Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

****** Garda Reserve Guide & Application Process ******

• 09-09-2009 4:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,230 ✭✭✭

Heya Folks

What with the massive interest in An Garda Síochána on this site and with particular reference to the reserves, I've taken the liberty of compiling a short Guide to answer questions of those looking to join the Garda Reserve (I've run this past the mods of course (;))).

Firstly, you should note that as it sounds, the Garda Reserve is voulantary. You are required, if accepted, to donate a minimum of 208 hours per year of your time to the job, however you may as I understand put yourself down for more hours as conditions at your assigned station allow. You will, if recruited, be paid an annual gratuity of €1,000 to cover expenses.

* How do I apply?

To apply to join the Garda Reserve, navigate to www.publicjobs.ie and:

On the left hand side of the page click on Campaign Updates
    Click In Progress Campaigns
    Scroll down the page to the Garda Reserve (Voluntary) section and the Interview Application Form is the first form.

Fill out this form and send it back to the Public Appointments Service.

In the 1-4 weeks following your application, you will be contacted by the Public Appointments Service (PAS). Usually, they will advise you of a number of dates on which interviews are planned in your area and ask you for a preference. Based on this, you will receive a letter within another few weeks advising you of your interview date and time.

* Stage I: The Interview and Report Writing Process (take a look HERE for fellow boards' posters thoughts / opinions & experiences)

At your interview, you will be asked about your reasons for joining the Garda Reserve, about your previous work experience, about certain challenges you have faced and about any community involvement you have had to date. There will most likely be one Civil Servant from the PAS and one former or serving Superintendent on the panel.

Either immediately before or after your interview, depending on the time of day it is scheduled, you will be required to sit a report writing exercise under test conditions. The scenarios vary and in line with the forum charter these must never be discussed on boards.ie as it would techinically constitute cheating. Suffice is to say they consist of cartoon-strip style stories which you must summarise in a particular way; mimicking Garda note-taking and report writing duties.

* Stage II: Over the first hurdle? (take a look HERE for fellow boards' posters thoughts / opinions & experiences)

If you are successful in the interview and report writing stage you will receive a letter from the PAS advising you of same, and directing you to their website to download the Garda BR form. Now you ahould get the coffee on, this takes a while! This is the last contact you should have with the PAS, all further queries should be directed to Garada Reserve offices at Garda HQ in the Phoenix Park.

( :D )When filling in the BR form, it is essential you answer everything truthfully and fully. You need to include all blood relatives, spouses etc, but not uncles or aunts related to you only by marriage, etc.

When you have completed the form, it must be signed in the presence of a Garda in a station local to you, and you have to make sure the member filling out the receipt for you takes a copy and sends it to HQ at once. If they fail to do so (as in my case) you lose as much time as you leave until you query the mistake. I waited six weeks...

* Stage III: Meeting with local Sergeant/Inspector and Superintendent. (take a look HERE for fellow boards' posters thoughts / opinions & experiences)

The background checks will now be processed by HQ. This can take anywhere from two weeks to two years, but the average seems to be around 12-18 weeks. At any stage from now on, you may be called for meeting, or multiple meetings with your local Sergeant, Inspector or Superintendent (Sgt and Inspt pass recommendations to Supt). These are informal chats however it is suggested to dress smartly.

* Stage IV: Medical (take a look HERE for info on the medical)

If the top brass are happy that you and yours are squeaky clean and - to quote a sergeant - you don't have IRA tatooed on your forehead, you will hopefully end up with a phone call inviting you to a medical an HQ in the Phoenix Park (beside the Zoo).

You will be sent an email with a medical questionnaire which must be completed in full and signed off by your GP. You have to bring this and some photo ID to HQ on the day of the medical.

You'll arrive at the main gate, go to reception where you'll be directed to the medical centre...this will be followed by a wait of 30mins or so and a nurse will talk your blood pressure, do a urine test, check weight and height, lung capacity and also conduct the hearing test.

The hearing test is quite sensitive so lay off the iPods etc for 24 hours before the medical.

Next you'll be shown upstairs to another waiting room, and after another hour or so average you'll be called for the doctor bit. This is quick and easy - undress, get checked over thoroughly (lads get to cough twice ), they check for ECG scars, acne, varicose veins, dental caries etc.

Last but not least you'll have your colour vision checked with the Ishihara plates and eyes tested.

If you don't pass the medical, you're back to square one (as I found out to my cost). The good news is if you fail it on eyesight they're quite happy to take you post-laser treatment but you have to apply again. I'm told it doesn't seem to go any quicker the second time, but everyone has been different so far.

You may also have a deferral where you need to call up a report on some history etc from your GP and that will be examined at a later date.

*Stage V: Accepted!

Congratulations, you will now be called to begin your training at Templemore, where I'm told you get to learn lots of things and hit people with ASPs for a day*.

*May or may not be legal or true

I will go into this in more detail if and when I am ever put through and pass the medical!

Hopefully those of you with more experience with this process might want to add to this, in which case NGA has said just pm him or another mod and they'll edit accordingly. :)

further kerry4sam edit:
    Some fellow boards' posters have started this duties & powers thread which is worth a look through.
    ... other useful websites can be found:
    - justice.ie
    - careersportal info

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Might I suggest a mod sticky this thread please.

Good thinking sdonn :) It covers just about everything, well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭Hooch

A big thanks to sdonn for doing out this guide for us. Also most of the credit for this whole sub forum goes to him.

I'm going to lock this now (think it should just be a guide....not a discussion) but if any serving reserve wishes to add something please pm myself or another mod and we'll add it if factual.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭Hooch

Hi guys.

Can I get a pm off each of you who are (or claim to be) Garda Reserve members?? Just to compile a list of Reserve members in case we need to ask questions etc or clarify something.

Please include year you joined and/or what part of training you are in.

If your interested you might write a few lines of what you think of the Reserve (good or bad).

This is for ES mods only and wont be re produced. Just something im interested in getting together.

Thanks
    NGA:)

Edit: Maybe include reason for joining???

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,529 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

A private forum has been created for the benefit of Garda Reserve members (Cheers ZA).Please note that you must be a serving Garda Reserve member to join.

Those who are thinking of applying to join the Garda Reserve, or who are currently going through the application process will not need access, as the forum will not have any information that will be of benefit to you at this time.

Thanks

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement