Onto bigger issues.... 12 weeks to Connemara so tomorrow I start the 12 week Hal Higdon HM training programme. I'm going all out and going with the intermediate programme this time :D running 5 days, one of which will be hill work.
    DigiJem wrote: »
    Good luck with Hal’s intermediate programme, I’m doing that one myself although I’m choosing to be a little flexible with that 5th day of training :)

LOL. I was 'following' Hal's intermediate plan, but taking liberties with the 5th day too. Of course I did substitute the running with some cross training (yoga), so I didn't feel like I was cheating THAT much. :D They do say that the training has to fit your lifestyle, right?! :rolleyes:

Good luck with the plan littlebug.

Advertisement