Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Chinese Android Phones

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

that looks normal to me. Its always my highest user of battery and I rarely make calls.

Actually, does anyone have trouble getting their phone to deep-sleep when the screen is off?
    i constantly have to fix permissions in TWRP to get it to start working again, but it only stays working for about 4-5 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭irishbarb

I've been looking at these Chinese phones for awhile, but was always afraid to order one. Glad I came across this thread! Anyone have any recommendations of a phone for a 14 year old boy? Doesn't really play games but he is always on snapchat and Instagram. So would need a decent camera. Max budget would be around €100, including shipping that would take two weeks at the most. Can you even get phones for that price that would be better than a phone from Meteor at similar price? Thanks in advance for any tips.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭wiz569

RossieMan wrote: »

Actually, does anyone have trouble getting their phone to deep-sleep when the screen is off?
    i constantly have to fix permissions in TWRP to get it to start working again, but it only stays working for about 4-5 hours.

No m8,once sync and wifi are off and Talk/hangouts are disabled that is lol

• Registered Users Posts: 17,865 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

irishbarb wrote: »
    I've been looking at these Chinese phones for awhile, but was always afraid to order one. Glad I came across this thread! Anyone have any recommendations of a phone for a 14 year old boy? Doesn't really play games but he is always on snapchat and Instagram. So would need a decent camera. Max budget would be around €100, including shipping that would take two weeks at the most. Can you even get phones for that price that would be better than a phone from Meteor at similar price? Thanks in advance for any tips.
    €100 will only get you trash here to be honest, well maybe not but there will be something lacking whether thats screen, battery, processor or something, better off asking in the Vodafone/O2/3/Meteor outlets what their budget smartphone is, they usually have something in that price range these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

If you can push the budget a bit you could get this one

http://www.geekbuying.com/item/Inew-V3-5-0inch-IPS-HD-Screen-MTK6582-Quad-core-1-3GHz-Android-4-2-1GB-16GB-13-0MP-Rear-Camera-NFC-OTG-with-3G-GPS---White-322990.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

Thargor wrote: »
    Pity it looks like just another ugly plastic Samsung ripoff:

http://www.gizmochina.com/tag/meizu-mx4/

I think more square and slim like the Xiaomis and ZTE is definitely the way to go in future, thats what Im waiting for anyway.

Not plastic, but a magnesium/aluminum alloy, apparently: m.gsmarena.com/meizu_mx4_goes_official_with_536_display_octacore_cpu_207mp_cam-news-9521.php

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭Simi

I ordered this the other day. http://www.focalprice.com/MK0266B/UHAPPY_UP520_5.0_3G_Smartphone_with_Capacitive_IPS_COF_G_F_F_Double_Layer_Glass.html

It's far from spectacular, but on paper it beats anything you'll pick up in a shop here for less than €100. We'll see how it fares in reality. I'll post a review when I have it, but since I opted for free postage that could be several weeks from now. It is available from other sites with faster delivery options if you wish to take a leap of faith.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭MrAbc

I was looking to try out a really cheap Chinese 5" phone from a "good" brand (AKA very hopefully non-fake,non-trash) and am now waiting on a THL T6s for $90
    ...notable items for the price I thought(not tested yet though): 5", KitKat 4.4.2, quad core, 1GB/8GB, ~5MP AF camera with flash, OTG[I think! some say yes, some say no! <shrug>]
    but compromised on accepting 854x480px display (in hope) for slight battery benefit given only 1900mAh(will see!);
    URL="http://www.pandawill.com/thl-t6s-smartphone-mtk6582m-50-inch-ips-1gb-8gb-android-44-gps-3g-white-p92265.html"]ordered from banggood, but still $90 from eg pandawill[/URL

Few other models I looked at for comparisons on spec-per-price [spec fatigue after a while!]: Doogee DG800 (bad battery drain); Elephone P6i (GPS problems) and P10c and P10 (both higher display, yet still basic battery, +higher price);
    ...or then higher prices, better specs(different aspects for each eg 4G, battery, proper internal memory(not internal SD), physical durability or community support/ROMs)... THL L969 (mainly for 2700mAh); Zopo ZP320; Xiaomi Red 1s; Huawei Honor 3c[esp. '3G only', 2GB ram version]; Lenovo S850; Jiayu G4S; etc, etc, etc crazy number of models...

Also looked at [older,cheaper] Jiayu F1 as option for basic smartphone prez for parents... $74 URL="http://www.pandawill.com/jiayu-f1-smartphone-3g-gps-android-42-mtk6572w-40-inch-2400mah-white-p87432.html"]Pandawill[/URL: larger battery(2400mAh) => good talk time maybe, given just simple spec: dual core, 4", 800x480, 512MB/4GB, 5MP camera+AF+flash, Android 4.2.2 [important note: 3G WCDMA version, not TD-SCDMA with Aliyun OS!!]. Thinking over the white version; black version looks a bit brick-like :)

NB another point gleaned in favour of the better known brands is possibility of proper cases/covers/etc being available specific to that phone... perhaps esp important for cheaper models with less durable construction/screen(?).

Anyway, it all seems part of the bargain-hunting fun of these Chinese phones :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,009 ✭✭✭eamonnq

eamonnq wrote: »

Am ordering one of the Xiaomi M1S today, but am going to use Xiaomishop and their eu shipping.

Ordered this from Xiaomishop, still at 'preparation in EU warehouse' since I ordered it, have sent them an email enquiring as to when it will ship, but have not had any response. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭Fabio

Feck. My M1s is after departing Hong Kong apparently. Hopefully it touches down somewhere in Europe today, might hvae it by Friday then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭unaaine

Ordered this from Xiaomishop, still at 'preparation in EU warehouse' since I ordered it, have sent them an email enquiring as to when it will ship, but have not had any response. :mad:

I ordered from Xiaomiship on Monday eve and haven't heard anything from them yet save a payment receipt. Do they send you a tracking no. when the phone is shipped? Can't see an obvious link on their website where you can track the order.

unaaine wrote: »
    I ordered from Xiaomiship on Monday eve and haven't heard anything from them yet save a payment receipt. Do they send you a tracking no. when the phone is shipped? Can't see an obvious link on their website where you can track the order.

You can view your 'order status' on their website and I think they would email a tracking number when your order is shipped. (If it does get shipped!!) :eek:

You can view your 'order status' on their website and I think they would email a tracking number when your order is shipped. (If it does get shipped!!) :eek:

Account info only shows order and payment verified. So I'm assuming it hasn't been shipped. I paid extra for EU warehouse delivery '2-5 business days without customs issue'. So I'll be pretty p***ed off if it doesn't arrive by Friday or Monday next at the very least.

I got a dhl tracking number via the messages function in the "My Account" section, rather than via email or in the status box in the order details, as you might expect.

corwill wrote: »
    I got a dhl tracking number via the messages function in the "My Account" section, rather than via email or in the status box in the order details, as you might expect.

Would messages be under 'My Alerts' in 'My Account' section? There's nothing there anyway.

Account info only shows order and payment verified. So I'm assuming it hasn't been shipped. I paid extra for EU warehouse delivery '2-5 business days without customs issue'. So I'll be pretty p***ed off if it doesn't arrive by Friday or Monday next at the very least.

That is the delivery time from after it is shipped, it does not include however many days that they take to 'process' the order.

That is the delivery time from after it is shipped, it does not include however many days that they take to 'process' the order.

Ok. No need to get worked up yet I guess as only ordered on Monday eve. It will be interesting to see how long it takes to process the order, I would've expected that end of things to be fairly quick.

I think it 'should' be quicker than it is on this occasion, it might indicate a problem with supplying the order.

Would messages be under 'My Alerts' in 'My Account' section? There's nothing there anyway.

If you click on the order reference in order history, any messages should appear toward the bottom of the screen.

Ok. No need to get worked up yet I guess as only ordered on Monday eve. It will be interesting to see how long it takes to process the order, I would've expected that end of things to be fairly quick.

I take it you read, the bit about using the European warehouse on their website.

"Normally, Goods will be always in stock in Shenzhen, except making material shortage. Should you like to ship out from European warehouse and need the goods urgently, please confirm weather in stock before make the order, you can contact us on our Facebook
    https://www.facebook.com/en.xiaomishop"

• Advertisement

I take it you read, the bit about using the European warehouse on their website.

"Normally, Goods will be always in stock in Shenzhen, except making material shortage. Should you like to ship out from European warehouse and need the goods urgently, please confirm weather in stock before make the order, you can contact us on our Facebook
    "

Of course I didn't read it!! But have received a message from them to say it's ready to ship except that I didn't supply a phone number. Which I've now done. So hopefully will receive notification that it's on it's way soon!

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭BullBauld

I posted this over on the Xiaomi owners thread but it might get more notice here...

Hi all

Got my 1S the other day. Whats the easiest way to root it, not too up to speed on these things.

Also having problems downloading my apps in play store, it attempts to start downloading but doesn't go anywhere. Is this connected to the lack of root or another issue.

Apologies for the probably basic questions. Hope you can help.

Thanks
    Bull

• Registered Users Posts: 17,865 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

BullBauld wrote: »
    Also having problems downloading my apps in play store, it attempts to start downloading but doesn't go anywhere. Is this connected to the lack of root or another issue.
    You trying to download with a dataplan instead of wifi? If so go into the Playstore>Settings>Untick "download large files over wifi only".

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭BullBauld

Thargor wrote: »
    You trying to download with a dataplan instead of wifi? If so go into the Playstore>Settings>Untick "download large files over wifi only".

That worked a treat, thanks for your help.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

BullBauld wrote: »
    I posted this over on the Xiaomi owners thread but it might get more notice here...

Hi all

Got my 1S the other day. Whats the easiest way to root it, not too up to speed on these things.

Apologies for the probably basic questions. Hope you can help.

Thanks
    Bull

Try here for info on rooting http://en.miui.com/forum.php?mod=forumdisplay&fid=58&page=1&mobile=2 I think I came across a thread on it there.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

The Jiayu j3s can be got for about 80 euro!

• Registered Users Posts: 10 mayogal2014

Hi all,

newbie here :) has anyone purchased a phone directly from doogeemobile? I just did there on Tuesday and wondering how long delivery usually takes? I paid for express posting 3-5 days not expecting it to be here any time soon tho. Also did you get hit with customs?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Hi all,

newbie here :) has anyone purchased a phone directly from doogeemobile? I just did there on Tuesday and wondering how long delivery usually takes? I paid for express posting 3-5 days not expecting it to be here any time soon tho. Also did you get hit with customs?

Was it the Doogee Kissme you ordered?:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 10 mayogal2014

Was it the Doogee Kissme you ordered?:D:D:D

haha no dg800

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭spartan5397

The Mi3 is very expensive for a phone with no 4g and been a year old, anyone know if they are going to lower the price at all?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement