Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can I apply for a flat from the council

• 28-05-2012 8:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hi I was just curious about something.
    Last year I left the council house where I grew in up to live in a private rented accommodation because

1. It was close to my weekend job.
    2. It was close to the college I was studying in.
    3. I wasn't getting on with the one parent who pays the rent allowance on the council house (I contributed weekly also).

Now that parent has worked for a number of years to save for a private house, and now that we've gone separate ways, I'm just curious, is it possible to apply for an council flat in a different area of Dublin myself.
    Now that one parent is moving, the council has said that I have to sign off on the house,
    If I do this will the nullify any rights of applying for a single council flat, even though I was only a tenant

sorry bout the long post,
    thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

Yes,it helps if you are living in the council borough that you apply to.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Foodie34

mp22 wrote: »
    Yes,it helps if you are living in the council borough that you apply to.

Thank you, the place I'm residing in now has some nice problems so, if any one else can give me any other advice I would be very greatful.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Immaculata

OP, were you a tenant of council housing yourself, or were you living in council housing as a family member of a tenant? If the council is asking you to 'sign' off the council house, it seems to me that possibly you were a co-tenant. In which case, if you still have a tenancy, you'll need to get shot of that before you'd be eligible for council housing anywhere else. You can't have two council tenancies.

But maybe the council are just trying to find out where you are, if you're still living in the council house or living somewhere else? The rent in a council property is calculated on various things including the number and income source of the people living in it, so if your parents, or one of your parents is still in situ, and you're in private rented accommodation elsewhere, you should provide proof you're in PRA elsewhere so your parent(s) can get their rent re-assessed correctly.

You can apply for council housing in any council area, as far as I know, subject to eligibility. (It used to be that you could have an application in with every council in Ireland at the same time, but I think they've tightened up on that lately.)

You'll need to show that you have a need for housing (i.e. you don't already own a flat or house yourself), be under a certain income limit (i.e. not rich enough to buy a place of your own or get a mortgage), and satisfy various other conditions (such as being legally allowed to be in the country, for one example), but it's all relatively straightforward. Ring your local council and request a social housing application form, or download one from their website. It will list all the documents you need to provide.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Foodie34

thanks, yeh, i'm a family member of a tenant. but I'm residing somewhere else.

Advertisement