Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Looking to move to Wicklow town + commute to Dublin

• 16-02-2014 9:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi,

My wife and I are expecting our first baby in the summer and after years of renting in Dublin we decided to buy a house. Wicklow town became a target and we checked out a few properties in the area south-east of St. Patrick's road.

Does anyone have any experience with that part of town? It looks nice and is close to the centre, not to mention the lovely views you can get around there.

Also, I would be commuting to Dublin city centre for work and the train seems very convenient now. I would also appreciate info about the viability of that if anyone is doing the same.

Feel free to PM me if you have info you wouldn't want to share publicly.

Thanks!

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭sawdoubters

your commute to Dublin will be bad

are you going to headind for the dart or bus what part Dublin

dart service from bray or greystones

it will be expensive

• Registered Users Posts: 5 ngetal

I'm thinking getting on the train at Wicklow station and getting off at Pearse station. I work a few minutes walk from there. Checked out the timetable for the Rosslare service and it seems to suit my work hours. Is it that bad? I'm not looking to use the bus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

Hurrah!... More Dubliners!!

St Patrick's road area is grand (depending on what estate specifically).

You will be close to the boys primary school & the area is well established.

Train is OK.... Taxsaver makes the costs reasonable enough.

Its a long stuffy journey standing up though...... You might get a seat, but chances are you won't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 615 ✭✭✭Boaty

Wicklow town is a great place to live, lots of amenities. Two primary schools in close proximity.
    Plenty of other things to.
    Bus commute is currently out of the question. If your getting the half 5 bus.
    Very slow driver which puts an extra half hour on your journey.
    Would driving be an option?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 615 ✭✭✭Boaty

You will be close to the boys primary school.

I would have said all of St Patricks road is good.
    The 'boys' primary school is now co-ed and so is the 'girls primary school.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭2013Lara

We have recently moved to the town and very happy so far! We're about 5 mins drive from Patrick's road. Daughter in a great playschool, no prob getting a school place for September. Kidzone on your doorstep. All the banks are here. Beach close by. We're from south dub so a bit of a change! The only criticism I have is the lack of a decent playground but they are meant to be building one soon plus there has been a fab New playground in Ashford although I'm not too sure if it's public. Some nice coffee shops and Mount Usher Gardens so close. So far, no regrets :) I work from home and the other half is in Stillorgan. I know of a couple down here who drive to the Luas and get the Luas to town. Hth

• Registered Users Posts: 5 ngetal

Thank you for the replies so far.

The place I'm currently looking at is on St. Laurence's park. Heard mixed opinions about it so far.
    Boaty wrote: »
    Would driving be an option?

Only up to the Dart or the Luas but I would much prefer taking the train all the way and just have a nap or read a book.
    Its a long stuffy journey standing up though...... You might get a seat, but chances are you won't.

Hmm are you saying this from experience? Talked to a colleague this morning who commutes from Greystones and he said he actually prefers taking the IC that comes from Rosslare & Wicklow as it's less crowded and offers a smoother ride than the Dart.
    2013Lara wrote: »
    The only criticism I have is the lack of a decent playground

There is a rather nice looking playground on St. Mantan's Park there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

I live near St Laurence's park.
    Your right about it being a mixed bag.

The area (like so many) is former local authority estates, which are pretty mature by now, but there a few head-the-balls around.

Haven't commuted by train for a while, if it has improved then great.
    However even if its crowded, its still better than the bus!

The bus service isn't bad, its just very slow & poor value.

Overall, if the price is right go for it.
    Wicklow has a lot going for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,716 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

ngetal wrote: »

Hmm are you saying this from experience? Talked to a colleague this morning who commutes from Greystones and he said he actually prefers taking the IC that comes from Rosslare & Wicklow as it's less crowded and offers a smoother ride than the Dart.

You'll definitely get a seat from Wicklow in the morning - I occasionally get the commuter train from Greystones and there's usually nobody standing when it pulls in.

Coming back from Pearse you may have to stand as far as Dun Laoghaire or Bray depending on which train you get.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Rua1

My husband would say the same about the train, never an issue in the morning getting a seat (he gets the 6.38am one), but sometimes he may need to stand for a little while to get a seat on the return service, which I think is the 4.40pm one, or thereabouts, from Pearse station. If you ever get stuck, or need to work late, there is the bus, or you can drive to the free car park in Greystones and get the train from there.

He has the tax saver ticket for the year too, and I think it works out at about 20-25 a week for his travel, which is very reasonable in my opinion, considering the cost of a one way ticket on that service!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 KellieT

Hi Lara2013,

I was hoping you might still be posting and would be open to offering a little more advice on your move to Wicklow Town. We too are from south Dublin and due to move into a new house on Marlton Road in December. We are a family of four little boy 4 and a little boy just about to turn 1. I am hopelessly looking at primary schools now would you have any advice on a good school in the area I am finding it really hard to find reviews? My son will have to start in south Dublin in September and then move in the new year so I am beside myself with worry about that but it just cant be helped we did try! Also any input on a good creche for baby?

Have you settled now in Wicklow do you think it was the right move for your young family? I would love to hear what you think? Did you find it easy enough to make new Friends? I love the idea of it so much and we have totally fallen for the house but I am still a little worried about the move which I am sure everyone is at some stage.

My husband just has a small commute up to Leopardstown but I will need to get into the city centre 3 days a week which I am hoping to get the train it can take me an hour to get in now a days so I am not too worried about that really, how is transport do you find it easy enough to get around? Any advice or input you have for me would be great!

Thanks so much
    Kellie

Advertisement