Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

bicycle weight for 8 yr old

Options
  • 12-05-2014 8:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭

Bought CBR Warrior 18 spd bike for my son's birthday. However, now that I have the bike home I'm wondering is it too heavy for him @ 14-15kg. He weighs around 25kg. Bike hasn't been taken out on road yet so can still change it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭lismuse

Return it .
    Take a look at Frog bikes. They have distributors here so you should be able to try one out for size etc. I bought a Frog 55 last year for my then six yr old, a tad on the big side at the time but he will have it for 2 more years . Less than 9kg and he loves it, did 20km+ cycles on it last summer. They have improved a few things on them since so they are even better now. Probably more expensive than what you bought but well worth it for three yrs use plus a decent trade in when you need to buy bigger. Another option is Islabikes but they are even dearer and they dont have any retailers here so you cant try them for size etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭qb123

Thanks. However, I feel I'm stuck with the choice in the bike shop I bought the bike in - doubt they'll give me a refund.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭circler

The Warrior is a bigger bike (24" wheels) than the Frog so the weight comparison is a bit off, but maybe the bike is too tall for your son and a 20" bike would be better anyway? Ridgeback do a few 24" models varying in the 11-12kg range, maybe your shop stocks them?

20" bike is probably ideal for him ok, but I'd like him to get a couple of years out of it so went for the 24" - size wise it doesn't seem to bad for him, weight is really the only issue. Probably fine for normal cycling on roads etc., especially given gears. However, he does enjoy cycling across fields and so on and this is where I feel the weight would be a particular drawback.

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭flatface

What other 20" / 24" do they do? Will they order in something for you?

• Advertisement

I'll have to ask at the shop as to what they'll do. Difficult for me to get there during the week and the birthday's this Saturday so will be expected to have it then.

Advertisement