Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reserve incidents off duty

• 27-11-2013 7:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭

Topic that has been on my mind for quite a while now. After witnessing a few incidents off duty or as a member of the public.

First incident was two lads trying to dip a ladies handbag on the way home from work. Basically, gave the two lads a bit of a scare. Asked them if they were alright get your hands out of her bag in a kinda of not asking you way. They both took off, asked the women was she alright was anything taken. (Thankfully not).

Second incident, lad trying to rob a bike. Was going to get food, noticed this lad at the bike rack acting shady. So went in ordered food, popped my head outside the door seen him basically lifting the bike up a ramming it up in the air trying to break the lock. Rang 999, ask to be put into contact with the Garda told them what was happening at this stage your man had given up and was walking off into a park.

Third incident was a cash in transit robbery. Now didn't see this in progress but did see the car drive off. Nobody seemed to be doing anything just in shock. I went over asked the driver was he okay did he want a cup of tea (was in work)and had he called the robbery in. He said he did, but I rang 999 again with the details of the car, direction of travel etc..

Its been playing on my mind the incidents I personally think I done the correct things in the situations. I mean weighing up my options, if I ID myself as a Garda thats a can of worms in itself for me, then there's no equipment for my protection (batton, radio, backup, vest). The only reason I got involved in incident 1 was because I just couldn't watch someone get robbed after a hard days work.

What incidents have Reserves or even full time member been in off duty or just as member of the public which is what reserves are really when off duty?

I mean, would you be hard pushed to find a Garda out doing the shopping wheeling the shopping trolly to the car next thing the Garda is seen 3/4/5 lads running around with automatic weapons robbing a cash van? Would that Garda do something in that situation or just call it in a wait for back up?

Just interested to hear what incidents members come across off the clock.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

I don't think any Reserve or indeed off duty Garda would be expected to put themselves in danger if they witness a crime. However they cannot ignore a crime being committed either. A call to 999 to alert on duty Gardaí , make your presence known without getting attacked, take some measures which would help identify the culprits would be ample action.
    Many years ago Gda Michael Reynolds of Raheny was murdered while off duty. He was out shopping with his wife when he witnessed a bank robbery. He chased the robbers and was shot dead in St. Annes Park. Too far beyond the call of duty I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Scouser

The rule of thumb is never place yourself at risk

ringing it in is the first thing you should do, either via 999 or local station phone

after that its up to you to deem whats safe and what is not

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

So something similar like this happened to me tonight.

Coming out of my local shop, two young lads with scarfs over there faces went in. Was with the GF and been honest took a moment to settle in with what was happening. Got straight onto 999 gave description and direction they headed in, both had knifes. Not sure if I should have done much more? Been honest, it been a local shop I was kinda hesitant about doing anything much more than calling it in. Should I have maybe followed in car at a distance while on phone? Have many Garda not just Reserves ever been in this situation, there's quite a difference between going to a call like this and literally it breaking out in front of you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Canyon86

TallGlass wrote: »

Coming out of my local shop, two young lads with scarfs over there faces went in. Was with the GF and been honest took a moment to settle in with what was happening. Got straight onto 999 gave description and direction they headed in, both had knifes. Not sure if I should have done much more? Been honest, it been a local shop I was kinda hesitant about doing anything much more than calling it in. Should I have maybe followed in car at a distance while on phone? Have many Garda not just Reserves ever been in this situation, there's quite a difference between going to a call like this and literally it breaking out in front of you.

you did the right thing imo, the gardai will be glad of your input,

fair play

• Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭RUNNER 1

100% , you done the right thing .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭tg123

TallGlass wrote: »

It always depends on the person and the circumstances recently saw a post about a tallaght reserve on facebook campaign for garda recruitment there was even a pic of him capturing a burgular when he was on holidays in france. Now thats what i call beyound the call of duty

1013630_822177187820585_909253100982247372_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭tg123

heard that this off duty reserve got a commendation for his capture of this burgular

well deserved

Advertisement