Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dublin Bus fares go up again - too much?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,542 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

This is ridiculous, over 6 euro for me to go into town and come back, basically no reason to use the bus over the luas, last year I believe a day pass which allowed you as much travel on Dublin Bus as you'd like was about 6.50, now it's 40 cent less for two trips, hell, I had a job offer over the other side of the city, one of the main reasons I didn't take it was the fact I'd be paying over a tenner in bus fare, so more than an hours wage each day, while I understand Dublin Bus need to make a profit, they could simply cut back on some bus routes, for instance I believe there's a 27 bus every 10 minutes or so, which is not needed at all, I even see two 27s come at the same time quite often, and one of them is left basically empty, or they could even replace some of the buses which aren't being used with routes that would be used, for instance, the 76a between Tallaght and Blanchardstown has something like 3 buses a day in each direction, one being extremely early, another being around 4/5 and the last being around 10, so none are usable to go shopping or anything, replacing some of the 27s with some 76as would be a very wise decision in my opinion, as I feel a bus route between Tallaght and Blanchardstown would be quite profitable.
    But, as people can see time and time again, Dublin Bus are not a great company and the only way they manage to stay afloat is increasing the fares which people have to pay due to the lack of any other public transport other than the luas and dart which go to very limited locations.

You seem to be obsessed with paying cash for your fares.

Why have you not examined the cheaper options?
    • LEAP Card for occasional use
    • Prepaid period passes for regular use
    • Taxsaver scheme if your employer participates - greatly reduces cost of the ticket

Varadakar and his poodles an the NTA are deliberately letting fares on BB and BE go up in order to create pressure for "competition."

BTW, anyone know what the 2.15 fare will now be?

I think it is more a case that the government are cutting expenditure (reducing the subsidies) and moving more of the burden onto the companies and the end user.

Bear in mind that there are no longer any cuts in services, yet the government is once again reducing the PSO subsidy.

The €2.15 cash fare will increase to €2.35.
    The equivalent LEAP fare will increase from €1.90 to €1.95

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

They're going to price themselves out of some markets. The 41 bus, which serves a community of around 40,000 people in Swords is now going to be €3.05. The Swords Express is a private service with much more comfortable buses and a quicker, more direct route to the City Centre through the port tunnel costs €4 at peak times and €3 at all other times. Why would anyone from Swords use the 41 now? These rises could pave the way for a lot more private services to spring up using the Swords Express model.

Agreed, I drive mostly as I don't have a fixed office location I work in, but when I do take the bus, it's always the Swords Express now

EyeSight wrote: »
    Leap card worked out more expensive than a 3 month flexi ticket for me on the luas. Don't know why they call the 5 euro fee for the leap card a "deposit". If i give it back do i get my 5 euro?

I wouldn't mind if we were getting a better service. It's terrible!

Yes you do get your deposit back.

They're going to price themselves out of some markets. The 41 bus, which serves a community of around 40,000 people in Swords is now going to be €3.05. The Swords Express is a private service with much more comfortable buses and a quicker, more direct route to the City Centre through the port tunnel costs €4 at peak times and €3 at all other times. Why would anyone from Swords use the 41 now? These rises could pave the way for a lot more private services to spring up using the Swords Express model.
    Stheno wrote: »
    Agreed, I drive mostly as I don't have a fixed office location I work in, but when I do take the bus, it's always the Swords Express now

First of all- why would anyone continue to pay cash fares?

The LEAP fare on Dublin Bus will be €2.50. That's a saving of €0.55 per trip!

Secondly, Swords Express cash fares are also increasing from November 1.

Cash fare will be €4.20 peak and €3.20 off-peak.
    LEAP fares will remain at €4 peak and €3 off-peak.

People have got to get into the mentality of using a LEAP card and not paying cash.

If you're travelling regularly then the full range of prepaid tickets offer even better discounts.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

lxflyer wrote: »

People have got to get into the mentality of using a LEAP card and not paying cash.

If you're travelling regularly then the full range of prepaid tickets offer even better discounts.

Swords Express take leap, the service is quicker, and the busses are more comfortable. I'd take a bus maybe once every couple of months so it suits me not to bother with any prepaid ticket as I don't get the value. Haven't a leap card as I haven't been using busses for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭EyeSight

Yes you do get your deposit back.

how? the man in the shop i got mine said i couldn't

EyeSight wrote: »
    how? the man in the shop i got mine said i couldn't

From www.leapcard.ie:
    I have an adult or child Leap Card that is not
    personalised and I want a replacement or a refund. What do I do?

You can apply for a replacement or a refund by logging in to your online account. Click
    here to log in.

If you do not have an online account you should register the card that you
    want refunded or replaced. Then log in to your online account to make your
    request.

Please note, refunds can only be transferred to Irish bank accounts. If you
    are living outside the Republic of Ireland and do not have an Irish bank
    account, click here to download a paper refund
    form.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

I'm quite happy to see a decent increase in the difference between Leap and cash fares.

I'm quite happy to see a decent increase in the difference between Leap and cash fares.

That is entirely intentional.

The NTA have said that they wish to have a gap of 20% between the cash and LEAP fares.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 306 ✭✭fta93

Lots about leap cards, but again they're hitting regular commuters who use prepaid tickets. Not everyone wants to use leap cards which it seems DB are obsessed with. By all means push cash fares up to remove time wasting etc but why keep hitting those with prepaid tickets.

2 years ago, I think my 30 day student ticket was €80. Now going to be €100. 25% increase within 2 years?

fta93 wrote: »
    Lots about leap cards, but again they're hitting regular commuters who use prepaid tickets. Not everyone wants to use leap cards which it seems DB are obsessed with. By all means push cash fares up to remove time wasting etc but why keep hitting those with prepaid tickets.

2 years ago, I think my 30 day student ticket was €80. Now going to be €100. 25% increase within 2 years?

Student Rambler tickets are being abolished and migrated onto Leap, so you'll have to start using it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 paulieb

People have no problem paying more for a Starbucks coffee, if you look at it in that light its not too expensive

Student Rambler tickets are being abolished and migrated onto Leap, so you'll have to start using it.

All he/she will be doing is using the same product but loading it on LEAP - he/she has a valid point - the prepaid tickets have skyrocketed in price and those loyal customers are being milked at each fare increase.

Most people don't have 10+ Starbucks coffees per week.

All he/she will be doing is using the same product but loading it on LEAP - he/she has a valid point - the prepaid tickets have skyrocketed in price and those loyal customers are being milked at each fare increase.

I'm a regular user of prepaid tickets, and I've experience the same increases. I'm just pointing out that LEAP card use is fairly inevitable at this stage.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

folan wrote: »
    time to start cycling so.

Should do, I've saved about 1000 euro this year, started cycling in January.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,394 ✭✭✭Trampas

No increases should be allowed until they sort out their costs

• Registered Users Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Totally agree with you on the LEAP card thing if you have a regular bus journey. Mine are rarely something I plan massively in advance for as I don't bus it into work, but I get that more people should be using them.

However for this particular bus route, they'll lose most of their casual traffic. The Swords Express has been around 10 years and this is the first increase they are making. In the same timeframe, the Dublin Bus fare has probably increased 40-50% for a journey that takes 60 minutes average, whereas with the Swords Express it takes around 35 minutes. Dublin Bus had one advantage realtive to the Swords Express for city centre commuters in that it was substantially cheaper for a long time. Once it goes over €3 for a casual fare, it no longer has that benefit.

If it wasn't for the Luas, I'd say the same would be happening on the Southside with regards to private bus services.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 paulieb

Most people don't have 10+ Starbucks coffees per week.

If you use the bus 10+ times per week, get a rambler ticket.
    If you continually pay more than you need to thats you're problem. You don't have to pay these new fares, those who do are paying cash when they could use leap card and save money. They will get no sympathy from anyone who used leap card.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,546 ✭✭✭dubrov

Price goes up => Demand goes down.

I'd say the gain in the price increases is offset by decrease in passenger numbers.

It is unsustainable and Dublin bus are facing oblivion.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Just because the fare is going up on dublin bus, doesnt mean they are the ones increasing it. And as lxflyer mentioned earlier, its a result of the subsidies being decreased. Less subisidies are going to lead into go higher fares.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭rx8

From the Dublin Bus website;...
    "The National Transport Authority and Dublin Bus have introduced new daily and weekly capping levels for customers traveling on Dublin Bus services. From 4th November, customers can make as many trips as they like across the network using Leap Card and their spend will be capped at €6.90 a day or €27.50 a week. There are also discounted capping levels for students at €5.00 a day or €20.00 a week and children at €2.50 a day or €8.20 a week."

Definitely time to switch to Leap cards.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭JayRoc

Saying that people who don't use the Leap Card are all daft is missing the point. A large number of DB customers will be casual users who want to pay cash. I can't see that ever changing, personally. At least until the Leap Card becomes as CONVENIENT and hassle-free as cash, and as reliable!

Personally I have no intention of using a leap card for the forseeable future. I hear so much about charging inconsistencies, downright mis-charging, a difficulty in putting money on the card,and an apparent lack of driver training that it just doesn't seem worth it to me.

I, and many other people who don't necessarily use public transport every weekday will continue to use the change in my pocket because it is the most convenient and least troublesome method available to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭bikeman1

JayRoc wrote: »
    Saying that people who don't use the Leap Card are all daft is missing the point. A large number of DB customers will be casual users who want to pay cash. I can't see that ever changing, personally. At least until the Leap Card becomes as CONVENIENT and hassle-free as cash, and as reliable!

Personally I have no intention of using a leap card for the forseeable future. I hear so much about charging inconsistencies, downright mis-charging, a difficulty in putting money on the card,and an apparent lack of driver training that it just doesn't seem worth it to me.

I, and many other people who don't necessarily use public transport every weekday will continue to use the change in my pocket because it is the most convenient and least troublesome method available to me.

JayRoc, I feel like a leap card worker sometimes! I have got so many of my family and friends onto the leap card. It really is worth getting. And now with the daily/weekly capping, you can't go wrong. You are mad giving Dublin Bus/IE/ Luas a cent more than you have to for the relatively poor service.

Honestly, even if you use public transport 10 times a year its worth having. It's easy to top up, any payzone shop, all railway and luas stations, auto top if you want. Far handier than fumbling for coins and change. Embrace the change and save money!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

bikeman1 wrote: »
    JayRoc, I feel like a leap card worker sometimes! I have got so many of my family and friends onto the leap card. It really is worth getting. And now with the daily/weekly capping, you can't go wrong. You are mad giving Dublin Bus/IE/ Luas a cent more than you have to for the relatively poor service.

Honestly, even if you use public transport 10 times a year its worth having. It's easy to top up, any payzone shop, all railway and luas stations, auto top if you want. Far handier than fumbling for coins and change. Embrace the change and save money!!

Well said that man...and when services such as Dublin Bikes or a Taxi group go on then even the Flattest of Earthers will risk falling over the edge with the EXTRA cost of Cash Payments !!

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

JayRoc wrote: »

You are exactly who the LEAP epurse is designed for.

Regular users have already got prepaid passes.

sugarman wrote: »
    Great :) ..Its bout time I got myself a little run around, all the more reason to start driving everywhere and only use the bus for heading out on the drink. 25quid a week? For the convenience alone of getting where I want, when I want, whichever way I want and not be left at a bus stop in the pissing rain for half an hour because the bus was a no show ...for 3 to arrive at once. I can spend 30quid a week on fuel and be better off. Hope Dublin bus is run into the ground at this stage.

How much money have they wasted on their new fleats over the years? Ridiculous they scrap all buses over 10yrs of age when theres still plenty of life left in them.

The company actually held the buses for 12 years before replacing them. Most of the fleet were actually sold to operators in the UK for schools services and rail replacement services.

A number of the current fleet have been refreshed to last 16 years.

Clearly you either are rather young, or have a not so clear memory of what the streets of Dublin used to be like when buses were kept in the fleet for far longer, and we had daily breakdowns all over the city.

12 years is the industry average for city bus operations.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 86 ✭✭dublinstevie

Anyone who still pays cash is a fukn retard

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

rx8 wrote: »
    From the Dublin Bus website;...
    "The National Transport Authority and Dublin Bus have introduced new daily and weekly capping levels for customers traveling on Dublin Bus services. From 4th November, customers can make as many trips as they like across the network using Leap Card and their spend will be capped at €6.90 a day or €27.50 a week. There are also discounted capping levels for students at €5.00 a day or €20.00 a week and children at €2.50 a day or €8.20 a week."

Definitely time to switch to Leap cards.

So the 5 day prepay is now the same cost as the Leap card. That's good, sometimes I don't have the money to buy the 30 day one so I buy the 5 day one. I wonder how it will work though...I take 4 buses a day, so if I use my leapcard, I presume I just use the ticket scanner for all four journeys instead of having to queue up for the driver?

Advertisement