Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Are You Reading?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

Trying to get back to reading properly and gather a bit of pace! I'm on to Ship of Destiny by Hobb. I don't know why I avoided these for so long. I'm only glad I did because now I'm reading them for the first time, though I've read on this forum that it goes pear shaped with her later stuff.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,987 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Shryke wrote: »
    though I've read on this forum that it goes pear shaped with her later stuff.
    Haven't read the new duology, but a lot of people really disliked her 'Soldier Son' trilogy. I thought it was her weakest series but I still generally liked it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

The Path of Daggers.

Still determined to read up to book 11 before the 17th!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭fenris

Just finishing Stoneweilder, going to give Pushing Ice by Alastair Reynolds a go next

• Closed Accounts Posts: 401 ✭✭steel_spine

Trying to get back to reading properly and gather a bit of pace! I'm on to Ship of Destiny by Hobb. I don't know why I avoided these for so long. I'm only glad I did because now I'm reading them for the first time, though I've read on this forum that it goes pear shaped with her later stuff.

The assassin trilogy I forget the name of, the tawny man and the liveship traders trilogies I all devoured - for the most part I thought they were great, and events that occur in one trilogy may be referenced in another, characters mentioned in passing in one have major parts in another book etc. It all creates an excellently consistent and solid world. The latest unfinished trilogy is the rain wilds trilogy and it's definitely the weakest, there are some interesting snippets but I dunno. Maybe it's because most of the characters are kids/teens. :(
    The soldier son trilogy I should give a fair crack again, I found it a bit jarring reading it because I wanted to read more books set in the universe she'd already established, and it's not.

Myself, I've just discovered China Mieville and I love him. Read Kraken & Perdido St Station in quick succession, and I've just picked up The city & the city and the 1st book in R.R. Martin's Song of Ice & Fire since a mate recommended that series.

• Advertisement

Was in H&F today and couldn't resist picking up Stonewielder! So that's added to the pile of my books to be read. Maybe on the long flight I can get it done!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

Reading The Dreaming Void by Peter F. Hamilton, Like the Sci-Fi with a fantasy substory aspect - enjoying it a lot. I'm glad I waited and can now read the trilogy back to back.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭matrim

Currently reading The Last Stormlord by Glenda Larke.

I like the premise and the writing is good, but the story hasn't hooked me yet and I'm about 1/4 of the way through it. I still think it can pick up but hope it does so soon

Steel Spine, if you like Mieville you owe yourself to read The Scar also!
    I didn't realise the Soldier Son trilogy wasn't in the same world. I've two trilogies down, I might stop after The Tawny Man series for a bit then, but I'll definitely give it a go.
    I finished Ship of Destiny and I was very impressed. I was more impressed at the end of the Farseer series but I think her chacacter building improved, and she did some quality world expanding.
    Reading The Truth by Pratchett for the sake of it being short and the fact I couldn't choose what I really want to read next. Liking it too. :)

Reading "Schild's Ladder" by Greg Bear. My head hurts and I feel thick - I'm having real trouble following the quantum physics in this. Then again, from reading some reviews, so do most people.... Some very interesting ideas also in there about the future evolution of mind, body, sexuality, and gender.

• Advertisement

Steel Spine, if you like Mieville you owe yourself to read The Scar also!
    I didn't realise the Soldier Son trilogy wasn't in the same world. I've two trilogies down, I might stop after The Tawny Man series for a bit then, but I'll definitely give it a go.
    I finished Ship of Destiny and I was very impressed. I was more impressed at the end of the Farseer series but I think her chacacter building improved, and she did some quality world expanding.
    Reading The Truth by Pratchett for the sake of it being short and the fact I couldn't choose what I really want to read next. Liking it too. :)

The more I think about it, the more I think I can't be arsed reading Soldier son again. I might finish the trilogy, but meh. Funny you should say that, I wandered into the 2nd hand book shop yesterday and sitting there was The Scar. That'll be coming to Berlin with me on Thur so :D. I'm quite excited since apparently it has some weird marine creature stuff in it which I love (was the whole reason gf bought me Kraken in the first place).
    Can you recommend any of the other 'New Weird' authors? I'm really loving this whole cyberpunk/fantasy without the Tolkien tropes thing they have going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

OK...so I'm not quite reading it yet, but somehow I completely managed to miss the release of Against All Things Ending - book 3 of The Last Chronicles of Thomas Covenant.

It was posted yesterday, so hopefully I'll get it in the post in the next day or so and can start into it.

I'll postpone reading books 3 and 4 of Shadowmarch (Tad WIlliams) until I'm done w. Mr. Donaldson's tome, I think.

bonkey wrote: »
    OK...so I'm not quite reading it yet, but somehow I completely managed to miss the release of Against All Things Ending - book 3 of The Last Chronicles of Thomas Covenant.
    What did you think of the prior novel? I thought it was poor and pretentious in its use of vocabulary. Didn't enjoy much of it at all and it's put me off getting the third any time soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

TBH, I've always found Donaldson a "tough" read, in that (generally speaking) I haven't been blown away by my first read of any of his books....but somehow find them compelling to read again (and again) and enjoy them far more on the second or third reading.

If I had time, I'd re-read the first two books before book 3, but seeing as bonkey bonkeyson was born 2 days ago, I think doing that could take a bit more time then I want. If nothing else, it'll set me up nicely for a summertime re-read of all 3 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭RodVelvet

Have the last two Raymond E Feist to get through at the moment but because everyone is going on about it I just started 'Patrick Rothfuss - The Name of the Wind' last night and I must admit i'm enjoying it so far!

It didn't help that I had started the last two Feist novels in the wrong order so they are going to be left till i'm finished Rothfuss.

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭margarite

eVeNtInE wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.
    If you get a chance can you please text me from the back sleeve where usually give an idea about what the book is about, I m trying to read more and would love to change the types of books I m reading, thank you.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,402 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

I'm currently re-reading some Feist before I tackle some of the many sequels that I haven't read yet.
    ixoy wrote: »
    What did you think of the prior novel? I thought it was poor and pretentious in its use of vocabulary. Didn't enjoy much of it at all and it's put me off getting the third any time soon.
    bonkey wrote: »
    TBH, I've always found Donaldson a "tough" read, in that (generally speaking) I haven't been blown away by my first read of any of his books....but somehow find them compelling to read again (and again) and enjoy them far more on the second or third reading.

If I had time, I'd re-read the first two books before book 3, but seeing as bonkey bonkeyson was born 2 days ago, I think doing that could take a bit more time then I want. If nothing else, it'll set me up nicely for a summertime re-read of all 3 :)

I wasn't mad keen on any of Donaldson. I read the first 2 Chronicles, was always waiting for something 'good' to happen but it was pretty much depressing all of the time. I know his hero is a rapist and all, but cmon, let's have something positive happen, somewhere... memories may be slightly inaccurate but that's what I remember most about them.

margarite wrote: »
    If you get a chance can you please text me from the back sleeve where usually give an idea about what the book is about, I m trying to read more and would love to change the types of books I m reading, thank you.:)

If you google the book title you'll find a lot of information, including a link to Amazon and other retailers, all of which usually list the teaser text. Here it is for Earthsea:
    Ged was the greatest sorcerer in all Earthsea, but once he was called Sparrowhawk, a reckless youth, hungry for power and knowledge, who tampered with long-held secrets and loosed a terrible shadow upon the world. This is the tale of his testing, how he mastered the mighty words of power, tamed an ancient dragon, and crossed death's threshold to restore the balance.

Finished The PAth of Daggers and am now on to Winter's Heart.

Currently reading "Mister B. Goode" by Clive Barker. It's short but enjoyable enough, although the habit of the protagonist addressing the reader is a little overdone.

The Algebraist by Banks. Only one or two more Culture novels left to read for me.
    The Truth by Pratchett was good. The ending went on quite a bit, especially for a Discworld novel. You could say the idea was almost bigger than the book itself but Pratchett did a good job of tieing things together.

• Advertisement

I've been reading books now based on decreasing page size count, so I'm now onto Neal Asher's "Prador Moon". Usual enjoyable fare so far.

Shryke - you were spot-on about The Scar, I'm about 1/2-2/3 way through and it's fantastic, my favourite so far I think.

I'm reading children of dune. I'm enjoying it more than dune messiah but not nearly as much as the original.

Shryke - you were spot-on about The Scar, I'm about 1/2-2/3 way through and it's fantastic, my favourite so far I think.
    Lucky you - it's a fantastic book. Best of the New Crouzobon series, which is saying a lot. Looking forward already to "Embassyworld" (his next book).

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭groovie

Trojan wrote: »
    The Name of the Wind - Rothfuss.

Best fantasy I've read in years. Highly, strongly, vehemently recommended.

I must write thanking you for this suggestion. I am about 200 pages through and its simply incredible. The Tarbean Years in particular really moved me :(

Thanks again.

Crossroads of Twilight.

I hate this book.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,402 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

I recently read Piers Anthony Bio of a Space Tyrant series after looking for books 3-5 for years (still aint read 6 but guessing that aint crucial as it's more of an epilogue). A good read, I'd give it a 7/10, books 1&2 gave me high hopes for the rest and they just about met them.

Reading Krondor: The Betrayal and not impressed. Very linear, easy to see it was based on a game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 SpaceApe

Just finished The city and the city by China Mieville, definitely worth reading.
    Next up Philip K Dick, forget which book though

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

Can anyone recommend some good high fantasy or sword and sorcery? Alternatively, can anyone recommend something near the Bartimaeus Trilogy. Always liked Strouds light tone.

• Advertisement

Teferi wrote: »
    Can anyone recommend some good high fantasy or sword and sorcery? Alternatively, can anyone recommend something near the Bartimaeus Trilogy. Always liked Strouds light tone.

Malazan Book of the Fallen. Starts with Gardens of the Moon. It's a while since I read them. They're a little difficult to get into and the first one is a bit of a mess. You'll have no clue what is going on for 90% of it, but they get very good.

Advertisement