Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What are you making at the moment?

• 04-11-2014 1:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭

Hi all

I love crafts of any kind, I'm currently learning to crochet but I have an interest in anything that is any way crafty!

I'm currently making a flower blanket for my Mum, I call it the Hippy Blanket :D

Not much to look at yet but it I am just making the flowers for now and will then continue to join them up...Only 120 to go lol...

So, any of you care to share any of your current projects?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭berrecka

I just got married and had a hugely DIY wedding, so I'm looking for something to fill that crafty hole!
    Lately, any good friend who gets married/has a baby has received a granny square blanket of some shape. For the last one (before my own wedding), I got loads of the other girls in our gang to learn how to do granny squares too. They gave them to me, I joined them all up, and we made a big wedding blanket for the happy couple. The next of the gang is getting married next summer (unless there are any surprises in the meantime) and I have suggested that we all learn to patchwork to make her a blanket (she has already made her own granny square blanket). I'm really excited to learn this new craft.

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭magicmushroom

berrecka wrote: »
    I just got married and had a hugely DIY wedding, so I'm looking for something to fill that crafty hole!
    Lately, any good friend who gets married/has a baby has received a granny square blanket of some shape. For the last one (before my own wedding), I got loads of the other girls in our gang to learn how to do granny squares too. They gave them to me, I joined them all up, and we made a big wedding blanket for the happy couple. The next of the gang is getting married next summer (unless there are any surprises in the meantime) and I have suggested that we all learn to patchwork to make her a blanket (she has already made her own granny square blanket). I'm really excited to learn this new craft.

A patchwork quilt is next on my list of things to learn - I done a sewing course last year and loved it, although couldn't afford a decent sewing machine so never really took it up properly!
    I've had this idea of making a patchwork 'memory' quilt and using squares of materials from things like one of my nanny's cardigans, a piece from the pillowcase I had as a child at her house, a piece from my wedding dress and veil, something of my Mum's, etc etc...and add to it over the years, any time I visit somewhere special or have a ife changing event I will find something in relation to it to sew on a square somewhere!

I'd love to see some of the DIY weddign stuff you made as my sister is getting married next year and is also doing a lot of DIY stuff

That's a gorgeous idea. Beware of different fabrics though, a cardigan (wool?) cut to the same size as tulle from a veil, and sturdier linen/cotton from pollowcases will all react and stretch differently. Id imagine backing it all, and having the wadding stuck (with bondaweb or the like) to the special fabrics might help though.

I have no idea how to upload pics, but suffice it to say that anything with a name or any writing (including the invites, table plans, seating cards etc) came from my embroidery machine, and most other decorations were things that I gathered and spray painted or glittered. I thought the overall effect really worked and I don't think it actually looked as DIYed as it was (maybe not a good thing, as people may not have realised that I made most of it).

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭makeandcreate

I spent the day using Autumn leaves to create clay leaves and some sort of abstract flower things - the whole lot will need a week to dry - then I'm going to fire it & mount into an IKEA box frame. One down in my handmade Christmas effort. Tomorrow I'm underglazing a snail :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Red Hare

This is a nice idea for a thread!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭magicmushroom

I spent the day using Autumn leaves to create clay leaves and some sort of abstract flower things - the whole lot will need a week to dry - then I'm going to fire it & mount into an IKEA box frame. One down in my handmade Christmas effort. Tomorrow I'm underglazing a snail :-)

Oh wow that sounds lovely! So it will be like a wooden frame with 3d leaves all around it?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

On the crochet hook, I have a tulle and cotton baby dress.
    On the 25mm needles I have a cardigan
    On the chunky machine I have a baby blanket
    On the sewing machine I have baby pants (just broke my jersey needle so will have to wait till I get a new one)
    On the mid gauge machine I have a tunic.

suvd4w.jpg
    29utylj.jpg
    24qibsm.jpg
    smewxy.jpg
    oqc5e1.jpg

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    On the crochet hook, I have a tulle and cotton baby dress.
    On the 25mm needles I have a cardigan
    On the chunky machine I have a baby blanket
    On the sewing machine I have baby pants (just broke my jersey needle so will have to wait till I get a new one)
    On the mid gauge machine I have a tunic.

suvd4w.jpg
    29utylj.jpg
    24qibsm.jpg
    smewxy.jpg
    oqc5e1.jpg

One of these days I'll tackle more than crochet granny squares and knitted teddys. Lovely work - wish I had the patience to achieve such talent.
    And I'm off to squish some more clay - everything is still half finished, it's such a long process for someone that likes immediate results. Pics after the weekend, I hope.

I failed ceramics! I was hopeless, the killen blew up everything!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭SingItOut

Last month all I worked on was my sally dress for Halloween, she's from the nightmare before Christmas. I made it from scratch, it took me nearly two weeks and many late nights! Delighted with it though.

My next project is wall plaques, I think it they'd make great Christmas gifts as I have far too many people to buy for this year!

• Advertisement

SingItOut wrote: »
    Last month all I worked on was my sally dress for Halloween, she's from the nightmare before Christmas. I made it from scratch, it took me nearly two weeks and many late nights! Delighted with it though.

My next project is wall plaques, I think it they'd make great Christmas gifts as I have far too many people to buy for this year!

What sort of wall plaques? A few years ago, my boyfriend and I stuck photos onto square tiles, backed them with felt and covered them with liquid resin (very messy business). They were supposed to be little coasters, but my parents loved the ones I made for them (6 - of each of their grandkids) that they are now pride of place hanging in their kitchen. Is it that kind of idea?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭SingItOut

That sounds like a great idea berrecka. Did you use ceramic tiles or something else?
    I'm thinking of using thin wooden slabs and making homely signs. Simple but personal for the person their for. I have most of the materials ,I just have to source my slabs.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,526 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I painted a picture a couple of years ago andy wife loved it.
    More fool me, I sold it on her :(
    She has mentioned it over the summer that she'd love me to paint another one but she knows I seldom repeat a picture.
    With Christmas on the way I was racking the noggin about what to get her and then it hit me, paint the picture for her and get it framed.
    Not her entire Chrimbo haul but I think she'll be pleased.
    Just started this morning, acrylic on canvas
    I'll put it up when its finished.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I painted a picture a couple of years ago andy wife loved it.
    More fool me, I sold it on her :(
    She has mentioned it over the summer that she'd love me to paint another one but she knows I seldom repeat a picture.
    With Christmas on the way I was racking the noggin about what to get her and then it hit me, paint the picture for her and get it framed.
    Not her entire Chrimbo haul but I think she'll be pleased.
    Just started this morning, acrylic on canvas
    I'll put it up when its finished.

Sounds lovely, I'm sure she'll be thrilled! Looking forward to seeing it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Vala

I'm making a miniature Christmas village. Recycling many objects and learning how to use different tools. I'm in my element :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 34 ShivaDark

Hey people, I'm new here. I've just started crocheting six months ago and I've been experimenting with amigurumi since the start of September. I was wondering if anyone else here makes Amigurumi (crocheted soft toys).

I'm currently finishing off a super cute unicorn for my guy. It's in Red, Purple and Gray DK. I'll post pictures once I finish sewing all the pieces together.

Vala wrote: »
    I'm making a miniature Christmas village. Recycling many objects and learning how to use different tools. I'm in my element :-)

Sounds amazing.

ShivaDark wrote: »
    Hey people, I'm new here. I've just started crocheting six months ago and I've been experimenting with amigurumi since the start of September. I was wondering if anyone else here makes Amigurumi (crocheted soft toys).

I'm currently finishing off a super cute unicorn for my guy. It's in Red, Purple and Gray DK. I'll post pictures once I finish sewing all the pieces together.

I've done a whale, penguin and a facehugger. Cant remember the others, they didnt last as long as the knitted ones, they are a bit flat from my 2 year old playing with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Nicole Kirwan

This is a great idea for a thread!
    Really nice to see everyone's ongoing projects.

I was at Portlaoise Xmas market yesterday and there was someone there with loads of lovely cute crochet animals - loved the mouse and the snake - thought I'd try them as my winter project after Xmas. My nan taught me how to crochet when I was 7 and thanks to her, I can only crochet with my left hand, despite being right handed. Never did much more than granny squares and a blanket though.

• Advertisement

I was at Portlaoise Xmas market yesterday and there was someone there with loads of lovely cute crochet animals - didn't know there was a name for it - loved the mouse and the snake - thought I'd try them as my winter project after Xmas. My nan taught me how to crochet when I was 7 and thanks to her, I can only crochet with my left hand, despite being right handed. Never did much more than granny squares and a blanket though.

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭shuffle65

Crochet/lace chokers. Unfortunately I can't attach images

Let's see if this works:
    http://www.pinterest.com/pin/319051954826312618

shuffle65 wrote: »
    Crochet/lace chokers. Unfortunately I can't attach images

Let's see if this works:
    http://www.pinterest.com/pin/319051954826312618

They are so pretty. Do you make them to sell? If so where can they be bought?

They are so pretty. Do you make them to sell? If so where can they be bought?

I'll pm you. ..

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    I've done a whale, penguin and a facehugger. Cant remember the others, they didnt last as long as the knitted ones, they are a bit flat from my 2 year old playing with them.
    Could you share the pattern for the facehugger? I've been looking for one for ages now.
    I was at Portlaoise Xmas market yesterday and there was someone there with loads of lovely cute crochet animals - didn't know there was a name for it - loved the mouse and the snake - thought I'd try them as my winter project after Xmas. My nan taught me how to crochet when I was 7 and thanks to her, I can only crochet with my left hand, despite being right handed. Never did much more than granny squares and a blanket though.
    My gran taught me to knit and crochet when I was around six. I forgot all about it until recently when I was bored and wanted to make something nice. Did you make the blanket out of the granny squares or was it just one piece?

shuffle65, your choker is really pretty. Did it take you long to make it?

I finished the adorable grizzled unicorn last week but I still can't post up a picture since I'm still new here. I'm currently working on a moose at the moment.

shuffle65, your choker is really pretty. Did it take you long to make it?
    Several hours... I just get lost in making pretty things, time doesn't come into it :)

I finished up the moose soon after my last post and crocheted some gifts for people I knew would appreciate them.

The last time I made anything for someone else was an abstract symmetrical grid drawing for mother's day only for her to cut it in half to fit a picture frame. The picture was destroyed but she didn't understand that.

I altered a crochet pattern for the Loch Ness monster for a Scottish friend and crocheted some baby guinea pigs for another Scottish acquaintance.
    Both ladies love the amigurumi I've made them so that's great.

I'm currently working on a large elephant at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 DforDisaster

A Christmas PomPom wreath! Its taken me 3 Decembers to make up all the pom poms - I finally gave in and bought a pom pom making apparatus which has allowed me to crank out the pompoms at a speedier rate! With an luck I might get it finished before we have to put away the decorations for this year!

I'm glad I'm not the only one, I started one last Christmas too... I only got the pieces knitted, no decorations, I'll be luck to have it for Christmas 15!.

• Advertisement

I'm finishing the Elephant, more than halfway through crocheting a Giraffe that symbolises space, a two toned (turquoise and grey) chevron scarf and a dishcloth using front post and back post crochet stitches.

Advertisement