Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Leinster's worst SH import

• 18-12-2013 12:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Is it unfair to add Lote Tuqiri to the following list?

Owen Finnegan
    Eddie Hekenui
    CJ van der Linde
    Harry Vermaas

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,152 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Clint Newland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭former legend

Yes, very unfair.

Also, CJ van der Linde has no business on that list either.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Yeah defo unfair. I also remember CJ being decent for us, especially carrying.

Still waiting for the Clint Newland legends tshirt.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

I think for something like this you need to weigh up the initial hype/expectation of the player as well as how he performed in the end . Save Tokula for Munster turned out to be a waste but he only played two matches anyway.

Tuqiri didn't shine with Leinster but he was only going to be a short term cover. Plus he's 34 and injury prone.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

It's hard to make such a list. You could easilly put the likes of Galarza and Newland on it, but they were always long shots.

Knoop was another of that type of import.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭GavMan

Juan Gomez is up there too

I think for something like this you need to weigh up the initial hype/expectation of the player as well as how he performed in the end.

Nail/head. For that reason, Owen Finegan takes the prize for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭jamiedav2011

Owen Finnegan the worst of the lot for me.

As someone mentioned, the expectation needs to be factored in.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

It's hard to make such a list. You could easilly put the likes of Galarza and Newland on it, but they were always long shots.

Knoop was another of that type of import.

Galarza and Newland were both the first to spring to mind for me, but yeah I suppose they were long shots....Sykes would have been similar too I suppose.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 603 ✭✭✭PlayerTrader13

Ed O'Donohue?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,668 ✭✭✭Mahatma Geansai

Steven Sykes surely? He came with huge expectations, and his only significant contribution was accusations of racism.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭jacothelad

Ella.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭desertcircus

Steven Sykes surely? He came with huge expectations, and his only significant contribution was accusations of racism.

Leaving aside the accusation of racial abuse (given that, as far as I remember, Mujati accepted that it was a scrum call taken up the wrong way), Sykes was just desperately unlucky. He had an indifferent start after coming straight from the end of the South African season (what a shock for a Leinster tight five signing), then got badly injured just as his girlfriend realised she was pregnant and thousands of miles from their family and friends. If things had worked out a little differently - if she'd gotten pregnant a year later - we could be talking about Sykes' pivotal role in securing another HC after coming back from injury fully fit and ready to go. As it turned out, it didn't go that way, but it seems unfair to ridicule him.

Leaving aside the accusation of racial abuse (given that, as far as I remember, Mujati accepted that it was a scrum call taken up the wrong way), Sykes was just desperately unlucky. He had an indifferent start after coming straight from the end of the South African season (what a shock for a Leinster tight five signing), then got badly injured just as his girlfriend realised she was pregnant and thousands of miles from their family and friends. If things had worked out a little differently - if she'd gotten pregnant a year later - we could be talking about Sykes' pivotal role in securing another HC after coming back from injury fully fit and ready to go. As it turned out, it didn't go that way, but it seems unfair to ridicule him.

Yep, would be unfair to tar Sykes with that racist controversy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭eyeball kid

Seem to remember some Rocky guy a couple of years back. Only stuck around a year, didn't do much.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭FrannoFan

Eddie Hekenui was a legend!!!

the couple of Argentinians were pretty disappointing (prop and second row)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,816 ✭✭✭✭emmet02

poor Berquist was another failure, though injury inflicted failure as opposed to poor rugby.

Galarza, Sykes definitely abject failures too in recent times.

FrannoFan wrote: »
    the couple of Argentinians were pretty disappointing (prop and second row)

Gomez and Galarza.

Again, think they were signed as squad cover rather than big-name additions. Galarza featured for Argentina in this years Quad-Nations, no idea what became of Gomez.

Gomez was the answer to Irelands Prop problems. Hook has been going on for years about Argentinian props and how we needed to get one in on residency and thats who showed up. He ended up subbing in the AIL. Awful player.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,981 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

I could have sworn I saw Juan Gomez at some point later on though... did he end up playing for the pumas? I remember seeing him come on as a sub in either a high enough level club game or an international....

• Registered Users Posts: 24,175 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Neil3030 wrote: »
    I could have sworn I saw Juan Gomez at some point later on though... did he end up playing for the pumas? I remember seeing him come on as a sub in either a high enough level club game or an international....

Gomez played for the Pumas before he even arrived. Bit of a lazy git and is back in Argentina now. He had some talent though supposedly.

Galarza, the lock, started games in this year's RC and did alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,981 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Buer wrote: »
    Gomez played for the Pumas before he even arrived. Bit of a lazy git and is back in Argentina now. He had some talent though supposedly.

Galarza, the lock, started games in this year's RC and did alright.

yeah this was definitely some years after his time at Leinster... maybe last year's AIs?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,956 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Seem to remember some Rocky guy a couple of years back. Only stuck around a year, didn't do much.

Maybe you are thinking of Rocky Elsom, the Aussie blindside flanker who played the one season for Leinster.

Apart from his 11 MOTM awards in the Magners League from 13 starts, 3 MOTM awards in the Heineken Cup winning 2008/9 season including one in the final itself, his European Player of the Year 2008/09 award and Magners League player of the season, we can all agree that he was a flop ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭gaius c

Ed O'Donohue?

Could add Trevor Hogan too if big Ed counts.
    Keogh wasn't much cop either.

gaius c wrote: »
    Could add Trevor Hogan too if big Ed counts.
    Keogh wasn't much cop either.

Ah stop will you. Both Hogan, and particularly Keogh are firstly from Munster (EOD is an Aussie), and both were actually good players, Keogh in particular.

Ah. Forgot about the SH bit in the thread title.

However, Keogh filled a role not unlike that of Niall Ronan's for Munster.
    Not good enough for his own province and decent enough at lower level but seriously out of place at higher level.

gaius c wrote: »
    Ah. Forgot about the SH bit in the thread title.

However, Keogh filled a role not unlike that of Niall Ronan's for Munster.
    Not good enough for his own province and decent enough at lower level but seriously out of place at higher level.

Neither of those players are/were 'seriously' out of place at a higher level.
    Little underpowered maybe, but both solid provincial players who don't deserve to be near this thread. Keogh in particular was really good for Leinster in the league.

To compare guys like Galarza, Gomez, Finnegan, Hekenui etc to solid HEC level pros like Hogan and Keogh is disingenuous.

A solid HEC level pro is somebody like Shane Jennings. Keogh and Hogan were solid Rabo level.

Maybe a teeny bit cheeky adding Ed o'D too considering that he played for Ireland and came from Ulster.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Ed O'Donoghue is on the list because he was awful for Leinster and disappeared after a promising spell at Ulster had us believing he was going to have a good future with us.

Steven Keogh was a great signing for Leinster on the other hand, held our back row together in the ML after SOB broke his leg. Hogan not so much as he had to retire through injury.

Advertisement