Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Knitting - help and advice super thread!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭veggie newbie

Thanks so much for the replies, very helpful and great tips! So excited to get going now. Tnx again.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 norman5601

Hi all can anyone please tell me if there are any knitting machine classes in the Leinster area.

norman5601 wrote: »
    Hi all can anyone please tell me if there are any knitting machine classes in the Leinster area.

I don't know myself but was in a great shop the other day who may be able to advise you. 'Love to knit' in Bray were v helpful when I was in and I had a LOT of questions! I think they run classes in the shop, a crochet class was on when I was in. They should be able to advise you re a machine class. Hth.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I dont think so, the nearest I've heard of is Louth! What machine do you have? I have a zippy 90 (LK100) and a SK280 and a knitmaster 321.

Whereabouts in Louth? It wouldn't be too far from me. I have a Brother KH800. I'm very new to this but following the instructions exactly ends up in a knot. It worked the first time but now, I can cast on but the next row starts snagging and skipping needles then the carriage jams and I'm back to square one! All I want to knit at this stage is a plain lap blanket for an elderly friend before the really cold weather sets in.

• Advertisement

Thanks a mil. I'll phone the shop in Bray

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭duckling10

... I have a Brother KH800. I'm very new to this but following the instructions exactly ends up in a knot. ....

have you the manual for the machine, and read it, carefully following instructions for the cast-on combs, and putting on weights, etc?

when was the machine last serviced and the sponge bar replaced?

have you tried looking at videos on youtube, just search in youtube for brother kh800 and see what comes up, if one video doesn't help you you could try another, people do learn machine-knitting from youtube, or at least aspects of it.
    This might just tide you over will you get to some lessons, or it might even see you through.
    Final suggestion: sign up for Ravelry, it's free and find their Groups and search for Machine Knitting group and join it! you can read their hints and suggestions about all sorts of machines, and search for brother kh800 if you want to just see what they say about it.
    good luck,

Whereabouts in Louth? It wouldn't be too far from me. I have a Brother KH800. I'm very new to this but following the instructions exactly ends up in a knot. It worked the first time but now, I can cast on but the next row starts snagging and skipping needles then the carriage jams and I'm back to square one! All I want to knit at this stage is a plain lap blanket for an elderly friend before the really cold weather sets in.

Check your sponge bar and get more weights.

You could have a dodgy needle as you would be using every needle for the blanket.

Google a cast on comb, if you have one, double the amount of weight you are using on it.

Is your yarn on a cone?

Send me a pic by pm, if you like. It could be the settings on the carriage too.

• Moderators Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

Hello everyone - looking for a bit of advice on my latest project (linky here)

This is for my Irish-American nephew who is living in a massive sports fan house between the NFL, Baseball and the GAA. As this is baseball jacket, I'd love to put on buttons that have a baseball design on them, but the pattern calls for snap fasteners and buttons to be sewn over them. Any ideas where I could pick these up?
    I'd love to be able to physically inspect them for sizing etc.

Any help appreciated.

You need 10mm snaps available at shaws or any sewing store.

-Wholesale-DHL-FreeShipping-Diy-Handmade-Accessories-KAM-Plastic-Snap-Button-Snaps-Colorless-10mm-4000sets-Buttons.jpg

Its a safety feature for baby clothing, the button is visible but only as a detail, the snap keeps everything closes.

If possible sew them on with darning thread, also available from a sew store.

EDIT OP, I just re read that, were you looking for baseball buttons? If so minervacrafts or the cork button factory, you may have to request but both companies can source most styles for you .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭kandr10

Just a quick question. Could you put snaps on when a pattern calls for regular buttons by just leaving the button holes out of the pattern?

Yep! Much easier. If its adults I use 20mm snaps.

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    Yep! Much easier. If its adults I use 20mm snaps.

Cheers! Ok now for the stupid question - how do u cover them..?

You dont need to cover them.

You mark where you want your closure and you sew in the snaps to the left and right side.

Then you just sew the button on the side over the snaps.

DSC_9082.jpg

• Moderators Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    You dont need to cover them.

You mark where you want your closure and you sew in the snaps to the left and right side.

Then you just sew the button on the side over the snaps.

You make it look so easy!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,012 ✭✭✭✭looksee

That's very pretty knitting wmpd, and the snaps look great. It is quite important to have some support braid under the snaps, or at least, if you are using the big plastic ones, to make sure you get at least two threads of the knitting on each snap hole, or it will just pull your knitting apart.

Thats not my knitting, its from the internet!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,012 ✭✭✭✭looksee

:D Lol, full marks for honesty!

Cowl Q... The pattern says knit on circular needles & join stitches in 1st row. I was thinking of knitting on regular needles & just sewing it together in the end. Has anyone ever tried this? I don't think it would look v different or am I missing something?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

You can do that. The only difference would be a seam where you sew it up. I've done that and all I do is make sure the seam isn't visible.

But I've also knitted in the round, and I have to say it looks and drapes a lot better, because of the lack of a seam. Just make sure the needles are kept straight, and when you get to the join, pull the stitches VERY tight or else you'll end up with a great big ladder!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭Gatica

yep, haven't made a cowl but I think the less seams the better...
    knitting in the round isn't too bad, it's just trying to make sure the row is straight the first couple of rounds and to get a tight knit going where the join is. After that place a marker at your first stitch.
    It's a little fiddly but worth it.

Cowl Q... The pattern says knit on circular needles & join stitches in 1st row. I was thinking of knitting on regular needles & just sewing it together in the end. Has anyone ever tried this? I don't think it would look v different or am I missing something?

Mattress stitch is your friend, I have knit for years and always hated circulars, I always made hats on straights and sewed them up, it works fine but circulars are much faster.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,379 ✭✭✭Trampas

Hi,

Anyone recommend a place in Dublin centre to buy needles, book etc (What do you need or recommend to have)

The other half as she's just started to knit so like to get her a few things to keep her going.

Thanks in advance

Trampas wrote: »
    Hi,

Anyone recommend a place in Dublin centre to buy needles, book etc (What do you need or recommend to have)

The other half as she's just started to knit so like to get her a few things to keep her going.

Thanks in advance

Hickeys on Henry st do books, needles, wool and they're very helpful. The trimmings shop on capel st is good also. It's on the same side as aib but nearer to the bridge. Sorry I can't remember the name!

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭mmg0305

Also This Is Knit in Powerscourt Townhouse and The Constant Knitter in Francis Street

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭TreasureBin

I second This is Knit! Very helpful there.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,379 ✭✭✭Trampas

This is knit were great today. Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 37 helqui

Hi, Im new to boards and knitting so I hope im on the right forum. :-D Im knitting a sweater in fishermans rib and have a problem. when knitting the sleeves the pattern says to increase
    1 st at each end of every 12th row. When I do this the rib does not flow. It looks like a line is going through the sleeve! What am I doing wrong? Can anyone help?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

helqui wrote: »
    Hi, Im new to boards and knitting so I hope im on the right forum. :-D Im knitting a sweater in fishermans rib and have a problem. when knitting the sleeves the pattern says to increase
    1 st at each end of every 12th row. When I do this the rib does not flow. It looks like a line is going through the sleeve! What am I doing wrong? Can anyone help?

Hey! When increasing you should increase in pattern. Have you increased at both ends? Post up the pattern, and we'll take a look...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭Gatica

Also do you mean a line that's horizontal or vertical?
    How are the increases done, i.e. does the pattern specify it? (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Increase_%28knitting%29) Usually at the end of a row a new loop is thrown onto the needle so that you start the next row with that extra stitch. The new row should be started following the pattern, e.g. the rib that you're doing...

Advertisement