Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Pool table in a shed... ?

Options
  • 12-02-2015 11:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭

Hi all, so I am looking to buy a 7ft slate bed pool table for my shed. The shed is completely waterproof and spacious so I don't think condensation would be a massive factor - certainly at the moment there is no signs of mould or anything else. But it doesn't have any insulation or heating.

I have been pricing online and the 7ft is coming in around 700 delivered and fitted but am I throwing my money away by storing it outside? I live in the sunny south east btw (not that that makes a difference in Ireland :D)

Does anyone have any experience with storing a pool table outside of the main house? Would the cold likely damage the slate? There's mixed messages online so if someone had first hand experience, that would be great!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭melon_collie

The cold will not damage the slate but the biggest problem you will have will be with dampness. This will not be as big of a problem during the summer months will be for the rest of the rear.

If you are considering going ahead with this you have 3options as I see it:

1. Extend your central heating out to the garage and use in damp periods
    2. Alternatively you could buy some underfloor heating mats (link below) and fix to the underside of the slate bed. This can then be controlled electrically using a clock timer switch. This is a common enough arrangement on snooker tables.
    3. Purchase some green house heaters and place inside the table if possible. Again this is a common enough arrangement on snooker tables

It is important to note also that you should cover the table at all times when not in use. This will help keep dust off but also retain the heat that is produced from beneath the slate bed.

If you need any more advice send me a PM.

http://www.ebay.ie/sch/i.html?_odkw=snooker+table+heaters&LH_PrefLoc=3&_from=R40|R40|R40|R40|R40&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313&_nkw=tile+heating+mat&_sacat=0

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭stevestevenson

The cold will not damage the slate but the biggest problem you will have will be with dampness. This will not be as big of a problem during the summer months will be for the rest of the rear.

If you are considering going ahead with this you have 3options as I see it:

1. Extend your central heating out to the garage and use in damp periods
    2. Alternatively you could buy some underfloor heating mats (link below) and fix to the underside of the slate bed. This can then be controlled electrically using a clock timer switch. This is a common enough arrangement on snooker tables.
    3. Purchase some green house heaters and place inside the table if possible. Again this is a common enough arrangement on snooker tables

It is important to note also that you should cover the table at all times when not in use. This will help keep dust off but also retain the heat that is produced from beneath the slate bed.

If you need any more advice send me a PM.

http://www.ebay.ie/sch/i.html?_odkw=snooker+table+heaters&LH_PrefLoc=3&_from=R40|R40|R40|R40|R40&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313&_nkw=tile+heating+mat&_sacat=0

- sorry for butting in but I'm looking to put a table in my conservatory. It's airtight but it's not heated - do you reckon it'd be a problem? I'd have thought that once it's not damp it'd be ok?

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭melon_collie

No you should be alright. The conservatory will retain the heat fairly well. I'm assuming youll have a little heat on in there anyway in the winter?

Advertisement