Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Why do people still eat dairy?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,082 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

mickman wrote: »
    prob dropped due to lack of energy from a silly diet

You can't say that for certain but certainly his season thus far is not the strongest case I could imagine for a vegan diet being suitable for an NFL player.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

ch750536 wrote: »
    Hemp Cannabis protein for example.

arnold_pot-300x238.jpg
    for the gainz:D

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭kilkenny12

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    I'm really not interested in ethics / morals / religion dictating what you eat.

If there's real science supporting a vegan approach as the best approach I've yet to see it. What I've seen a veritable load of however is anecdotal 'I went vegan and it cured all my diseases' type nonsense.

Show me this great army of elite vegan athletes. I like to try and achieve moderate feats of physical strength. Would be very difficult (or impossible) if I was vegan imo.

You wanna see an "army of elite vegan athletes"? Type "raw till 4" into youtube and you'll see incredibly healthy athletic vegans. Go on I dare ya!

mickman wrote: »
    prob dropped due to lack of energy from a silly diet

This is why vegans get a bad rep. Cause people try it and don't eat enough. Calorie restriction is not fun. I eat so much since I went vegan...:D

Love it:P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

kilkenny12 wrote: »
    This is why vegans get a bad rep. Cause people try it and don't eat enough. Calorie restriction is not fun. I eat so much since I went vegan...:D

Love it:P

Wonderful , and I love eating bacon and scrambled eggs with cream, slow fried in butter.

To each their own.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭dashdoll

Because very little else in life compares to the taste of melted cheese.....or greek yoghurt.....nom!!

• Registered Users Posts: 29 EVILE

I thought Ecstasy was swallowed.

EVILE wrote: »
    I thought Ecstasy was swallowed.

?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭Gandalph

You'd probably have more luck promoting communism to the 1% than promoting a vegan diet to the general public.

I've experimented with vegan restaurants more than once and I have to say just about everything I ate tasted like sawdust.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭sh1tstirrer

ch750536 wrote: »
    That's fine if you think no further. Eaten many bugs today? They're good for you and taste nice, so why not?

Bugs, in Abbeyfeale surely you mean insects unless you are a Yank ;)

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

Gandalph wrote: »
    I've experimented with vegan restaurants more than once and I have to say just about everything I ate tasted like sawdust.

My experience is different. I've always found that vegan restaurants tend to put a load of effort into flavour as they can't rely on the natural umami flavours of meat and cheese. There are bad vegan restaurants but there are bad non-vegan restaurants too.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,550 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

My experience is different. I've always found that vegan restaurants tend to put a load of effort into flavour as they can't rely on the natural umami flavours of meat and cheese. There are bad vegan restaurants but there are bad non-vegan restaurants too.

I read this first as 'omanoma'...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭_Tombstone_

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭crestglan

Dairy is one of the essentials you need in your diet its as important as protein and fibre

crestglan wrote: »
    Dairy is one of the essentials you need in your diet its as important as protein and fibre

Not true at all. LOL.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

crestglan wrote: »

I read the same on a toilet wall the other day.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

I tried Linda mccartneys sausages when they had them in aldi, they were like eating dog meat. There were 4 in the packet still two left after a couple of months. I did a bit if research on vegan sasuages a and found out they are poisoned with salt compared to pork sasuages, they have to add extra artifical flavour to make them bearable.

I tried Linda mccartneys sausages when they had them in aldi, they were like eating dog meat. There were 4 in the packet still two left after a couple of months. I did a bit if research on vegan sasuages a and found out they are poisoned with salt compared to pork sasuages, they have to add extra artifical flavour to make them bearable.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

Sam Kade wrote: »

This has got what exactly to do with dairy now?

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭folamh

I think that people generally should avoid dairy, with the exception of some kefir or yoghurt here and there for populating your gut with good bacteria. However, local grassfed milk and cheeses which aren't pumped full of hormones and preservatives can be a far superior choice to many so-called health foods. Also a good source of vitamin K for vegetarians.

• Advertisement

Like, it's better to take local grassfed milk than to drink that awful processed soy milk because you don't consume dairy as a rule.

You wanna see an "army of elite vegan athletes"? Type "raw till 4" into youtube and you'll see incredibly healthy athletic vegans. Go on I dare ya!

Just avoid durianrider and Freelee who are dishonest propagandists.

Raw vegans and fruitarians tend to have high levels of energy and can exercise for ages, but that's not necessarily a metric of health. They're still lacking essential nutrients.

I think I eat too much dairy. Lots of milk, butter, cheese, yogurt, cream etc but I haven't seen any real health issues (unless large noisy farts in the morning are a result).
    How could I give up toast and butter?

Hey, grassfed butter is one of the exceptions to the 'dairy is bad' rule. It's a far better choice for cooking than most vegetable oils, which are high in PUFA fats.

Ditch the toast, however.

papu wrote: »
    This has got what exactly to do with dairy now?
    Subsituting normal food with vegan rubbish. Did you ever see a thread on boards that went off topic? Happens all the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 843 ✭✭✭QuinDixie

How could you not eat dairy. Milk, butter, yoghurt, CHEESE, cream.
    You would have some sad diet without them.

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭feelgoodinc27

folamh wrote: »
    I think that people generally should avoid dairy, with the exception of some kefir or yoghurt here and there for populating your gut with good bacteria. However, local grassfed milk and cheeses which aren't pumped full of hormones and preservatives can be a far superior choice to many so-called health foods. Also a good source of vitamin K for vegetarians.

All Irish dairy has a grass based diet and hormones are illegal here. Issues with diet, hormones and overuse of antibiotics are problems associated with countries like the USA.

All Irish dairy has a grass based diet and hormones are illegal here. Issues with diet, hormones and overuse of antibiotics are problems associated with countries like the USA.

Irish cows do get given antibiotics though don't they?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,016 ✭✭✭tastyt

If you had to pick only one food that you could eat/drink for the rest of your life and live longest and healthiest on then milk would be it.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,180 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

Im lactose intolerant .....I'd still eat dairy if I could though :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭feelgoodinc27

Irish cows do get given antibiotics though don't they?

A sick animal will be treated as they should, the issue is with mass use of antibiotics for purposes like disease prevention or promoting growth.

Advertisement