Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

commuting on road bike with no eyelets ?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

It's not hard to fashion up some removable eyelets using correctly sized pipe clamps with a strip of old inner tube placed between the clamp and the frame to prevent scratching and movement.

nylon-pipe-cable-clamp-p-clip-652457.jpg

I did something similar using clips I found in a scrapped aircraft fuselage. Will post a pic up later.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

el tel wrote: »
    It's not hard to fashion up some removable eyelets using correctly sized pipe clamps with a strip of old inner tube placed between the clamp and the frame to prevent scratching and movement.

They're not as good as proper braze-ons. They wobble too much. You'd also have to keep checking whether the inner tube has been worn through by the p-clip.

This is my 2nd pro braze-on post in 10 mins. I need to get a life.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭Turbulent Bill

I'd recommend the Axiom Streamliner Road, I have an older version of this and it's great. Attaches to the bike using the rear skewer and brake boss, so no eyelets required. Mine is very sturdy and easily carries standard panniers. Added advantage is that the rack is mounted a bit behind the rear axle which helps avoid heel strikes on the pannier.

Also use Crud Roadracer Mk1s, pretty good and tougher than they look. Managed to break one of the stays and tail of the front guard with my foot (don't ask) but they're still going strong.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

I'd recommend the Axiom Streamliner Road, I have an older version of this and it's great.
    Nice one. Never saw these before. I have an old steel bike I wanted to mount a rack too. And now I can.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

Seweryn wrote: »
    I do not have any photo with the commuters bag, but I can take one and I will post here later this evening or tomorrow.
    As promissed:

7030129421_91e1f065dd_b.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭mp31

Thanks Mp31. That is a good 400 euro over budget (at the max end too) - it is 800 over the starting point of my budget. It also has a fair deal of tiagra components. Also I think I'd prefer alluminium for commuting (not sure why but in my head it is more sturdy or something ??? - I have a carbon bike as my 'good' bike). Thanks very much though - throws up other options with mudguards etc:)
    ps - MP31 - if i had 1800 to spend I think i'd go a cannondale caad 10

Aye good point there. I'd love to try out the Trek/Cannondale/Canyon etc. just to see what all the fuss is about. Being a relative newcomer to the world of cycling I'm amazed by the sheer range of bikes out there and wonder what it is about one bike over another that makes it so desirable.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

And mine in commute mode:
    6884248200_db542bb1bc.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭Redjeep!

I have the same problem as the OP in that I commute on a roadbike with no eyelets and am still looking for how to carry my gear. I'm using a rucksack but hate it due to the weight and bulk.

The Carradice is looking the favourite at the moment, but the price seems a bit steep, although I realise it'll probably outlive me.

I've also got the cruds and like them a lot, however my rear one got taken out last week on the commute when I ran over something that went through my rear tyre, trashed my week old Conti 4 seasons and scratched my rim. The only signs left of the crud were two little bits where the support arms were mounted.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Redjeep! wrote: »
    I have the same problem as the OP in that I commute on a roadbike with no eyelets and am still looking for how to carry my gear. I'm using a rucksack but hate it due to the weight and bulk.

The Carradice is looking the favourite at the moment, but the price seems a bit steep, although I realise it'll probably outlive me.

I've also got the cruds and like them a lot, however my rear one got taken out last week on the commute when I ran over something that went through my rear tyre, trashed my week old Conti 4 seasons and scratched my rim. The only signs left of the crud were two little bits where the support arms were mounted.

The rear flap of my panniers got sucked under my SKS chromoplastic mudguards. The rear wheel locked up and brought me to a halt. I pulled the panniers out and repositioned them on the rack and bent the SKS mudgaurds back into shape. No visible damage and there still going.

I cant see cruds standing up to the same abuse to be honest :D

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭Redjeep!

BX 19 wrote: »
    The rear flap of my panniers got sucked under my SKS chromoplastic mudguards. The rear wheel locked up and brought me to a halt. I pulled the panniers out and repositioned them on the rack and bent the SKS mudgaurds back into shape. No visible damage and there still going.

I cant see cruds standing up to the same abuse to be honest :D

No. Literally the only bits of the rear mudguard left were the two arms mounted to the seat stays and a bit of the actual mudguard between the arms. Wish I'd taken a photo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭wersal gummage

finally managed to convince myself to go with the Giant Defy 1 as it has the eyelets for my rack, panniers and full length mudguards etc.

Cant find anywhere with an XL in stock. Getting estimates of 'maybe june or july' for when they'll be in stock.... I'm on the bus in the mean time, this is not good.

So, before I order a Canyon roadlite (which as Lumen wisely says, this is 'the one case where a canyon makes no sense') can anyone suggest an alternative ??? I am not really into the ribble bike and I'm not too keen on a custom type frame or build. Something off the shelf with a quick delivery is really what I want. The cruds and SKS mudguards seem to be getting good reviews, I'm thinking the canyon won't be so bad..... ??

They're not as good as proper braze-ons. They wobble too much. You'd also have to keep checking whether the inner tube has been worn through by the p-clip.

This is my 2nd pro braze-on post in 10 mins. I need to get a life.

pete,

can braze ons be 'brazed on??' after one has the bike ?? is this difficult/expensive if at all possible ?? Thanks:)

I did the sensible thing in the end.... and bought a bright white Canyon for commuting on. Have commuted a full week on it now and have to say that the SKS raceblades are rubbish compared to full length guards. Also went with the carradice bag as suggested.

Thanks for the tips.

IMAG0186.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,457 ✭✭✭lennymc

I did the sensible thing in the end.... and bought a bright white Canyon for commuting on. Have commuted a full week on it now and have to say that the SKS raceblades are rubbish compared to full length guards. Also went with the carradice bag as suggested.

Thanks for the tips.

IMAG0186.jpg

holy thread revival. How do you find the carradice bag for commuting?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

lennymc wrote: »
    holy thread revival. How do you find the carradice bag for commuting?
    I would also be interested in other people's feedback.

BTW, my one still serves me as well as the day I bough it and I believe the bag together with the mudguards is the best upgrade package my bike ever got.

I recently replaced one of the seat clamps and waxed the fabric with hot applied wax that I bought from the bag manufacturer to maintain the waterproofness, although it was never a problem and the bag has always been waterproof.

The bag has been in use on my bike for about 37k km / 1,500 hours in all weather conditions and performed superbly. A truly fantastic piece of kit. It is almost unnoticable if not heavy loaded, and I can't imagine my daily commuting without that bag.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭AmberGold

You should have gone for the Raceblade Long, nearly no difference between them & standard mudguards.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,457 ✭✭✭lennymc

AmberGold wrote: »
    You should have gone for the Raceblade Long, nearly no difference between them & standard mudguards.

mine fell apart. They are not very robust.

Advertisement