Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

{old} So fuel prices are beginning to fall now.....

• 29-06-2012 1:19am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭

but is this only a temporary thing and in the not so distant future they will rise again or whats the catch ?

A few months ago lots of us here predicted that by around Christmas a liter of petrol would be close to €2. Is this still likely do you's think ?

I don't know much about fuel and oil ect (so don't make fun :o) but it was announced by the Commission for Energy Regulations that gas prices are to go up in Autumn. Will this affect the petrol stations in anyway ?

And finally to keep positive If all goes well I predict that by Oct/Nov we could see a liter of petrol fall to around €1.40 and somewhere in the low €1.30's bracket for diesel. Fingers crossed.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭bpb101

petrol and diseal will never fall by much , because we just make up another tax for it.

its as you would expect its taxed in american , but in most states its less than $3 a gallon (us gallon i think is 4 liters )
    and one stage they thought it might hit $4 and they were outraged...

i know there import costs but a lot of it is tax.
    Angela will tell us to put another 5-9 cents on around Christmas so don't get use to it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

€2 by Christmas,? I seem to recall someone saying it would be €2 by June....

• Registered Users Posts: 15,187 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

If it hits 2 Euro by June we are screwed.

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭CrackisWhack

Its dropped from about $1.55 /L to $1.19 /L here in Australia in the last few weeks, so about 90 cent euros, what year was it sub 1 euro in Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Its dropped from about $1.55 /L to $1.19 /L here in Australia in the last few weeks, so about 90 cent euros, what year was it sub 1 euro in Ireland?

April 2005

http://www.aaireland.ie/aa/motoring-advice/~/media/Files/AA%20Ireland/Reports/Fuelprices%20history_June%202012.ashx

Sure when I was Indonesia it was 33 euro cents per liter, fuel price means nothing, the Government will rape you some other way anyway.

In australia I believe the cost of living is quite high compared to Ireland:
    http://www.aussiemove.com/costofliving/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

As more countries drop into recession, the price of oil will drop as there's less demand.

If the global economy ever picks up, the price of oil will shoot upwards. Then we'll see €2 a litre, but not with the Eurozone in negative growth.

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭piston

Long term, the price will only ever go one way - up. They may be variations from time to time if demand drops but it is a finite resource.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

It's way too early to go party. Just because it droped now, it does not mean it wil stay long like this.
    I can bet that soon it will all be sorted out and we will be able to bit*h about it going up!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

FWIW Diesel is €1.47 in my local, down from €1.57 a month or so ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,410 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

€145.9 in Clarina, Limerick..keep dropping :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

As more countries drop into recession, the price of oil will drop as there's less demand.

If the global economy ever picks up, the price of oil will shoot upwards. Then we'll see €2 a litre, but not with the Eurozone in negative growth.

Long live the recession.............oh wait! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Well we've proved to Enda and Michael we can deal with 1.58 without civil unrest so they'll probably just lash another ten cent on for the.craic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

Keep as far away from the petrol station in rivervalley swords shopping center as petrol today is still €1.71.9 crazy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Mister Jingles

zenno wrote: »
    Keep as far away from the petrol station in rivervalley swords shopping center as petrol today is still €1.71.9 crazy.

Dreamers thread they go :pac:

So if oil does fall in price over the next few months is it expected that the w@nkers in the Dail will just add on more tax to keep figures high ?

What is the current tax per liter today ?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

So how much Petrol in your local station? The one I always go ( Mallow on limerick - cork road ) is 1.57 for petrol. Still a bit highish..

• Registered Users Posts: 78,218 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I don't know much about fuel and oil ect (so don't make fun :o) but it was announced by the Commission for Energy Regulations that gas prices are to go up in Autumn. Will this affect the petrol stations in anyway ?

Natural gas prices are somewhat, but not completely independent of oil prices as there is a difference in their uses. The global demand for energy has driven up the demand for all forms of energy - electricity, gas, coal, even peat.

The CER announcement relates to how gas prices are set - the gas retailers (Bord Gáis, Electric Ireland, Calor, etc.) submit their pricings based on what they expect to pay for gas over the next year, adding for waste, transmission, distribution, other costs, capital expenditure, profit, etc. and a figure is agreed. If I'm correct, price setting by CER is generally on the way out.

So how much Petrol in your local station? The one I always go ( Mallow on limerick - cork road ) is 1.57 for petrol. Still a bit highish..

Last I looked it was 1.60 on the Navan Road and 1.56 down at the Broadstone :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,456 ✭✭✭kingshankly

1:40 for diesel in Dundalk in one garage plus there's another couple at 1:42

€155.9 in GreatGas Turner's Cross, I'm sure 'twas €154.9 in Pentagon Service Station earlier in the week though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

Well the Top petrol pump by the quays is down to 1.55 now.

Everywhere else it seems like the prices have gone down by atleast 5c/l...

• Advertisement

Well the Top petrol pump by the quays is down to 1.55 now.

Everywhere else it seems like the prices have gone down by atleast 5c/l...

The quickest fall in price im almost sure I've seen so far is Tesco in Finglas, 1.66 - 1.59 in the space of a few days. Still wouldn't go near them though.

Well the time has come, prices are rising again :mad:

Gone up 3c at my local.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

Well the time has come, prices are rising again :mad:

Gone up 3c at my local.

Noticed this in the past few days, didn't last too long

• Registered Users Posts: 33,372 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Barrel price fell rapidly in june down in low eightys now climbing since start of july back up to late 90's.

We didnt see anywhere near the savings in june that should have been the suppliers sucked in the fall for clear profit.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,147 ✭✭✭✭Berty

We were supposed to see a drop of 10-12 cent per litre. We got about 2-3 cent and yesterday fuel went back up 4 cent.

Joke :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭bpb101

Sorry
    www.rte.ie/news/2012/0818/motorists-warned-of-fuel-price-rise.html

Also to answer previsios complain
    Afaik Ireland buys the country's fuel 3 months ago

Eg, the fuel we bought today was bought 3 months ago

I think the question at this stage is will the government add more tax in the next budget ? :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

I think the question at this stage is will the government add more tax in the next budget ? :mad:
    Yes

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

hellboy99 wrote: »
    Yes

Well considering they have killed the goose that laid the golden egg, they might aswell suck the last drops of blood out now I suppose. I reckon if the Government was to drop back fuel taxes to around €1.40 / €1.50/l that they'd actually increase their income as people would actually buy more fuel and go for those sunday drives etc. that have almost disappeared now as fuel is almost rationed for the absolute essentials. It is the single most serious issue facing the domestic economy right now and it has choked consumer spending.

Cutting fuel tax will stimulate the economy and help to create jobs by diverting tax money into other areas of the economy. When you have to spend €120 to fill the car each week you sure is hell aint going to go for dinner or a weekend away. LPG gas needs to be vastly encouraged and when people see Unleaded €1.70, Diesel €1.66 and LPG €0.75 up there on the fuel pricing there will be stampede for conversions. I'm going to convert my own car to LPG soon and I actually now hope that Petrol skyrockets to €2/l so that LPG becomes more popular as sourcing it in rural areas is troublesome.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭books4sale

Stupid thread title....

Fuel prices are only going one direction, expect to be hitting the 2 euro sometime in 2013.

Start preparing now and don't end up being one of those whingers who claimed they didn't know.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2012/0818/motorists-warned-of-fuel-price-rise.html

Advertisement