Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Rules of the Road: Trickier Questions?

Options
  • 03-12-2013 2:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭

Have already sat my test about 2 years ago and failed.. was close, but, yep, failed anyway.

Just getting ready for another test and starting back to basics. The Rules of the Road is an easy part of the test and I just want to get 100% on this part to make best first impression I can with tester.

So what would be the trickier questions that come up on the Rules of Road? Of course you are expected to know everything, but am interested in hearing what people slip up on the most or have been caught out on before.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭pog it

I did mine a couple of months back.. two or three i think.. if even that.. not long ago, anyway.

I found the questions all fairly easy, to be honest, and my knowledge is lackluster at the best of times. Admittedly it varies from person to person, but I found the hardest part was understanding the question.

For example, I was asked "at night time, when would your dipped lights be on?".
    I answered "at all times"
    The tester paused and commented "my apologies, if you were driving on full beams, when would you switch to dipped?"
    I responded with a flustered "when you encounter oncoming traffic"

I got it right. I felt like I should have elaborated to say 'built up areas' and so on, so my opinion is the ould 'KISS' (Keep it simple, stupid).

I'm sure some testers are real bastards and might take a dislikening to you from the minute they see you. Such people exist everywhere, but I'd imagine the majority are everyday joe soaps doing a 9-5 job and aren't out to 'trick' you. My tester was a sound chap, and he was nice to me (even though his supervisor was with us, too).

Pretty sure I should have picked up a fault for right of way on my test, too, which he didn't mark me for (letting someone out of a petrol station). Just treat them with respect and if you get something wrong, laugh it off.

I was a bag of nerves on the morning of mine, but my instructor helped me to no end. He was brilliant and he's the reason I passed. So a good instructor goes a long way, too.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭I can't tell you why

This is a set I use.

Advertisement