Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trees - will they make me money

• 08-07-2012 10:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

A very hopeful and loaded question.....

I have a lot of trees in my back garden - fully mature....bay laurel, holly, and other ones that I don't know the name of.

Is there such a thing as selling these trees? My thinking is that maybe people will want a fully grown tree rather than waiting years for it to mature.

I await the scorn and laughter of everyone at me chancing my arm.

Thanks

G

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

karlitob wrote: »
    Hi all,

A very hopeful and loaded question.....

I have a lot of trees in my back garden - fully mature....bay laurel, holly, and other ones that I don't know the name of.

Is there such a thing as selling these trees? My thinking is that maybe people will want a fully grown tree rather than waiting years for it to mature.

I await the scorn and laughter of everyone at me chancing my arm.

Thanks

G

How would you remove them from the ground without any sort of damage though??

If you want rid of them,then would you not make money by chopping them all up and selling them on as bags or trailers of firewood?

Honest questions.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭karlitob

paddy147 wrote: »
    How would you remove them from the ground without any sort of damage though??

If you want rid of them,then would you not make money by chopping them all up and selling them on as bags or trailers of firewood?

Honest questions.:)

Thanks Paddy

I was thinking that too...

I wondered if tree surgeons would remove them for free and could sell them on as they would be more in the know.

I doubt it but just needed it confirmed by a few ppl on boards before I got the idea out of my head.

Thanks Paddy

I was thinking that too...

I wondered if tree surgeons would remove them for free and could sell them on as they would be more in the know.

I doubt it but just needed it confirmed by a few ppl on boards before I got the idea out of my head.

Well a ton bag of firewood is approx 65 euro on the likes of donedeal and adverts these days.

So depending on the trees,there could be a fair few euros worth of firewood in your garden.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

How would you remove them from the ground without any sort of damage though??)
    Tree spade.

Something like this, though I don't know of anyone doing this sort of thing in this country:

I saw that before on Discovery Channel,that and also the olive tree and orange tree shaker and catcher.

Serious pieces of machinery indeed.:D

• Advertisement

Sorry,I meant Pecan tree/nut shaker and collector.:D

Rovi wrote: »
    Tree spade.

Something like this, though I don't know of anyone doing this sort of thing in this country:

Would love a go off that!!!

Even if I had the machine - despite my house being in the way - a number of trees are near a wall

Well a ton bag of firewood is approx 65 euro on the likes of donedeal and adverts these days.

So depending on the trees,there could be a fair few euros worth of firewood in your garden.;)

Thats a good bit of dough - will keep it in mind - thanks

Also want to get your advice on tree stump removal. I've been researching it a lot and the best way that I have seen (with the caveat that the tree is cut down to its stump) is the following

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYIch5qKPcc

Would appreciate your opinions.

Also want to get your advice on tree stump removal. I've been researching it a lot and the best way that I have seen (with the caveat that the tree is cut down to its stump) is the following

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYIch5qKPcc

Would appreciate your opinions.

We had to remove 4 large cordyline trees around 4 years ago.

We cut them all down with a chainsaw,and left about 2 feet of a stump on each tree.

We then dug down and around the stumps to expose the man root and smaller roots.

We drilled several 20mm holes into the stumps and also the large underground roots.

We then poured in some "neat" glyposphate and left them for 2-3 weeks.

We then dug them out and used a large axe to chop through the roots and the stumps came out very easy.

The glyposphate did a great job of breaking down the remaining stumps and roots,made life so much easier..:D

• Advertisement

The cordyline on the second left is pretty huge. Must have been tough getting it out. See I have (on last count) 19 trees in the back garden and they ain't all staying. Professional tree removal is just out as we really can't afford them.

Did you have any issue with the wall. 4 of our trees are very near a partition wall. Naturally, I dont want to affect the wall so was wondering if the roots in your tree went down instead of spreading out.

The cordyline on the second left is pretty huge. Must have been tough getting it out. See I have (on last count) 19 trees in the back garden and they ain't all staying. Professional tree removal is just out as we really can't afford them.

Did you have any issue with the wall. 4 of our trees are very near a partition wall. Naturally, I dont want to affect the wall so was wondering if the roots in your tree went down instead of spreading out.

No problems with the wall,but we dug down that side 1st to make sure that the roots didnt go in under the foundations.

The stumps all came out fairly easy,in the end.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭rje66

to remove stumps you can hire a stump grinder service.

there are tree spades in dublin to lift large trees, but accesss is usually the prob.

Advertisement