Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Big news today for the reserves

• 19-02-2015 11:05am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34

Alright lads just heard on the news that there is going to be a big recruitment drive for the reserves this year and new powers that have not yet been confirmed.
    Thoughts anyone and for us waiting a while this comes as big news.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭tg123

Alan94 wrote: »
    Alright lads just heard on the news that there is going to be a big recruitment drive for the reserves this year and new powers that have not yet been confirmed.
    Thoughts anyone and for us waiting a while this comes as big news.

Was it in the papers

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34 Alan94

tg123 wrote: »
    Was it in the papers

No it was on the radio news at 10 am earlier but I can't find anything on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭rookie1470

Getting the background checks completed after nearly 3 years, before medical and then getting a call to Templemore. I've waited this length!!!

Garda Reserves to receive greater powers
    Thursday 19 February 2015 22.45

Reserve gardaí will be able to issue penalty points, serve summons to motorists and seize vehicles
    The Garda Commissioner is set to widen the powers and duties of the Garda Reserve.

RTÉ News has learned that, after an internal review of the 1,000 member Garda Reserve by the Garda Commissioner Nóirín O'Sullivan, it has been decided to extend their powers to include issuing penalty points and serving summons to motorists and the power to seize vehicles.

Members of the voluntary unpaid body will also be issue with TETRA radios when going on duty.

RELATED AUDIO & VIDEO

Watch: Garda Reserve to be given more powers and duties
    Minister for Justice and Equality Frances Fitzgerald confirmed in the Dáil this morning that the Commissioner is finalising arrangements to extend the powers so that the Reserve "can make a greater contribution to policing."

She said that recruitment to the Garda Reserve slowed down last year as the Public Appointments Service was focused on recruitment to An Garda Síochána.

However, there will 'more accelerated recruitment to the Garda Reserve' this year.

RTÉ has learned that under the new proposals, members of the a voluntary unpaid body are also set to be given additional training in areas such as domestic violence, child protection, conflict resolution, garda policy on bullying and harassment, and Out of Vehicle Safety Training (OVST).

The Garda Reserve was established under the Garda Síochána Act 2005 and members have certain garda powers while on duty and perform their policing duties as determined by the Commissioner, under the supervision of and supported by regular garda members.

Among the existing duties of Garda Reserve members are station duties, monitoring CCTV, foot patrol accompanied by full-time Garda members, and providing cordons at major events such as festivals and sporting events.

Some people have used the Garda Reserve as a stepping-stone for entry into the force.

Minister Fitzgerald told the Dáil this morning that "23 members of the first group who entered the college in Templemore had been members of the Garda Reserve. Some 17 former members of the Garda Reserve were in the second batch of 100 new recruits, while 13 former members were in the third batch of 100 new recruits."

Minister Fitzgerald has welcomed confirmation from the Commissioner that she is finalising arrangements for the extension of powers and facilities to Garda Reserve.

Minister Fitzgerald told the Dáil today that as of 31 December 2014, the latest date for which figures are available, there were 1,124 Garda Reserve members with a further 48 in training.

There are 12,799 members in An Garda Síochána.

Keywords: garda reserve

• Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭RUNNER 1

Why a big recruitment ? and there people waiting to get in , why keep taking people on?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18 blarney15

RUNNER 1 wrote: »
    Why a big recruitment ? and there people waiting to get in , why keep taking people on?

Remember the reserves cannot exceed more than 10% of the overall strength. If they are announcing big recruitment its obviously because of the big number of resignations

Well we all knew it was coming but this is great news.

Get ready guys and gals its going to be a very exciting time for all of us

blarney15 wrote: »
    Remember the reserves cannot exceed more than 10% of the overall strength. If they are announcing big recruitment its obviously because of the big number of resignations

Ahhhh Blarney don't be so negative all the time.

Of course there are resignations including yourself but 18% of the existing 300 full timers in training were former Reserves.
    For those of us who where able to stay in, the future is looking good and I know I am very much looking forward to it.

You have to be positive ,remember a lot of viewers and posters on this forum are going through the selection process and hard as it is ,they should be encouraged and advised.

Be interesting to see how many classes they will do .

Ahhhh Blarney don't be so negative all the time.

Of course there are resignations including yourself but 18% of the existing 300 full timers in training were former Reserves.
    For those of us who where able to stay in, the future is looking good and I know I am very much looking forward to it.

You have to be positive ,remember a lot of viewers and posters on this forum are going through the selection process and hard as it is ,they should be encouraged and advised.

@tg123, I'm assuming your a current GR, how are you getting on with full time members where your based??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 313 ✭✭gilly0512

After over seven years of doing this, I take any of these announcements with a big dollop of salt, I have seen enough false dawns over the years to last me a lifetime, so until such a time that we are actually told that we have these powers, I will remain deeply sceptical. We were told three or four years ago that we were getting public order powers, but that they wouldn't be released until we all had completed a one day refresher course in Templemore. As we all know this so called course was the biggest joke of all time, it took them the guts of two years to get all of the Reserves down to Templemore, and even still we're waiting for our new powers. Also in relation a to a big recruitment drive for Reserves, yet again I can't see the point of this until such a time that they start utilising Reserves properly. In my station you could go in for a tour, and find that there are more Reserves working than full timers, which generally means one lucky Reserve gets to sit in the back of the patrol car for the tour, one goes up to the radio room, and the rest get to sit in the public office for 10 hours. So if it was up to me, I would not hire one more Reserve until the current lot were given fit for purpose powers and proper training, with the eventual carrot of being allowed to patrol on your own with another Reserve once you had proven yourself. At the end of the day there is no point in having say 2000 Reserves, if the majority of them are only going to be sitting around Garda stations, or in the back of a Patrol Car. Utilise us properly, or get rid of Reserves altogether.

rookie1470 wrote: »
    @tg123, I'm assuming your a current GR, how are you getting on with full time members where your based??

For me it has always been good have worked with the same unit for the past six years .At the start like all newcomers whether they be fulltimers or reserves you have to get past the trust barrier and demonstrate that you are willing and able to get stuck in. The main thing is your willingness to learn and that you are there to support the fulltime . The social aspect is also important , drinks and nights out with the unit.

For me it has always been good have worked with the same unit for the past six years .At the start like all newcomers whether they be fulltimers or reserves you have to get past the trust barrier and demonstrate that you are willing and able to get stuck in. The main thing is your willingness to learn and that you are there to support the fulltime . The social aspect is also important , drinks and nights out with the unit.

I have been waiting nearly 3 years since the start of the process to now where my background checks have yet to be completed!! In the beginning GR were seen to be taking over time and being a waste of time as full time members had to "babysit" them but that was in the beginning and when I applied the GR were beginning to be accepted. So its good to know that if I get in I will be seen as someone who genuinely wants to help and not on a power trip!!

The new Commissioner is making s huge impact . Wont be long before the reserve starts to change

• Closed Accounts Posts: 313 ✭✭gilly0512

The new Commissioner is making s huge impact . Wont be long before the reserve starts to change

Initially I would have been against her appointment, as she would have been seen as part of the old brigade, even if she is quite young for a Commish. However I did hope that having a son in the Reserve might sway her thinking and make her more pro Reserve than any of the previous commissioners, so hopefully that will prove to be the case.

gilly2308 wrote:
    Initially I would have been against her appointment, as she would have been seen as part of the old brigade, even if she is quite young for a Commish. However I did hope that having a son in the Reserve might sway her thinking and make her more pro Reserve than any of the previous commissioners, so hopefully that will prove to be the case.

I hope so too.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭bluetop

gilly2308 wrote: »

And now in the first batch to pass out !! as full time member.

her son got full time ,haha I wonder how he did that .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Canyon86

no surprise there runner!

you can be sure a lot of gards sons/daughters were well looked after at interview stage.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

I believe he did a great interview. The board were very impressed. He is an example to everyone else as to how to succeed

• Advertisement

Santa Cruz wrote: »
    I believe he did a great interview. The board were very impressed. He is an example to everyone else as to how to succeed

Great inside knowledge keep up the good work :pac:

They say there speeding things up yet no dates for medicals or training for 2015 have been set and were coming into match .I really hope they do what they said they would .

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

bluetop wrote: »
    Thanks. Best of luck to him inhis Sergeants interview

Santa Cruz does not have any inside info never provides any hard evidence to back up his posts and constantly belittles the reserve so a large pinch of salt is advised

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭A.G.S

And now in the first batch to pass out !! as full time member.

And where did you hear this ? Just so you know your wrong!

A.G.S wrote: »
    And where did you hear this ? Just so you know your wrong!

blue grape vine is always a good place to start ;) ..... and you know because ? !

Santa Cruz does not have any inside info never provides any hard evidence to back up his posts and constantly belittles the reserve so a large pinch of salt is advised

thats why i thanked him / her lol salt is cheap :)

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭A.G.S

blue grape vine is always a good place to start ;) ..... and you know because ? !

Well knowing him personally and being in the same class in the reserves would give me the know.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Thekid2010

I completed my interviews in March 2013 and last one in nov 2013,missed a call from private number just before Christmas,rang the reserve office in the new year to see if there was any news and they told me they were trying to arrange a medical date and there is none on the cards at present,is there anybody else waiting on a medical,I'm hoping to be in the batch this year

• Advertisement

A.G.S wrote: »
    Well knowing him personally and being in the same class in the reserves would give me the know.

Someone telling porkies so ........ !:eek:

Advertisement