Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

'48' Mobile operator - Prepaid offer - 3000mins & 5000 texts €10per month

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Despite their appalling customer service, the deal is excellent. I haven't experienced any problems regarding coverage, sending texts, etc. as of yet, and I'll be sticking with them for as long as possible. The only sort of problem that I have experienced is that my voicemail isn't working, I "asked an agent" today to see if they will help, but my expectations are low! Whenever I've "asked an agent" before I got a smart answer and them just telling me to search through the FAQ's.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭techsavysista

I actually thought customer service was great? I had three people deal with my issue and sort it out in under an hour, they're great!

I've done a post about it for anyone curious anyway! Hope it helps!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭Oracle

If it were a real job advert it would be discriminatory in nature.

Yeah although the entire 48 Months network is discriminatory in nature, and legally questionable. Offering consumer services, with an age restriction, is probably contrary to the Equal Status Act and EU Equality legislation.

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭tomslick

Oracle wrote: »
    Yeah although the entire 48 Months network is discriminatory in nature, and legally questionable. Offering consumer services, with an age restriction, is probably contrary to the Equal Status Act and EU Equality legislation.

If you actually read their info they are offering you membership of a club not a phone package. Members of the "club" get this package as part (well really all) of their membership.

It is not Illegal to restrict membership of a club by age.

Remember you are joining a club by paying a monthly membership fee.

tomslick wrote: »
    If you actually read their info they are offering you membership of a club not a phone package. Members of the "club" get this package as part (well really all) of their membership.

It is not Illegal to restrict membership of a club by age.

Remember you are joining a club by paying a monthly membership fee.

I don't think 48 Months would qualify as a "club" under the Act. Even if it did its age restriction is till contrary to the Act, because 48 Months principal purpose is not the provision of services based on age, for example a youth club. Rather its principal purpose is providing a mobile phone service, something that has nothing to do with age.

There's a guide to the Equal Status Act here: http://www.equality.ie/Files/Guide-to-the-Equal-Status-Acts-2000-2008.pdf

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭tomslick

I would think section 2.4 (v) (c) Promotion of Special Interests would get 48 out of jail in this case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

I have signed up many people to 48 who are well over their age range. 48 don't seem to care.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

I don't think 48 Months would qualify as a "club" under the Act. Even if it did its age restriction is till contrary to the Act, because 48 Months principal purpose is not the provision of services based on age, for example a youth club. Rather its principal purpose is providing a mobile phone service, something that has nothing to do with age.

There's a guide to the Equal Status Act here: http://www.equality.ie/Files/Guide-to-the-Equal-Status-Acts-2000-2008.pdf

On the contrary it looks to me like it would comfortably qualify and it's age restriction fits well with the Act. It's principle activity is in fact, and is evidently so from their advertising and web site, the supply of their service based on age.

Piliger wrote: »
    On the contrary it looks to me like it would comfortably qualify and it's age restriction fits well with the Act. It's principle activity is in fact, and is evidently so from their advertising and web site, the supply of their service based on age.

If that was the case then every provider of any service to the public could discriminate, and use their advertising and marketing as justification. 48 Months are supplying a service to the public. They cannot legally discriminate of the basis of age in providing that service. Its as simple as that:
    Disposal of goods and provision of services.

5.—(1) A person shall not discriminate in disposing of goods to the public generally or a section of the public or in providing a service, whether the disposal or provision is for consideration or otherwise and whether the service provided can be availed of only by a section of the public.

Also any advertising which indicates their intention to discriminate on the grounds of age, also contravenes the Act.

I'm disappointed some have tried to defend 48 Months' age discrimination. If they were discriminating on any other grounds, such as race or gender, I don't think anybody would be defending them. It just shows how age discrimination is still seen as acceptable. Instead of trying to justify their discrimination, there's a much simpler solution open to 48 Months. They could remove their age restriction and provide the service to everyone regardless of age.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭kilsmum

THFC wrote: »
    Despite their appalling customer service, the deal is excellent. I haven't experienced any problems regarding coverage, sending texts, etc. as of yet, and I'll be sticking with them for as long as possible. The only sort of problem that I have experienced is that my voicemail isn't working, I "asked an agent" today to see if they will help, but my expectations are low! Whenever I've "asked an agent" before I got a smart answer and them just telling me to search through the FAQ's.

My friend has the same problem with the voicemail his phone rings out and doesn't go to voicemail. He emailed CC today and got a smart reply linking him to the FAQs even though he had already told them he had gone through all the correct steps to set it up - where the price is great there is a lot to be said for being able to talk to someone if you have a problem

Kilsmum

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 4,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭nava

I see 48months offer cashback on Fatcheese,
    €8.00 Cashback when you buy a membership (activated SIM)

€1.00 Cashback for ordering a a free SIM
    Please note: We cannot accept any transaction queries for the free SIM offer.

I know some people complain about fatcheese but I never had any problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,904 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

If that was the case then every provider of any service to the public could discriminate, and use their advertising and marketing as justification. 48 Months are supplying a service to the public. They cannot legally discriminate of the basis of age in providing that service. Its as simple as that:

They are not providing a service to the public. They are providing a service to club members only. And the legislation says they can.

I can confirm there is no issue porting o2 numbers over even where o2 know your real age.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭looder

I can confirm there is no issue porting o2 numbers over even where o2 know your real age.
    Surely Data Protection would block O2 from giving another company that information anyway?

(Not a go at you or anything, a lot of people have asked the same question)

They are the same company (Telefonica), which is why the issue was raised in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭clonadlad

Has anyone tried this through fatcheese? Surely they can't be offering €8 cashback for each membership...

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭clonadlad

It appears to be tracking now on a sim already registered, second time paying membership. So it could work out at €2 a month now!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

Thinking of signing up to this, just to save myself scrawling the last 64 pages, can someone tell me is it possible to stay on the network after you hit 23? Are they clamping down on the age rule?

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭mickey1985

No clamping down yet anyway. Id say just make sure to remember your new date of birth. Id imagine after the 4years are up(if they are still there then) they'l want you to switch to o2

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

TheTechGuy wrote: »
    Thinking of signing up to this, just to save myself scrawling the last 64 pages, can someone tell me is it possible to stay on the network after you hit 23? Are they clamping down on the age rule?
    mickey1985 wrote: »
    No clamping down yet anyway. Id say just make sure to remember your new date of birth. Id imagine after the 4years are up(if they are still there then) they'l want you to switch to o2

Just remember. Lies make baby Jesus cry :P

When the 4 years are up surely there'll be nothing to stop us re-registering once we use a different email address?

THFC wrote: »
    When the 4 years are up surely there'll be nothing to stop us re-registering once we use a different email address?
    If 48 is still around at that stage.

There was a similar yoof network called Blyk in UK, when people turned 25 they weren't thrown off the network, but if they left they couldn't re-join: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blyk

If 48 is still around at that stage.
    And if it is?

• Advertisement

Who knows what the state of play will be then?

I would think you would have to port the number off 48 for a few days and then port back in under your new persona in order to continue receiving the benefits of 48.

Advertisement