Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

EB Driving Test

• 15-08-2007 6:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

I have this test coming up in a couple of weeks? I havn't a clue whats happening.
    Is it the same procedure as the B Licence test. and what about the turn about

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,949 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

That is quite a rare test Captain Kirk. I don't think I know anyone who has done it. Most people with a full EB either got it when they were given automatically with a B licence or got EB and EC1 after passing the EC test.

Please let us know how you got on and what is involved. I presume a short reverse around a bend with the trailer is inevitable.

(PS - it must be difficult to get an accompanied driver with a full EB licence! :eek: :D)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭J_R

Hi,
    That is quite a rare test
    True:

My one and only :-
    Jeep and trailer

And even then I only prepared her for the B driving test. Few months after passing she did the EB test without any further tuition.

My only input for the EB test was to find out the procedure, Which is, test is the same as a B test, except not required to do a Turnabout

J_R wrote:
    My only input for the EB test was to find out the procedure, Which is, test is the same as a B test, except not required to do a Turnabout
    Just wondering J_R ,if they require the candidate to uncouple the trailer and, in the case of a heavy trailer like a horsebox, do they check if it is braked?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭J_R

Just wondering J_R ,if they require the candidate to uncouple the trailer and, in the case of a heavy trailer like a horsebox, do they check if it is braked?

As far as I remember brakes were not mentioned. However the box was braked. He did check all the lights.

She was not asked to couple/uncouple, but this would have been due to the fact they had no safe area to perform this exercise. Now they have their own compound, would be different.

New Rule Book

IF YOU ARE BEING TESTED
    - YOU MUST KNOW HOW TO

Using a trailer
    * Demonstrate technical checks
    * Connect and remove the trailer to or from your vehicle.
    * Reverse up to a loading bay.

She was only the 2nd EB test examiner had ever done.

Edit: Just checked with the girl. Brakes were not mentioned.

But when he checked the brake lights suppose he assumed was fitted with brakes ??

J_R wrote:
    As far as I remember brakes were not mentioned. However the box was braked. He did check all the lights.

She was not asked to couple/uncouple, but this would have been due to the fact they had no safe area to perform this exercise. Now they have their own compound, would be different.

New Rule Book

IF YOU ARE BEING TESTED
    - YOU MUST KNOW HOW TO

Using a trailer

She was only the 2nd EB test examiner had ever done.

Edit: Just checked with the girl. Brakes were not mentioned.

But when he checked the brake lights suppose he assumed was fitted with brakes ??
    Thanks for that John.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭otwb

Hi there,

Have applied for this test and would like to know if anyone else has feedback....

Have a full licence since 1999, but am now driving an automatic jeep. If I do the test in this am I restricted to towing with an automatic even though I have a full cat B licence?

Also, has anyone got the name of an instructor in the naas/dublin region that knows what they are talking about re the EB test for a couple of pre-test lessons?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Alt90

Hi otwb,

EB test is the same as a B test, except that there is no turnabout and you will be given the choice of doing either a left or a right hand reverse manoeuvre.

Currently it is not required to uncouple and recouple the trailer for the test.

If you do the EB test in an automatic vehicle your EB licence will be restricted to towing using only an automatic.

Naas School of Motoring have a manual jeep and flatbed trailer that you can hire to do the EB test in, if you cannot get hold of a manual towing vehicle yourself.

If the towing vehicle is 2004 or newer, new EU regs apply and more conditions apply. (Height and width of trailer).

Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭otwb

Brilliant stuff. Will get on to Naas.. Would rather get the test done once and for all instead of having to redo it all when I change my car!

Many thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 grayman

Hi guys,

Anyone know if you need to wait the 6 months before applying for your eb test? I got my learner permit last week and wanted to do the test ASAP. I have my full b licence for 11 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

grayman wrote: »
    Hi guys,

Anyone know if you need to wait the 6 months before applying for your eb test? I got my learner permit last week and wanted to do the test ASAP. I have my full b licence for 11 years.

No 6 month wait. There was originally but the RSA done away with it.

• Advertisement

Faith+1 wrote: »
    grayman wrote: »
    Hi guys,

No 6 month wait. There was originally but the RSA done away with it.

I was thinking that alright although it has the code 991 on the learner permit which means must wait 6 months before applying for test. Sure I'll just ring the RSA today. Cheers for the reply Faith+1.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

I applied for this today. I have had a full B license (tested in a manual car).

I have to do a theory test before I can apply for the EB learners permit. Once I have the learners permit I can apply for the test immediatly.

I have just had it confirmed by the RSA that if I do the EB test in an automatic car then the EB section of my license will be resticted to towing with an automatic only (despite having a B license for a manual).

The details for an EB test/license procedures do not appear to be on the RSA website, and without the mention about an automatic by an earlier poster I would have just arrived to the test in an automatic car.

Does anyone have a link to a pdf or download of the 5th edition of the theory test handbook, as well as a link to any official site outlining what both the theory and practical tests actually entail?

EDIT: I found this link on another thread: http://www.quizglobal.com/ViewQuizByID.aspx?QuizID=161

Also found a free mobile app by searching for "Irish Driving Theory Test". Not sure how up to date or accurate it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭ashlingm

Alt90 wrote: »

If the towing vehicle is 2004 or newer, new EU regs apply and more conditions apply. (Height and width of trailer).

Hope this helps.

Can you explain this better? Or link me to somewhere that explains it...I cant find anything about it :confused:

Fey! wrote: »
    I applied for this today. I have had a full B license (tested in a manual car).

I have to do a theory test before I can apply for the EB learners permit. Once I have the learners permit I can apply for the test immediatly.

I have just had it confirmed by the RSA that if I do the EB test in an automatic car then the EB section of my license will be resticted to towing with an automatic only (despite having a B license for a manual).

The details for an EB test/license procedures do not appear to be on the RSA website, and without the mention about an automatic by an earlier poster I would have just arrived to the test in an automatic car.

Does anyone have a link to a pdf or download of the 5th edition of the theory test handbook, as well as a link to any official site outlining what both the theory and practical tests actually entail?

EDIT: I found this link on another thread: http://www.quizglobal.com/ViewQuizByID.aspx?QuizID=161

Also found a free mobile app by searching for "Irish Driving Theory Test". Not sure how up to date or accurate it is.

You don't have to do another theory test for an EB learner permit. The original theory test you did for the car covers B,EB,W.
    Just fill out the form, 2 photos and show them your full B licence.

Faith+1 wrote: »
    You don't have to do another theory test for an EB learner permit. The original theory test you did for the car covers B,EB,W.
    Just fill out the form, 2 photos and show them your full B licence.
    I'm open to correction but if he/she had the full B licence prior to the introduction of the theory test, perhaps they would be required to do it to add a trailer category.

I'm open to correction but if he/she had the full B licence prior to the introduction of the theory test, perhaps they would be required to do it to add a trailer category.

Yes but that's if!:)

Wishbone Ash is correct; I passed my test back in 1994 when there was no theory test.

Passed the theory test last week, so I've just applied for my test.

My learners permit has restrictions:
    "991" (Holders of Learner Permits in categories A1, A, M, W, B and EB must wait for at least 6 months before taking the driving test)
    "999" (Must be accompanied by a qualified driver)

Accoring to the local authority (Galway County Council) and the RSA, restriction "991" does not apply to an EB test.

I did my EB test this (frosty) morning.

First problem was a lack of L plates; got them in a shop beside the test centre.

Missed one of the road signs. 232085.gif

Said that this one was lane splitting instead of pass either side. 232086.gif

So that was 2 grade 1s.

Then we hit the road. The reverse around a corner was dire and a mess; I had to reposition several times. He told me after that I needed to be more gentle while doing it.

However, he hit me hard on mirrors, while observation was totally clear. He claimed that I didn't use my mirrors, giving me 2 grade 1s for moving off, 2 grade 2s for changing lanes, 1 grade 2 at roundabouts, 2 grade 2s for turning left, and 1 grade 1 for slowing/stopping. I had to ask him if this meant that I had to turn my head more for him to see me checking my mirrors, as I'm constantly checking my mirrors and was paranoid about them during the test.

On vehicle controls he hit me with a grade 1 for the footbrake, and 2 grade 2s for the handbrake. He said that I was too harsh with the handbrake. ???

I also got a grade 2 for position at roundabouts. This was the main roundabout I had, entering and exiting according to the arrows, changing lane after the roundabout to get into the driving lane.
    232095.jpg
    He told me that I should have exited into the left lane instead of the right. To me, that is changing lanes in the middle of the roundabout (which would have resulted in my hitting the van which had moved into a position on my left heading for the same exit). The way he said it hinted that I should also have entered the roundabout in the left lane for the 4th exit. However, he wouldn't explain his comments. Again, he claimed that I didn't watch my left mirror on the roundabout, which I know he was wrong about (which was how I saw the van coming up on my left).

Not surprised at the failure due to the deserved grade 3 in the reverse competently, but very annoyed at the mirror stuff. Will have to check out about the roundabout lanes.

As an aside, it your vehicle is older than 2004 you can use a flat trailer, but after 2004 it must be a box trailer. I think that pre 2004 must be 4x4, though (how do they tell a 4x4 Rav4 from a 2wd Rav4?).

EDIT; he also said that due to the frost the test may be cancelled; aren't we supposed to be tested to drive in all conditions?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,871 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

I did my EB test this (frosty) morning.

First problem was a lack of L plates; got them in a shop beside the test centre.

Missed one of the road signs. 232085.gif

Said that this one was lane splitting instead of pass either side. 232086.gif

So that was 2 grade 1s.

Then we hit the road. The reverse around a corner was dire and a mess; I had to reposition several times. He told me after that I needed to be more gentle while doing it.

However, he hit me hard on mirrors, while observation was totally clear. He claimed that I didn't use my mirrors, giving me 2 grade 1s for moving off, 2 grade 2s for changing lanes, 1 grade 2 at roundabouts, 2 grade 2s for turning left, and 1 grade 1 for slowing/stopping. I had to ask him if this meant that I had to turn my head more for him to see me checking my mirrors, as I'm constantly checking my mirrors and was paranoid about them during the test.

On vehicle controls he hit me with a grade 1 for the footbrake, and 2 grade 2s for the handbrake. He said that I was too harsh with the handbrake. ???

I also got a grade 2 for position at roundabouts. This was the main roundabout I had, entering and exiting according to the arrows, changing lane after the roundabout to get into the driving lane.
    232095.jpg
    He told me that I should have exited into the left lane instead of the right. To me, that is changing lanes in the middle of the roundabout (which would have resulted in my hitting the van which had moved into a position on my left heading for the same exit). The way he said it hinted that I should also have entered the roundabout in the left lane for the 4th exit. However, he wouldn't explain his comments. Again, he claimed that I didn't watch my left mirror on the roundabout, which I know he was wrong about (which was how I saw the van coming up on my left).

Not surprised at the failure due to the deserved grade 3 in the reverse competently, but very annoyed at the mirror stuff. Will have to check out about the roundabout lanes.

As an aside, it your vehicle is older than 2004 you can use a flat trailer, but after 2004 it must be a box trailer. I think that pre 2004 must be 4x4, though (how do they tell a 4x4 Rav4 from a 2wd Rav4?).

EDIT; he also said that due to the frost the test may be cancelled; aren't we supposed to be tested to drive in all conditions?

On the mirrors whenever I was doing a test I always made sure I had to turn my head to check them, even though in normal driving I just look with my eyes, as if they can't see your head move they assume you aren't looking.

Are there 2 exit lanes on the roundabout, it's not clear from your pic? If so you should have been OK the way you went. He must have though you where doing the CE test if he wanted you in the left lane entering it. As for the van inside you, you could have slowed down and let it pass. I wasn't on the test so can't really say if you or the tester where correct.

A lot of it comes down to luck on the test, you appear to have been unlucky with the van on the roundabout. Best of luck next time

• Advertisement

It is a 2 exit roundabout. Taking the right lane I had plenty of clearance from the van; it would only have been a problem if I had gone to cut lanes.

As for the mirrors, sound advice on the making sure to move your head rather than just using your everyday driving eye movement.

Another 3 weeks before I can get tested again.

I done mine a few weeks ago and just about passed..

He hit me hard on my mirrors and told me a driver of my experience should pay more attention..

Been pulling trailers for years and never a problem but at least I have it now..

Retook the test today and (thankfully) passed.

I had the same tester, but had taken a couple of lessons with Eoin in Advance Drive beforehand, including one immediatly before the test to calm the nerves (during which the ABS light came on and the speedometer failed, leading to some "percussive" maintainence on the side of the road!!!).

I had 5 marks against me this time:

Grade 2: MIRRORS: Turning right
    Grade 2: MIRRORS: Slowing/Stopping
    Grade 2: SIGNALS: Hand Signals (indicating to a Garda on point duty that you wish to proceed straight)
    Grade 2: VEHICLE CONTROLS: Handbrake (stopped on a slight incline for the handbrake test, but didn't set the handbrake. Had to stop and try again!!!)

Grade 1: REVERSE: Competently

Now to try and get the EB added tomorrow in the local motor tax office...

Well worth taking the few lessons.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,871 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Retook the test today and (thankfully) passed.

I had the same tester, but had taken a couple of lessons with Eoin in Advance Drive beforehand, including one immediatly before the test to calm the nerves (during which the ABS light came on and the speedometer failed, leading to some "percussive" maintainence on the side of the road!!!).

I had 5 marks against me this time:

Grade 2: MIRRORS: Turning right
    Grade 2: MIRRORS: Slowing/Stopping
    Grade 2: SIGNALS: Hand Signals (indicating to a Garda on point duty that you wish to proceed straight)
    Grade 2: VEHICLE CONTROLS: Handbrake (stopped on a slight incline for the handbrake test, but didn't set the handbrake. Had to stop and try again!!!)

Grade 1: REVERSE: Competently

Now to try and get the EB added tomorrow in the local motor tax office...

Well worth taking the few lessons.

Congratulations and you get the handy little licence which is an added bonus.

Unfortuately the handy little eb license is now weight restrictedm which is why I was trying to get the older license!

From now on the trailer has to be carring weight for the test (equivalent of 30 blocks). While that sounds bad, apparently a heavier trailer is easier to control.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭Silvera

Unfortuately the handy little eb license is now weight restrictedm which is why I was trying to get the older license!

From now on the trailer has to be carring weight for the test (equivalent of 30 blocks). While that sounds bad, apparently a heavier trailer is easier to control.

Any person who passes the EB test after 19-1-13 is restricted to a trailer of 3500kg gvw. However, in reality this is the largest trailer that 99% of jeeps can (legally) tow, so the "loss" of the old-licence 'EB - no weight restriction' is no great loss to most drivers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Merch

Im thinking of taking a few lessons, Im in Dublin, I have to start calling around to see who will do a trailer lesson. I saw a mention of Naasschoolofmotoring but cant see anything on their website. I haven't had any luck inquiring on boards as to what driving school does trailer lessons in Dublin

Are you saying, that now the trailer has to have a load equal to 30 blocks on it during the test?

That seems to be the case....all trailer tests must include a weight on the trailer during the actual test. (Though I thought that this was not coming into force until June 2013? A read of www.rsa.ie would clarify)

Schools which do EB lessons -

Leinster School of Motoring
    http://leinsterschoolofmotoring.ie/jeep-and-trailer-or-horsebox-driving-lessons/

Irish School of Motoring
    http://www.ism.ie/driving-lessons/car/jeep-and-trailer

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭psicic

I've been meaning to do this test for a while, but keep on putting it off.
    Thanks Silvera for posting names of people giving EB lessons.

Just generally, do all test centres do the EB test? I can imagine some of the routes in Rathgar being a little trailer unfriendly.

• Advertisement

psicic wrote: »
    I've been meaning to do this test for a while, but keep on putting it off.
    Thanks Silvera for posting names of people giving EB lessons.

Just generally, do all test centres do the EB test? I can imagine some of the routes in Rathgar being a little trailer unfriendly.

No problem. I'm not sure if only certain centres do the EB test.
    I will be doing EC lessons/test this year and I only found out before Xmas that I can only do the test in Dublin or Waterford (i.e. in the Leinster area) instead of my 'usual test centre'.. Naas.

Advertisement