Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

loftus hall

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 79,989 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

I just heard there that the daughter went mad after seeing the hooves and the family locked her in her room and the devil appeared to her over and over again and again,till the day she died :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭iamhunted

that was on ray d'arcy this morning

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 79,989 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Ian dempsey actually!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭iamhunted

your right, your right - twas mr dempseys show

• Closed Accounts Posts: 694 ✭✭✭Tragamin2k2

Some pics from friday:
    Clicky

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,019 ✭✭✭✭tk123

I'm dying to drive down and take a look at the place after seeing the pics - especially the indoor ones!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭smirkingmaurice

I'd say its a fairly nasty old spot in winter

Was there this weekend, i have a holiday house near here. With regards to people nt talking about it in the Hook light house was because there was supposed to be a joint advertising campaign between both parties. Whoever was dealing with Loftus hall got mad because it was only being advertised as a haunted house .

they are trying to get rid of this stigma as its going to be re-opened again but i am not sure for what . The hook light house would be sued if they talk about it being haunted. Aparrently !

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Rob-cunningham1

Just Last week me and a few friends thought that it would be a good idea to go into loftus hall and have a look around. We came through fields as if you go up the drive, you have to pass the owners house who is an alcoholic and he comes up to the house with a gun and shoots (so i Hear) We broke down one of the boarded windows and went all over the house even to the top floor. We did hear weird sounds but as there was a few of us we were ok. We found items suck as old reading glasses, full bottles of beer wine and other drinks. We traveled into all the bedroom where we found old new papers from 1994. there are old cabinates full of silver teapots etc. There are loads of dead birds aswell. I was so sososososo suprized when we found two grand pianos!! Its such a waste the amount of stuff left there to rott! And the guy that owns it wont sell it or do it up!
    It was said that durin a game of cards some one dropped a card, when she bent down to pick it up she noticed that the man sitting across from her had hoofs instead of feet! he then shot through thte roof and left a big hole! there is still a hole in it today............

It is such an amazing structure, especially approaching it on a autumn/winters afternoon, eerie is all I can say.

Remember talking about this whilst working at sea, and some off the sailors I worked with whom come from that area, all had the same stories which were mentioned here and some other unusual hearings and sightings were said.

It was great conversation, as it's still today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 Antok7

Here is a great pic taken by Steve Meyler.

loftus1gt6.th.jpg

You Check his sight out & view his other pics

Any more info & Links about Loftus House ???? This is mad interesting!

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Antok7

Here is an article from 'The Carlow Nationalist'

"The ghost stories associated with Loftus Hall

IT was a couple of factors that set me thinking of Loftus Hall and the ghost stories attached to it. The first one was when looking up a map of the local area and the big estates which met in the parish some years ago. The estates in question were the estates of Butler, Fitzwilliam and Tottenham, and it was the name of the last estate that reminded me of Ann Tottenham and her haunting of Loftus Hall. Loftus Hall is situated on the Hook peninsula in south county Wexford. and is even today a lonely enough place. Let us try to think what it was like in olden times when there was no electric light, very few people passing or visiting the hall, with the sound of the moaning wind sweeping about the house on a winter night. The stories of the haunting of the hall are many but the main story concerns the appearance of the once beautiful Ann Tottenham.

This mansion, built on the wind swept Hook peninsula, came into the possession of the Loftus about 1601. Ann was the daughter of Charles Tottenham who had made a name for himself when he rode to Dublin and entered the House of Parliment in his mud spattered boots and clothes to record what proved to be the casting vote against a measure that would have put the Irish Treasury thousands of pounds in debt. He was married twice and by his first marriage he had two daughters, Ann and Elizabeth. Elizabeth married and after some time Charles married again, and is second wife and daughter Ann continued to live at Loftus hall.

Ann soon found that her stepmother was anything but kind to her and eventually forbade her to have the few friends she had visiting the hall. This meant that what was now a very beautiful young woman lived a very lonely existence.

It is a well known fact that the south Wexford coast is one of the most dangerous stretches of water around the Irish coast and as a result many a ship ended her sailing days either grounded on the shore or shattered on the rocks near the coast. Sometimes members of the crew reached the shore and sought shelter in the houses near where they struck. Sometimes they moved inland and were given shelter from the storm until the weather improved. This also applied to travellers on their way to the coast.

Now whiter the man involved with Ann in our story was coming from the sea or not we will never know, but on a stormy winter night there came a loud kicking at the door of Loftus hall and when the door was opened a stranger stood there and asked for shelter. He was invited in and at breakfast the next morning proved to be so interesting a person that he was asked to stay and rest for a few days. This he agreed to do and during his stay he fell in love with Ann and she with him. The story goes that he asked Tottenham for her hand in marriage and was refused. He was asked to leave, which he did and Ann never saw him again.

This is where there are two versions of the cause for Ann’s break down in her state of health. Some say that she felt so heart broken over loving her lover that she lost all interest in living and eventually lost her reason and was confined to the Tapestry Room until she died. After her death her spirit haunted the hall and appeared almost every night. The local parish priest was eventually sent for and is supposed to have confined her wandering apparition to the tapestry room.

The second version of the story is that after her lover leaving Ann discovered that she was pregnant and when she told her father he flew into a rage and had her confined to the tapestry room when visitors came to the house. The story goes on that she died on the birth of her baby after her father had refused to allow a doctor to see her. Some time after her death strange stories began to be told about the house. When guests came some of the party would be put in the tapestry room to sleep. They would be awakened by a weight pressing on them, or the clothes would be pulled from the bed, or they would hear the sound of a dress sweeping the floor. Many guests left in a hurry.

On one occasion the people in the house were awakened by the cries of a servant who was sleeping in the room. When they got him to tell them what happened he told them that he had awoke to see a woman in white with a fierce expression on her face standing beside his bed. When he started to call out she disappeared into a closet at the end of the room, or her coming down the stairs and of her appearing in other parts of the house. Although there are other stories told of strange happenings and sights at Loftus hall, one or two even state that the devil himself appeared in different forms at different times, this is the main story.

The ghost of Ann was seen around the hall for several years until about 1668 when the Tapestry room was turned into a billiard room and the closet at the end of the room demolished. A lot of rebuilding has been carried out since then and different people have used the hall including nuns at one stage. Still the stories go on, perhaps it would take from the place if Ann left it. Still is she is still there, may the day come when she shall rest in peace. "

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭bug

Just passed by this place today on my way to see the lighthouse.

All I can say is that you are struck by it's ill fitting and foreboding towering presence in another wise rural flat area. We drove passed it for about a a half kilometre and I was literally struck by its severe dominance over the landscape.

Boarding it up like that does no favours to its demeanor.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

Wow, bug ... before my time but one of the people responsible for this forum being here?

If I had the cash I would buy Loftus Hall and do it up, I will start doing the lotto religiously.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭stick-dan

I would love to go there i am planning on hitting it next week. Is it going to be worth it?

Lets be honest here, the place is not haunted at all. There were never reports of it being haunted. There was a story about the devil playing cards. There is the same story in every county.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,019 ✭✭✭✭tk123

6th wrote: »
    Wow, bug ... before my time but one of the people responsible for this forum being here?

If I had the cash I would buy Loftus Hall and do it up, I will start doing the lotto religiously.

As a touristy/investigation venue or a mansion to live in..or both?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

stick-dan wrote: »
    I would love to go there i am planning on hitting it next week. Is it going to be worth it?

tourists and ghost hunters are not welcome there so be careful

If you are all interested in Haunted places in that Area, Loftus hall , does look great but there are better places. I have a house in Duncannon. There is Duncannon Fort. This place is supposed to be very haunted. Many times a man can be seen hanged in one of the Mess's there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭stick-dan

If you are all interested in Haunted places in that Area, Loftus hall , does look great but there are better places. I have a house in Duncannon. There is Duncannon Fort. This place is supposed to be very haunted. Many times a man can be seen hanged in one of the Mess's there.

Yawhaw, i would like to no more of these scarier places.In a real ghost-busting frame of mind now.lol

• Advertisement

Wow cool in interested!
    Where about?
    Near Templers?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

<snipped>

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

<snipped>

th_12453_displayimage.cgi_122_342lo.jpg

<snipped>

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

People, please do not ask about, or answer about, illegally gaining access to premises or properties. The forum could get in a huge amount of trouble for hosting such information.

Thanks,
    Steve

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭MysticalSoul

Heya, I was in the bar some years back, when it was still being lived in. the owners were struggling to make ends meet, as very few people stayed in it. Even though, as someone from Wexford, I am fascinated by the story, but I did not find it creepy whatsoever. I think I must have been about 15/16 at the time, so is 15 years since I was in it. I must ask my parents, as they knew the owners

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭DANNY22XX

the owners name is deveraux,,,they are a big family and and have pubs in kilkenny and carlow...they are not intrested at the moment,,,but they have big plans for it .its not gonna be knocked down but they have said they are doing some big upgrades to the building.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 gibbon

i wouldnt go up on a practical basis
    my cousin about 4 years ago, an amateur filmaker, pushed his way in through an old door, said it was like the shining, eerily quiet, expect wllpaper peeling from floors, dirt cold and grime everywhere- as if it was suddenly abandoned years ago,
    but within minutes the police arrived! he was lucky not to be arrested, the police know people are attracted to the place!
    to conclude he said nothing paranormal happened, but it was mid summer- did say it was v creepy
    he was trespassing and he knew it!

gibbon wrote: »
    i wouldnt go up on a practical basis
    my cousin about 4 years ago, an amateur filmaker, pushed his way in through an old door, said it was like the shining, eerily quiet, expect wllpaper peeling from floors, dirt cold and grime everywhere- as if it was suddenly abandoned years ago,
    but within minutes the police arrived! he was lucky not to be arrested, the police know people are attracted to the place!
    to conclude he said nothing paranormal happened, but it was mid summer- did say it was v creepy
    he was trespassing and he knew it!

Another muppet, glad he was caught .

Again there is alot of attention on a house that is not even haunted. I even hear there is a horror movie coming out about it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭blue42

Lets be honest here, the place is not haunted at all. There were never reports of it being haunted.
    There was a story about the devil playing cards. There is the same story in every county.
    not having a go.....but how do you know for certain the place is not haunted?and how do you know duncannon fort is?

Advertisement