Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Help getting back into pokemon...

• 01-08-2014 8:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭

Hi all!

I thought I'd ask this here as ye would all know a lot more than me about this.

I'm looking to play a new pokemon game from scratch but I don't know what to play as tbh the last few years with work, sport etc I've drifted away from gaming somewhat.

I know there's many Pokemon games after being released in the meantime. The games that my friends and I played "back in the day" were silver, gold, pinball and obviously blue red and yellow. I loved it when there was just the 251 pokemon but are there any other games available other than what I have mentioned that just have the upper limit of 251? I'm hoping to buy it to restart my obsession!! :P What do ye guys recommend and on what console/handheld??
    Treat me like a total newbie on this as my memory of the games may be a bit fuzzy...

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

You won't find any games these days limited to just the 251, anything released after gen 2 (the generation of Gold and Silver) will have more than that. However, there was a remake of Gold and Silver released a few years ago called Soul Silver and Heart Gold. For the most part, the pokémon you'll find during your adventure through Johto will be the same as the originals. The console for those is the DS, and really that's the best you can do for the 251.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,722 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

You can play the original 6 games here

<snip>

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

That's entering rom territory, so I'm afraid we can't allow that.

Fair enough, i thought since there was no downloads it was okay

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭beaner09

Of the DS games I wouldn't recommend Black/White as you won't know any of the Pokémon you see before the Elite Four!

Platinum was the one that I played and ended up getting back into playing Pokémon (It has about 70 Pokémon you'd recognise)!

HeartGold/SoulSilver would be good as you'd get your nostalgia boner but with better graphics!

Or if you have the money, get a 3DS and X/Y, so easy to trade for any of the old Pokémon you want (as well as them being in the game too)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭JamieK

Angron wrote: »
    You won't find any games these days limited to just the 251, anything released after gen 2 (the generation of Gold and Silver) will have more than that. However, there was a remake of Gold and Silver released a few years ago called Soul Silver and Heart Gold. For the most part, the pokémon you'll find during your adventure through Johto will be the same as the originals. The console for those is the DS, and really that's the best you can do for the 251.
    beaner09 wrote: »
    Of the DS games I wouldn't recommend Black/White as you won't know any of the Pokémon you see before the Elite Four!

Platinum was the one that I played and ended up getting back into playing Pokémon (It has about 70 Pokémon you'd recognise)!

HeartGold/SoulSilver would be good as you'd get your nostalgia boner but with better graphics!

Or if you have the money, get a 3DS and X/Y, so easy to trade for any of the old Pokémon you want (as well as them being in the game too)

This HG/SS would have how many pokemon in total then? Apologies for the basic questions but I was absolutely obsessed with the gen 2 pokemon so as I found the gameboy colour in my room the other day I thought I'd love to get back into it! :)

Would it be the same concept as the ones I know? Starter pokemon, catch as many as you can, beat gym leaders, beat piss poor Team Rocket members then Indigo Plateau? Is Johto and Kanto in these? Thanks a million by the way! :)

Is Platinum before or after HG/SS? And is it a stand alone game or does it have a sister game? Like Silver would be to Gold?

JamieK wrote: »
    This HG/SS would have how many pokemon in total then? Apologies for the basic questions but I was absolutely obsessed with the gen 2 pokemon so as I found the gameboy colour in my room the other day I thought I'd love to get back into it! :)

Would it be the same concept as the ones I know? Starter pokemon, catch as many as you can, beat gym leaders, beat piss poor Team Rocket members then Indigo Plateau? Is Johto and Kanto in these? Thanks a million by the way! :)

Is Platinum before or after HG/SS? And is it a stand alone game or does it have a sister game? Like Silver would be to Gold?

HG/SS are complete remakes of Gold and Silver, and are almost the exact same, just with updated graphics. They are the same generation as Platinum, Diamond and Pearl, and were released not long after these games. For most of the game in HG and SS, you will only encounter the original pokemon from these games, but towards the end of the game the newer pokemon will be available

Platinum is to Diamond/Pearl what Crystal was to Gold/Silver

Thanks a million for all the help! :)

:)So it has the same loose story and the likes as silver/gold? If I were to get Platinum would it feel like a new game? :) As much as I love the games I've played there's only so many times you can replay it!! In an ideal world I'd have the 251 on a new map!! :pac: How many pokemon are in Platinum? And again sorry for all the questions! Really appreciate this!

Everything SureYWouldntYa said is spot on!

Platinum has 210 Pokémon (In total), about 70 of which you'll be familiar with. It plays basically the same with a few different additions.

I played Yellow/Gold a lot before buying my DS and I had gotten bored of the story I had played so much, so Platinum was nice because it was different!

There are new gameplay mechanics that you would have to read up on (google natures/abilities of Pokémon, moves being split into Physical and Special) but you could get through it without knowing that!

(I haven't made enough posts to send links, which would of explained some of that better)

Thanks everyone I think I'll be getting Platinum so. I assume it wouldn't be on general sale in Gamestop or wherever and I'd have to get it online??

• Advertisement

Thanks everyone I think I'll be getting Platinum so. I assume it wouldn't be on general sale in Gamestop or wherever and I'd have to get it online??

Platinum isn't that old, it should on sale 2nd hand in Gamestop etc

• Registered Users Posts: 18,073 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

CeX would have Platinum, bit steep at €28 though, Black and White are €10 each in Argos, might not be as bad as you think diving straight into Black and White as by the time you finish them both Ruby and Sapphire will be just around the corner.

Just thought I'd let ye know that I didn't have the patience to trawl through shops for Platinum...so I went ahead and bought a 2DS and White. I could literally only play for 10 minutes and I can already see myself pouring hours into this. Thanks for the advice!

Good move (getting 2DS, as you'll also then be able to get X/Y and Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire in the future too if you want!

I didn't like White at first, but it grew on me as I played through it - so if you liked the start, you should love the rest of it!

Also they (Pokémon games) have to be the best value for money games going*, it worries me when I look at my play time in X! ha

*except for the fact that you have to buy the system when its probably all you play on it haha

Yea I enquired in Gamestop and I was told that too. I think I might play it blind...by that I mean not looking up things on the Internet and just learn things myself as I play it. Or would I be better off looking once in a while. Bear in mind I have not even heard of any of these pokemon! My team spearheaded by Tepig will conquer this world! :p

Go blind. Nothing like the surprise of a pokemon evolving at what seems a random level, or learning a move without you knowing it will

Im getting either a 3DS or a 2DS when OR/AS comes out, as well as XY, and i dont know a thing about the next gen, the opposite of what i done for Black, and I'm counting the days with excitement :D

Yea I enquired in Gamestop and I was told that too. I think I might play it blind...by that I mean not looking up things on the Internet and just learn things myself as I play it. Or would I be better off looking once in a while. Bear in mind I have not even heard of any of these pokemon! My team spearheaded by Tepig will conquer this world! :p

Personally whenever I finish a town or area, I look up that part of a walk-through to make sure I have all the hidden items etc. but that's just me. Also if I can't tell straight away what type a Pokémon is I may look that up too!

I went with Snivy in White, I'd never picked a grass type starter before so thought I'd try it out!

Yea I'll do that through a second play through I'd say! I'm enjoying it at the moment. Think it's easier than other games will that change?

Also...double battles?!

Yea I'll do that through a second play through I'd say! I'm enjoying it at the moment. Think it's easier than other games will that change?

Also...double battles?!

I think the difficulty thing is a result of us as adults playing a game that's target market is kids. If you think White is easy then wait until you play X/Y! (This is what's making me start to venture into online battles, where people take it really serious and it is then more difficult).

Yeah double battles were introduced in Gen 3 (I think it was), there are also triple battles and rotation Battles (you could read up on them if you want). Dark grass can also result in 2 wild pokémon appearing! [In addition to that, there are horde encounters in X/Y, which can see you face 5 wild pokémon]

Advertisement