Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Rail strike days

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭may06

Is this a possible likelihood?

Further stoppages are planned for September, but Mr O'Leary warned the possibility of an all-out stoppage cannot be ruled out, given that the union has a mandate of more than 80pc in favour of this action.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Get Real View Post
    5. That IE provide pensions and benefits?
    [reply by infini2]
    No major benefits bar privilage fares for travelling from where im working the pension for most is basically something that is meant to augment the state pension when people retire its no payday if thats what your wondering.

Do IE staff and their families not get free GP care?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,053 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

And a subsidised to the hilt pharmacy in Broadstone.

The lack of trains going past was taken advantage of at Navan Road Parkway, bulk of the Maynooth bound platforms glass shelters were smashed.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭mickydoomsux

Nope, it's a scheme that you pay into every week.

The amount we pay increased a couple of years ago as well with dire warnings that it might increase again some time in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭comongethappy

Nope, it's a scheme that you pay into every week.

The amount we pay increased a couple of years ago as well with dire warnings that it might increase again some time in the future.

What is the amount you currently pay into this fund?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭ Aniyah Bald Tire

An all out stoppage would surely finish the company once and for all. The workers wouldn't risk that I don't think. Although maybe they would, common sense seems to be sorely lacking in this dispute.

What is the amount you currently pay into this fund?

€2.80 a week for me. Not sure about people with families.

An all out stoppage would surely finish the company once and for all. The workers wouldn't risk that I don't think. Although maybe they would, common sense seems to be sorely lacking in this dispute.

It wouldn't finish the company, if only because there is no other company waiting in the wings.

Thanks.

In the event of needing a GP, how much of the fee can you claw back from the fund?

Thanks.

In the event of needing a GP, how much of the fee can you claw back from the fund?

It makes trips to your selected GP free basically.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭cdebru

This doesn't just apply to public sector jobs, but: employment law matters right up until it doesn't and changes get made to your terms/conditions/pay without your agreement anyway.

First IE is not public sector it is a semi state, second the government introduced legislation specifically to allow them cut PS workers pay, so it does apply to PS workers or any worker.

If you read the links it is very clear, so it can only be changed by agreement or by a change in the law so for example, if the government increases the minimum wage that is a legal change , there is no legal basis for IE to alter anyone's wages even temporarily, it is 100% illegal and breaches your contract of employment, unless you accept the changes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

Unlikely. Its politics at work here expecially from the goverment side and more than likely if the strike the last 2 days was anything its a warning it'll be worse if nothing is done to resolve it before the next two in 2 weeks expecially with colleges and all back. It might take the threat of an all out strike to make both the goverment and managment get off their belligerent horse and come look at the issues instead of hiding in the ivory tower. Worst case scenario would be nothing get resolved and it eventually escalates to an all out national transport strike. Theres already calls for a mass demonstration in support of the disgusting situation at greyhound where theyre locking the lads there out for not accepting a 35% pay cut and bringing in 100 east eurpean lads on lower pay (aka yellowpacks) so the possibility of a snowball effect is there.

Realistically the amount needed to plug the hole would be €17~20mil. If the minister is so serious about saying he wants value for the taxpayer he shouldnt be targetting the workers who genuiely want to help. Hell bring in an outside auditor and see where all this moneys going to. Seeing money walk out the door via unmanned stations, excessive amounts of free passes that have high levels of fraud and arent even funded properly not to mention enforcement issues with tickets are some of the things the lads on the ground see. Free I E is what one lad called it.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,071 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Infini2 wrote: »
    ...Seeing money walk out the door via unmanned stations, excessive amounts of free passes that have high levels of fraud and arent even funded properly not to mention enforcement issues with tickets are some of the things the lads on the ground see. Free I E is what one lad called it.

Free free passes that aren't even funded properly is likely a larger cost than all of the others combined.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,891 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Unless a new one has since come in, the CIE GP scheme for families was scaled back a good 20 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Tube

That's a super deal. Been to the GP three times this year, cost me €180 so far.

Tube wrote: »

It is great value if you are actually using it i suppose, a few of the guys with Rolls-Royce type private health insurance plans are considering pulling out of it.

I haven't been to a GP in literally 2 decades. Don't think the doctor i had to pick for the scheme even knows me :P

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Well in 8 years been to doctor 4 times so it's costing €145.60 a year so not that cheap or free that some seem to think.

If on the dole I would'nt have to worry as the medical card that so many have would cover the gp.

We as workers pay rsi and levies and everything else so we should all have access to proper health care....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    Of course there would be exceptions but even with the shift changes turnout looked very poor.

Its not required for everyone to show up at the one location.

Well done to the Irish Rail staff and hope you all get a better deal then us in db.

Workers should unite together not be against each other.

Nope, we found out the dates when they were officially served in the strike notice to the company.

Via errortel and the media.

• Advertisement

It is great value if you are actually using it i suppose, a few of the guys with Rolls-Royce type private health insurance plans are considering pulling out

I have an average private sector insurance policy that covers none of the gp or prescription costs. I'd happily swap for your deal.

Why are people so fasinated with what others have and don't have ?

may06 wrote: »
    Is this a possible likelihood?

Further stoppages are planned for September, but Mr O'Leary warned the possibility of an all-out stoppage cannot be ruled out, given that the union has a mandate of more than 80pc in favour of this action.

They havent. They didnt tell anyone at the time of the ballot that it may be an all out strike , if they did i doubt that the strike would have gone ahead.

Why are people so fasinated with what others have and don't have ?

Its a case of begrudgery. Some not happy unless others are down to their level of pay or they the same as others.

I have an average private sector insurance policy that covers none of the gp or prescription costs. I'd happily swap for your deal.

Does that policy cover you for A & E visits?

Thanks.

None and its only at selected GP's.

Hilly Bill wrote: »
    Does that policy cover you for A & E visits?

I don't think so bit if I'm totally honest I can't remember. The gp charges €60 for the letter which it doesn't cover. I do remember that!

Its a case of begrudgery. Some not happy unless others are down to their level of pay or they the same as others.

In fairness this thread is about IE and their pay and conditions. A full picture is required so that people can inform themselves and come to an opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭JayRoc

Infini2 wrote: »
    About 36k would be the lowest end of the scale at depotman grade.

Pretty much yes on this.

Only ones that could be on close to that would be the drivers at the top of the scale (10years).

Thats what therye saying but the key issue on this is Trust. We got a goverment that undermined the previous cost saving agreement that people signed up to within months of it being agreed via cutting the subsidy again. As it stands people working there believe theyre lying and theyll just keep undermining the place since they got no interest in actually maintaining it for the people

No major benefits bar privilage fares for travelling from where im working the pension for most is basically something that is meant to augment the state pension when people retire its no payday if thats what your wondering.

As far as the staff position goes they agreed to reduced terms and conditions in return for core pay being maintained and the goverment and managment basically undermined it within 2 months of agreement. The managment and goverment basically have no credibility atm and if workers dont make a stand theyll just keep walking over them.

Supposedly but that being said you got the goverment thats tossed a bunch of taxes on everyone including them dramatically reducing income and then theres the water taxes beginning soon. Throw a morgage and young family into the mix and that money can be the difference for some.

To be honest though the way the companys being run the last few years expecially with the gutting of the front line staff has basically brought things to the point where the future of the company is in serious doubt. Theres been alot of mismanagment with things like the spending on excess trains not to mention the sheer amount of holes with revenue and the free travel pass scheme. Basically its either face the issues down now or wait till they slowly bleed the place dry down the road. Either way could be the same result so better to face down these issues now than have them constantly kicking them down the road till its too late.

I very much appreciate your honesty, no-one made you come here and detail pay scales, benefits, etc. Fair play...sincerely.

But as someone who's been working full-time since the age of seventeen and who has spent a lot on his continuing education... to still end up, most weeks, taking home something close to the minimum industrial wage, I can't help but wonder at the mentality of people who'd strike because they're being asked to temporarily give up 10-15 quid a week while earning a minimum of 36,000 PA at the "lowest end of the pay scale", while having to fork out all of 2.80 a week for FREE GP cover for them and their entire family?
    (EDIT) Plus a pension? Come on, lads. Get real. Yee are doing fine here.

Personally I would crawl over broken glass to have those kind of pay/conditions.

• Advertisement

Pretty much.

Disregard the fact that a lot of IE employees work 48 hours a week, evenings, weekends, at the crack of dawn and long after sundown for a flat rate pay which is a little bit over the national average wage and the front-line folks are nearly guaranteed to be threatened with physical violence by the "vulnerable" free travel holders roughly twice a week (the last guy who did it to me this very week told me i wouldn't even see it coming as he was an inch from my face shouting at me, lovely :eek:).

We're all just spongers who do nuthin' but drink tae and laugh at the passengers. We should all be fired and hired back on minimum wage and be glad of it.

Advertisement