Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

12/24v TV

• 07-05-2012 8:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭

Hi,

We recently made the leap and both a MH and enjoying every minute of it. It came with a terrestrial attenna already fitted so it's ready for Saorview.

3 questions:

Where's best to get a TV that will work off the leisure battery as well as the mains? Assume a normal 19" from Power City or equivalent will only work off mains?

If bought from UK will Freeview TVs pick up Saorview?

How difficult is it to wire up so it works off both battery and mains?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭dickwod1

yrrag1974 wrote: »
    If bought from UK will Freeview TVs pick up Saorview?
    No freeview tv's dont pick up Saorview - different system here (mpeg4)

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭HereAndThere

Hi

Try and pick up a saorview tv with a transformer, similar to a laptop transformer.

Then you can connect to 220V when hooked up and also run the tv of a 12V terminal.

You may want to protect the TV with a voltage regulator (maintains constant voltage even if battery is charging etc) these can be picked up cheap on ebay.

Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭m8

Hi

Try and pick up a saorview tv with a transformer, similar to a laptop transformer.

Then you can connect to 220V when hooked up and also run the tv of a 12V terminal.

You may want to protect the TV with a voltage regulator (maintains constant voltage even if battery is charging etc) these can be picked up cheap on ebay.

Hope this helps.

Any chance to a link to one of these?
    Should they be used for all 12v appliances?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭stevire

dickwod1 wrote: »
    No freeview tv's dont pick up Saorview - different system here (mpeg4)

Wasn't aware of that, any of the cheapy tv's (tesco/argos) have freeview + saorview?

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭HereAndThere

Here's one in maplin's for 99 pence - http://www.maplin.co.uk/lm723c-variable-voltage-regulator-2347

But you have to be careful that it can supply enough current for the tv in question ? Plus most regulator circuits will have a filter capacitor close to the chip/IC to improve the transient response. Think the ones we used to build in college were using 7812 chips (3 Pin), these had simply an input voltage (battery), reference voltage (ground), and output voltage was 12V constant.

If you aren't comfortable with a soldiring iron and know a little bit about electronics then I'd buy a complete regulator unit.

Here's one specifically for TVs in boats, motorhomes etc.

http://www.reuk.co.uk/Amperor-12-Volt-LCD-TFT-Stabiliser.htm

And one on ebay

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Voltage-regulator-Input-10-30-volt-DC-output-12-volt-DC-/150754827136?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_BoatEquipment_Accessories_SM&hash=item2319b01b80#ht_513wt_1185

Hope this helps?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭killalanerr

i was poking around Curry's today and i noticed they have a lg tv for sale,its seems to be run of a transformer didnt check if its 12v but they usually are with a bit of diy tweaking you could have a 12v tv

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭yrrag1974

Thanks for all the help.

Got sorted with Donagheys Motorhomes - 16" Walker Unit, Saorview compatible that runs off both.

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭killalanerr

Thanks for all the help.

Got sorted with Donagheys Motorhomes - 16" Walker Unit, Saorview compatible that runs off both.

Cheers
    what does one of them cost ?

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭RO 06

Thanks for all the help.

Cheers
    what does one of them cost ?
    €189 in powercity with dvd. Check the transformer as some are 19v like laptops

Anyone know if this is 12v as well, can't see it mentioned but has same model number as one elsewhere on the net that does say 12v and is more expensive.

• Advertisement

Purchased one of these in PowerCity online.

It clearly says "12v and 220v operation" so I was expecting connections for both ie: a 12v connector but there was none.

Anyone else get one of these?

The only connector is a 220v plug that gives the TV 12v through a 4 pin connector but nothing to connect to a 12v supply, I expected a 12v lead with it.:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Into Everything

m8 wrote: »
    Purchased one of these in PowerCity online.

It clearly says "12v and 220v operation" so I was expecting connections for both ie: a 12v connector but there was none.

Anyone else get one of these?

The only connector is a 220v plug that gives the TV 12v through a 4 pin connector but nothing to connect to a 12v supply, I expected a 12v lead with it.:confused:

I have the 19 inch version and it is a great tv. There was no 12v lead with mine either but recently bought a 12v lead from http://www.power-plus.tv/power_plus_power_supplies.htm, It is the CLA 19 lead. There is no voltage stabliser on it but find it works well.

I have the 19 inch version and it is a great tv. There was no 12v lead with mine either but recently bought a 12v lead from http://www.power-plus.tv/power_plus_power_supplies.htm, It is the CLA 19 lead. There is no voltage stabliser on it but find it works well.

Thanks, they are a little expensive tho? €17-€18 for something that should be with a tv that was advertised as 12v :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭*Kol*

m8 wrote: »

Thanks, they are a little expensive tho? €17-€18 for something that should be with a tv that was advertised as 12v :confused:

99% of them will be sold to people who will use them in a house so I guess that's why the 12v lead doesn't come with it.

You could always cut the 12v lead and put an in line connector and make up a lead with the cigarette lighter plug on one end and the inline connector on the other. That would allow you to plug in a lighter when you need to and swap back to the transformer when you have 220v. For the sake of €17 it's hardly worth the trouble though.

*Kol* wrote: »
    99% of them will be sold to people who will use them in a house so I guess that's why the 12v lead doesn't come with it.

You could always cut the 12v lead and put an in line connector and make up a lead with the cigarette lighter plug on one end and the inline connector on the other. That would allow you to plug in a lighter when you need to and swap back to the transformer when you have 220v. For the sake of €17 it's hardly worth the trouble though.

Yes thats a good idea, the only issue with the €17 lead is voltage regulation as I don't think it has any. Might kill the TV at some stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭defike

If you don't go to start the van while the television is on you might get away with it.

defike wrote: »
    If you don't go to start the van while the television is on you might get away with it.

Possibly but if I forget once I could be in trouble :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭*Kol*

defike wrote: »

I usually have it hooked up to the leisure battery and have no problems with starting the van. I usually have the TV on whilst the van is moving for DVD watching. The charge voltage going to the leisure battery is not as high as goes to the engine battery. You could put a simple inline voltage regulator onto the lead they are fairly cheap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭paddyp

Switch mode power supplies usually have a very wide range of input voltages at which their tested a 12v supply would probably be tested from 8V to 16V minimum, good manufacturer might go from 6v to 48v in test. Low voltage is much more stressful on the switching components as the current and the duty cycle of the transistors increases and hence heat dissipation also. That being said theres an awful lot of abominable chinese crap out there that may not even be tested at all before leaving the factory.

I worked on artesyn set top box supplies the dirt cheap 240V ones would be tested from 70V to 440V when I worked at philips we had supplies that went from 8V to 420V ac or dc - nice stuff.

Advertisement