Hurler of the Year 2012 - Page 8 - boards.ie
Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
View Poll Results: 2012 Hurler of the year
Tommy Walsh 11 11.34%
Henry Shefflin 4 4.12%
Michael Fennelly 6 6.19%
Pauric Maher 10 10.31%
Joe Canning 41 42.27%
Eoin Larkin 15 15.46%
Conor O Mahony 0 0%
Eoin Kelly (Tipp) 2 2.06%
John Gardiner 0 0%
Liam Rushe 3 3.09%
Conor Mcgrath 0 0%
Conor Lehane 5 5.15%
Voters: 97. You may not vote on this poll

23-08-2012, 12:01   #106
Mountainlad

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJoeSoap View Post
He did indeed. Some very scant consolation for Waterford in recent years.
14 years ago ain't so recent

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJoeSoap View Post
I was in Australia for the 2007 championship, and after the epic games vs Cork, a win against Limerick felt like a formality to a certain extent. I'm not saying that is how the county felt at all, but it just felt like it was meant to be. Fair play to Limerick, the semi-final was a blitz, but the following years win against Tipp more than made up for it. If only the finals were decided on the flip of a coin...
I remember seeing a Limerick man and his son at the dart station and thinking 'why did they bother coming?'. Can't believe how complacent/arrogant that was in hindsight but I guess a lot of us probably thought we had the hard part done in beating Cork. I don't think complacency was the team's issue, they just hadn't much in the tank, and to be fair Limerick were so up for the game and played above themselves.

Was Aidan Fogarty played much in 2006? I seem to have this notion that he hadn't really played up to the final? It's all based on who you are though as well. Fogarty plays one game all year, and it's an all-ireland, no all-star. Shefflin does, definited all-star. I wouldn't question most of his all-stars mind, just maybe the one in 2003. But I definitely think there has been a few cases of the high profile getting you the nod of the hat.
Advertisement
23-08-2012, 12:08   #107
MfMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombo2001 View Post
Would Galway people feel Joe has been their best/ most influential player so far this year? I'd question that one myself. he's been good no doubt, but what has made the difference for Galway is how the players around him have stood up to the mark and I think that should be recognised. I'd not question he's been in their top three players, and possibly has been their best. But I'd say for example David Burke has had a great season too.
Best and most influential yes. He was the architect of the wins over KK and Cork (and helped win the replay over Dublin in the relegation also.) Apart from scoring, he makes a lot of the play and lifts others around him also. David Burke has had a fine season also, including the league run, while Cyril Donnellan has been having a fine championship until injury-interruption. Refreshing from a Galway POV has been that practically all the players have stood up and been counted for. (Mind you , I thought the same after the COrk match in Limerick also). Long may this continue.
23-08-2012, 12:14   #108
BQQ

Not voting till you add an option for JJ Delaney
23-08-2012, 13:47   #109
OAOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Local_Chap View Post
Didn't Taggy Fogarty of Kilkenny get Man of the Match in the All-Ireland in 2006 against Cork,but didn't even get an All-Star
My own recollection was that he played very poorly all year(pretty sure it was his first year) and was substituted in every game. People couldn't understand why Cody stuck with him but he was unreal in the All-Ireland. Deserved MotM but not an All-Star
23-08-2012, 14:00   #110
Local_Chap

Quote:
Originally Posted by OAOB View Post
My own recollection was that he played very poorly all year(pretty sure it was his first year) and was substituted in every game. People couldn't understand why Cody stuck with him but he was unreal in the All-Ireland. Deserved MotM but not an All-Star
You could be right, I can't really remember how he got on that year apart from the final. I think it was his second year on the panel,first year starting

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion