Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Best food for a westie

Options
  • 08-08-2011 11:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭

Hi
    I have a 5 month old westie and I have been feeding her hills which seems alright however after reading some threads here I am a bit worried about it. I don't want to be changing her food that much because of westies tendency to get allergies.
    Could anyone offer some advice?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

If the Hills is suiting your dog then i wouldnt go changing it. All foods suit dogs differently so if your dog is doing well on Hills then i would stick to it for the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

Something hypoallergenic and gentle would be best for a young Westie. Both Burns and James Wellbeloved come to mind as they are very good for dogs with allergies and will not irritate skin. Another food that has come to light recently is Best For My Dog - made in Ireland, deliver nation wide and has quite a small ingredients list, which is always good!

Burns and James Wellbeloved can be purchased at some vets, pet stores and online (www.zooplus.ie stock both). Best For My Dog can be purchased at selected vets/retailers and online (www.bestformydog.com). IMO, all of the above foods would be better than the food you are feeding at the moment (and cheaper - Hills is way over priced for it's quality).

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭ene

Is Arden grange any good? I hear that is hypo allergenic is well? I feed her that brand of treats.
    How would I go about changing her food?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Actually, prob best to ignore my post:o Lorebringers is much better :)

I have never heard o that brand...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 6,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

From any research I have done, the best diet recommended for Westies is lamb and rice based. At 5 months old, she's old enough to go to an adult food. If you are feeding Arden Grange treats you could try her on their lamb & rice kibble.

When you are changing food the general rule is change gradually over a week. If the change of food looks like its having a bad effect on the dog then slow this down (eg. if she gets a runny tummy etc.). If there is more than a few % drop in the protein content change over a few weeks to a month as a sudden drop in protein can make your dog imagine she's very hungry. Arden Grange lamb and rice is 25% protein which would be ideal for a pup that has most of her growing done, but a little left to go. I'd change to something lower again after a year old though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

ene wrote: »
    Is Arden grange any good? I hear that is hypo allergenic is well? I feed her that brand of treats.
    How would I go about changing her food?

Arden Grange is a good quality brand, it would be fine to feed your dog.

With regards to changing over - personally, I would switch to an adult food around 6 months old so switching now would be grand for your dog. When switching, do so gradually - increasing the new food and decreasing the old food day by day until you feeding your dog the new food only. This will help prevent any dodgy belly situations and get your dog used to the new food over a slow period of time.

Do you think Arden grange is the best for her then or do you have any other suggestions?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 6,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

ene wrote: »
    Do you think Arden grange is the best for her then or do you have any other suggestions?

Any of the foods mentioned here would suit, Luath is another. Hills has very high protein, all the others are low, so I actually think Arden Grange is your best choice here as it's in the middle, even as a stepping stone if you might change again in a few months. As long as it agrees with her is the main thing. I've been changing my Westies food every 4 months as she seems to go seeking out wild animal poo, horse poo and grass to eat when she has been on the same food for a while. This is a sign that certain nutrients might be lacking so I change brands when she starts doing this. Seems to be working out great so far.

Advertisement