Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dublin Bus looking for Drivers

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭V.W.L 11

how long does it take from submitting the application to hearing anything back ?
    I submitted mine a year ago,got the acknowledgement in 2 weeks,waiting ever since :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

V.W.L 11 wrote: »
    I submitted mine a year ago,got the acknowledgement in 2 weeks,waiting ever since :rolleyes:

i got the acknowledgement on the 24 july..... just waiting :/

i got the acknowledgement on the 24 july..... just waiting :/
    DB or BE????i'll be waiting and waiting i'd say,have you experience?

DB or BE????i'll be waiting and waiting i'd say,have you experience?

DB ... have the licence + CPC just no experience

DB ... have the licence + CPC just no experience
    that is where I am caught also!!!!I have the lot too!soon to be doing my 4th cpc module

• Advertisement

that is where I am caught also!!!!I have the lot too!soon to be doing my 4th cpc module

Yeah its a catch 22.... need experience to get the job. need the job to get experience !

I applied for other places like dublin and others... wonder should i follow them up ?

Yeah its a catch 22.... need experience to get the job. need the job to get experience !

I applied for other places like dublin and others... wonder should i follow them up ?
    Just had a conversation with a bus operator in the last few hours,he is giving me my break:D so OP if I can do it then you most certainly can :)

Dublin bus just pulled down the ad off their site for drivers....

Dublin bus just pulled down the ad off their site for drivers....

any luck with a job with a private firm?

any luck with a job with a private firm?

Nothing yet .. rang one company to follow up but was told age was an issue.

Still throwing out applications as much as i can to see what comes through if any !

How is yours going ?

• Advertisement

Nothing yet .. rang one company to follow up but was told age was an issue.

Still throwing out applications as much as i can to see what comes through if any !

How is yours going ?
    FFS there's never a dull moment with some companies :rolleyes: its 23 for Bus Eireann but 21 to actually get the licence,which you have,so how can they say age is an issue???that's ageism :mad:

FFS there's never a dull moment with some companies :rolleyes: its 23 for Bus Eireann but 21 to actually get the licence,which you have,so how can they say age is an issue???that's ageism :mad:

Funny enough. ... there's a section on buseireanns website saying they don't discriminate against things like gender age etc. So i applied anyway. But I'm 23 in October anyway !

Funny enough. ... there's a section on buseireanns website saying they don't discriminate against things like gender age etc. So i applied anyway. But I'm 23 in October anyway !

not long to go so!put in the application once you turn 23,you may get lucky

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭macroman

I'm in no way affiliated with this company, but it may interest some drivers that Topdeck are recruiting for drivers based in Europe, Spain/Portugal & UK/Ireland. I drove a season with another similar company and enjoyed it. Training is a bit like the military but you'll realise how necessary when you're out on your first tour...:eek:

http://topdeck.applynow.net.au/

Last year interviews were held first week of December in the Maldron on Parnell Sq. Machinery is mostly Volvo 9700 & Volvo Berkhoff Axial coaches. All Dutch based left hookers.

• Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭liger

macroman wrote: »
    Topdeck are recruiting for drivers based in Europe, Spain/Portugal & UK/Ireland. .

Are these just summer work or full time? Any idea what the pay is like?

Just got a letter from dublin bus....

Invitation to driving assesment !

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭Careful_now!

Best of luck!!

Hope it goes well for you.

that can only mean one thing hopefully :D best of luck with it :)

that can only mean one thing hopefully :D best of luck with it :)

Thanks lads... really hoping so !

If they offer i will accept, no hesitation !

Thanks lads... really hoping so !

If they offer i will accept, no hesitation !

One of the lads working with me is leaving to join Dublin bus actually so grab the opportunity let's hope bus eireann write to me next

• Advertisement

Just wondering... looking through the thread the lads say theres a written assesment.

It includes questions on stages and an accident report.

Is that all the written part is ? I got the letter stating that its 2 hours long ? Including aptitude test + garda vetting

Just wondering... looking through the thread the lads say theres a written assesment.

It includes questions on stages and an accident report.

Is that all the written part is ? I got the letter stating that its 2 hours long ? Including aptitude test + garda vetting

Garda vetting is as standard nowadays and aptitude tests are for those with no previous experience I think

Garda vetting is as standard nowadays and aptitude tests are for those with no previous experience I think

Looks like thats what i have to do first !

Would hate for an aptitude test to let it all down !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Nomis21

insurance is the issue

liger wrote: »
    Are these just summer work or full time? Any idea what the pay is like?

I passed my test in 1984 and Top Deck was the first company I ever worked for.

They may possibly have changed a bit in 28 years but back then...

1. You paid for the training course

2. You only worked when they needed you and were given tours based on seniority or if your face fitted.

3. If you are not Australian you had better have something else about you that they like.

Good fun though if you're cut out for it and also not bothered about money too much.

Nomis21 wrote: »
    insurance is the issue
    took me ages to get work,if its not experience its age!why allow someone get a licence at 21 if the insurers make an issue of it?f**ked up :mad:

took me ages to get work,if its not experience its age!why allow someone get a licence at 21 if the insurers make an issue of it?f**ked up :mad:

It's actually not an issue getting insured

I've been looking into it a bit and what it is employers can add someone under 25 to the fleet policy no problem but bbecause the norm is 25 and over on fleets the insurance company ask for extra money for each person under 25

This is why im not a driver for a private company yet.... ive been giving the all good from one private employer but they are waiting for the insurance company to give the go ahead

Also another major company in dublin would've hired me and added me to the policy if i had experience regardless of age.

Once you have the licence it can be done ... just depends if the employer will invest in you !

There used to be a shortage of bus drivers in Ireland. Then some operators would pay the extra insurance costs to insure their buses for 21 year olds. They don't need to do that now.

Also in the past, bus conductors with a good record who reached the age of 21 were offered driver training.

Sons and daughters of bus operators got their dad to insure them so they could start driving at 21.

Mechanics need a bus licence and insurance allows them to drive at 21 without passengers.

There used to be a shortage of bus drivers in Ireland. Then some operators would pay the extra insurance costs to insure their buses for 21 year olds. They don't need to do that now.

Also in the past, bus conductors with a good record who reached the age of 21 were offered driver training.

Sons and daughters of bus operators got their dad to insure them so they could start driving at 21.

Mechanics need a bus licence and insurance allows them to drive at 21 without passengers.
    this is going to happen again in the next 10 years

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

insurance is the issue

Don't think its insurance, its my understanding that CIE are self insured as they are a state company.

Advertisement