Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Why are razor blades so bloody expensive ?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭brian ireland

Anyone where you can get a 'stepic pencil" Its deadly piece of kit. It you nick your face this thing (looks like a white lipstick) stops the bleed instantly, so you don't have to go to work with jax roll stuck to your face.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭aligator_am

I find the ones in Lidl / Aldi for €6 are grand, you get 20 blades and the razor itself :)

I know my dad has some of those open / straight razors at home, may try using one next week, just hope I don't do a sweeney todd on meself :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭andrew1977

dfbemt wrote: »
    If you know somebody up north (yes, that cheap place) try out Makro cash & carry outside Belfast. Pack of 4 packs of Fusion - £15, pack of 5 packs of Mach3 - £16.

No comparison with the proces down here.

Good ol' Rip Off Ireland

Is this place open to the general public to purchase items or do you have to be a business ?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

for awhile now I've been looking at safety razers, going on the back of this I finally made the dive and got myself one...its in the post....blades work out at less then 50c each :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭MediaTank

andrew1977 wrote: »
    Is this place open to the general public to purchase items or do you have to be a business ?

Business only :(

• Advertisement

Cabaal wrote: »
    for awhile now I've been looking at safety razers, going on the back of this I finally made the dive and got myself one...its in the post....blades work out at less then 50c each :)

Good man. Blades sound a little expensive though, what did you buy?

aloleary wrote: »
    Sounds like the job...

Any idea what the numbering system means or is it just model numbers

41, 39C etc..

Model numbers. They indicate whether the razor has a comb head (C) or not, and then whether it's slanted etc.

Anyone where you can get a 'stepic pencil" Its deadly piece of kit. It you nick your face this thing (looks like a white lipstick) stops the bleed instantly, so you don't have to go to work with jax roll stuck to your face.

You mean styptic pencil. Any of the online shaving sites supply them.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

MediaTank wrote: »
    Good man. Blades sound a little expensive though, what did you buy?

Well price I quoted may not have been 100% :)

Bought everything from http://www.shaving-shack.com/

I bought the Merkur Progress and a selection of blades

At current exchange rates (£6.99 = 7.81e) the blades actually work out at 26c per blade for that selection pack...much much cheaper then the 3.50e or so for a Fusion blade.
    :)
    You mean styptic pencil. Any of the online shaving sites supply them.

http://www.shaving-shack.com stock them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭ciscokidder

• Advertisement

In relation to using a safety razor people might find this helpful..learning to use one properly - http://www.youtube.com/shavetutor

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

I'm eyeing up a Merkur Futur 760 at the moment, matt finish.

I like the simplicity of the 760, not keen on the bulges\hexagonal\ridged handles of the other models.

Does anyone manufacture a very light safety de razor?

Any Merkur sold over the counter in Dublin?

Cost wise and for ease of ordering I'd say just ordering off the net, odds are even if you source one in Dublin it'll be more expensive then on-line in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

People think they have to pay huge money for blades - not sure why :confused:
    If they found a bit of cop-on within themselves I'm sure the manufacturers and retailers would fairly suddenly be left with no choice but to stop robbing people blind.....

- I love the Tesco twin blade disposables; you get a big 10 bag of them for €1.08

And because they are are so cheap you'll just immediately bin anything that isn't lethally sharp instead of doing the usual 1/4 shave with a blade just because you you can't remember if it is crap or not!!!

P.S Or are some patiently waiting for the first 12 blade system with vibrance control and follicle fallout agents !!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭ciscokidder

Their toothbrushes are similar - get a pack of 5 for a fraction of the price of the usual colgate ones. Once they off-peak just break out a new one.

Their toothbrushes are similar - get a pack of 5 for a fraction of the price of the usual colgate ones. Once they off-peak just break out a new one.

I use them. Not to take the thread off topic, but yes.. amusingly cheap, I think about 4 or 5 Tesco toothbrushes for a euro.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

Amalgam wrote: »

I like the simplicity of the 760, not keen on the bulges\hexagonal\ridged handles of the other models.

That's the one I have, it's fairly heavy but the weight benefits you when you get used to it as you don't need to use as much pressure as you would with other razors when shaving. Got it from www.4.men.ie , a site I use alot.
    I haven't seen any on the shelves anywhere though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭Ardscoil Ris

€10.50 for 5feckin blades ? What the hell! They're about £3 a pack in the UK.
    What makes them so special that they're abhorrently overpriced here ?

Cos Emo's keep buying them to cut themselves...

Jip wrote: »
    That's the one I have, it's fairly heavy but the weight benefits you when you get used to it as you don't need to use as much pressure as you would with other razors when shaving. Got it from www.4.men.ie , a site I use alot.
    I haven't seen any on the shelves anywhere though.

Jip, that URL needs tweaking. http://www.4men.ie

Cabaal wrote: »
    In relation to using a safety razor people might find this helpful..learning to use one properly - http://www.youtube.com/shavetutor

Agree, Mark is a legend. Check out his video series on Method Shaving :eek:

• Advertisement

Does anyone manufacture a very light safety de razor?

Any Merkur sold over the counter in Dublin?

I wouldn't recommend a Futur as the safety razor to start with, try the Progress instead. The Futur is difficult to adjust, the snap on blade holder takes getting used to and because the finish is smooth is difficult to hold safely.

For Merkur in Ireland try irishbarber.com, don't know of any bricks and mortor shops though.

Surprised at how stubby the shaft on the Progress is. (or maybe he has big hands..)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4FZvMmuX_GE

• Closed Accounts Posts: 711 ✭✭✭who007

I'm liking the look of this: http://www.executive-shaving.co.uk/shaving/gift-sets/open-razor-gift-set.php
    I would never have thought of getting one of these until I read this thread but I have been pissed off spending money on blades for ages and the economy seems to make sense. Plus it would be pretty cool to be able to learn how to use one of these.

One question for anyone who might be in the know - I shave my head, so could I use a cut-throat for that? Or a safety razor?

who007 wrote: »
    One question for anyone who might be in the know - I shave my head, so could I use a cut-throat for that? Or a safety razor?

Not a cut throat, but yes with a safety razor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 711 ✭✭✭who007

Not a cut throat, but yes with a safety razor.

OK thanks - so one of those Merkur ones would do? I am out of blades at the moment so may invest in a Merkur today...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

Gilette price to market meaning they keep pushing up the prices until they find that it's no longer worth their while doing so - the drop off in sales exceeds the increased profit margin. The result here has been much higher prices for blades. The same applies to Duracell by the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

jester77 wrote: »
    Why not get a decent razor like a Merkur and pickup some Feather blades, you can get 50 blades for under £10 here and they will give you a better shave than any Gilette or Wilkinson blade will ever give you.
    Thats where i get mine too. A merkur slant bar and feather blades - will cut through heavy stubble so easily without any drag.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭fenris

Knight's Barber upstairs in St Stephens Green stock some Merkur stuff - I got my Hefty there. A Porasso "Starter Kit" is worth getting, it has a shaving brush, pre-shave and shaving cream.

Another option is some of the Trumper solid soaps already in a bowl - they last forever!

who007 wrote: »
    OK thanks - so one of those Merkur ones would do? I am out of blades at the moment so may invest in a Merkur today...

Yes, I have a couple of friends who shave their heads with them.

MT

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

Jip, that URL needs tweaking. http://www.4men.ie

Cheers, don't know where that extra fullstop came from.

Agree with the fact that the Futur is hard to adjust, especially when wet but once you find the right setting you never need to adjust it anyway. Ironically the very first cut I got from this was to a finger when foolishly adjusting it with a wet hand !
    And again when changing blades, it's not really a problem as you wouldnt be doing it on a regular basis and I usally do it again when dry and covering it with a towel.

For the people looking to shave their heads, check this out
    http://www.4men.ie/index.php?sid=4847f8bb087ea26d174403f8faa09c3f&cl=details&anid=MY10&listtype=search&searchcnid=be34356d662538a32.82424460

Advertisement