Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Sewing machine recommendations

• 28-10-2014 10:33pm
    Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,905 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭

Hey guys! I'm planning on buying a new sewing machine, basically an upgrade on what I've got already, which is a Brother LS14 and I'm hoping ye could give me a bit of advice :)

I have an etsy shop where I sell cloth menstrual pads, so their production would be the main use for my sewing machine. I find that despite having a walking foot, my current sewing machine often struggles with the multiple layers of fabric, and certain fabric types, and it's definitely limiting the range of products I can produce.

What I'd like is a sewing machine that is heavier duty, and does some fancy stitches (particularly wavy stitch). I also need an auto locking stitch and I'd prefer auto thread cutter, an overlock stitch would be great too. I'm also hoping to do a bit of quilting on it, so an ability to sew thick projects is a must. Here's a few I've been looking at, I haven't actually gone to the shop and tried them out, but I'd like to have an idea of what would be a good machine before I go, that way I'll know which ones I'd like to have a go of.

If anyone has used any of these machines, what did you think of them? Do you have a machine that does a similar job and would you recommend it? Are there any machines I should definitely avoid?

Thanks guys!

The Janome QXL 605 looks nice.
    The Pfaff select range are said to be good for sewing thick layers, but is there a lot of maintenance involved in a mechanical machine (as opposed to computerised)?
    I also like the Pfaff Ambition but good god it's so expensive! Does anyone know where is the best value place to buy sewing machines? Or is it pretty much the same across the board?

I'll admit I'm incredibly nervous about shelling out a lot for a machine, but I'm hoping to expand my store into cloth nappies and hopefully be able to make a living out of it, so I reckon I'll need a decent machine. Really I'm very unsure about what machines to look for, and I'd like to have a reasonable idea before I actually go to a store. I don't want to pay tonnes for something that's way more than I actually need.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭cuilteanna

My machine would do all of that easily (except the overlock stitch isn't the quality of an actual overlocker) but even I have to admit the brand (Bernina) is very overpriced in comparison to others.

IMO, mechanical machines are easier to maintain, you can do a lot of it yourself, but they don't tend to have advanced features like auto cutters and auto lock stitch.

The Pfaff Ambition looks nice, I know the IDT is highly regarded and it has extra space which is VERY handy for quilting larger items which would put it slightly ahead of Janome for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I'd have a look at an overlocker with differential feed. Could be around €350 new, but as long as your sewing machine is in good nick, I cant really see what you'll gain from the other models mentioned.

Your original sewing machine should complete any quilting job you can think of too as long as you have your piecing foot / walking foot etc. Batting may be less thick than the pads.

Advertisement