Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

21-07-2012, 10:28   #3976
Sad Professor
Information Retrieval

Keep it friendly please, guys. And take discussion of the US cinema shooting elsewhere please. There's a thread in After Hours.
Advertisement
21-07-2012, 10:31   #3977
SamBrugha

Well i gotta say its an amazing movie! and a 5am showing was something else! Truly amazing!
21-07-2012, 15:05   #3978
tok9

Loved it... think I'll have to see it again after i've watched the first 2.
Thanks from:
21-07-2012, 15:47   #3979
ziggy23

Went to see it last night...AMAZING. Will definitely go see it again
My only criticism was Bane's voice was slightly muffled in some scenes.
21-07-2012, 17:53   #3980
Mickeroo

Quote:
Originally Posted by LH Pathe View Post
About this reworked franchise. I sense a curious 'underground' cult for such a mainstream franchise. Would that massacre have happened off the back of Tim Burtons Batman? I doubt it.. I doubt that easily impressionable retard would've gone ballistic for a screening of Tim Burton's batman. but anyhow..

This Nolan guy's vision is overly cold and from Bale I get the American Psycho vibe he's not a million miles from as Bruce Wayne. Cold, calculating capitalist. Yknow those who can't search beyond the mainstream are obviously easily influenced and I've seen the same such repercussions from fans of the veritable dark lady gaga of the 90's, mm. it doesn't work and now I realize give a modern pop crowd darkness they might just become it and I'm glad most of my collection never saw the light of day, some stuff just needs to be discovered instead of pushed on kids. Same with that silly Scream cult for such a lightweight teen shocker, same kind of violent oddball cult it gave wind to.

Give me Keaton and Nicholson any day they did it with personality and soul but this is just cold. Pfeiffer was a more likely catwoman; too with Burton's vision being true to it's comic book roots up to a point but there lies the truth. Bring the comic to life, the original essence without being overly dark, tooled up and.. Serious.

Even the Joker here was serious, tbh and ****ing demented for it. Took his own life off the back of it? It's essentially just a comic kids, no matter how much Nolan tries to remove that aspect. You marry reality with the DC vision but lean more toward bringing the comic to life for the true accomplishment not this heavy-duty ballistics militarized 'realism' I'm disgusted by this wànker batman, tbh. Seen the not serious, the semi-serious and the serious brought to life n tbh I'd rather even the kitsch tit back in the 60s. Cheers
Burton's films were nowhere near as faithful to the comics as Nolan's imo.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
21-07-2012, 18:00   #3981
ShagNastii

I'm hoping to head maybe monday or tuesday night. I'm sure it'll be great either way but was maybe thinking of Savoy screen 1, Cineworld screen 17 or my usual haunt Dundrum.

Where to go? Your two cents please.
21-07-2012, 18:04   #3982
Joeyjoejoe83

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShagNastii View Post
I'm hoping to head maybe monday or tuesday night. I'm sure it'll be great either way but was maybe thinking of Savoy screen 1, Cineworld screen 17 or my usual haunt Dundrum.

Where to go? Your two cents please.
Isense in odeon at the point village. Huge screen and great sound, but make sure and get a seat in back half of cinema, I was in fourth row and had to keep turning my head to keep up!
21-07-2012, 18:51   #3983
Turtyturd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickeroo View Post
Burton's films were nowhere near as faithful to the comics as Nolan's imo.
To be fair the comics have seen as many different interpretations as each set of films, even the Adam West TV show was faithful to the comics at some stage so I am sure Burton's matched the tone at some point.
21-07-2012, 20:53   #3984
G-Money
Closed Account

I'm thinking about going to see this on Monday morning. Any idea what the weekday morning screenings are like in Dundrum? I don't want something full of annoying babies/children/teenagers.
Advertisement
21-07-2012, 21:05   #3985
Mickeroo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtyturd View Post
To be fair the comics have seen as many different interpretations as each set of films, even the Adam West TV show was faithful to the comics at some stage so I am sure Burton's matched the tone at some point.
I love Burton's films but they don't really match the tone of the comics I've read anyway, both BB and TDK borrowed heavily from the books, taking whole scenes and plot elements from 2 of the most iconic batman graphic novels, namely Year One and the Long Halloween.

You're right, I'm sure there are comics closer to Burton's films than those ones in terms of tone, but regards the portrayel of the characters, especially Joker and Batman, Nolan's stays truer to the comic book roots by far. Joker's never really been funny in his modern guises apart from Nicholson, even the animated series managed to make him come across as a twisted monster. And it also strikes me as strange that LH Pathe said Nolan made the films too dark, Nolan's films are nowhere near as dark as many of the comics.

In fairness to LH Pathe, they have a point about it being a colder more sanitised version of Batman in many ways though.

Anyways, its killing me that I haven't gotten to see the new one yet!
22-07-2012, 02:12   #3986
paddy kerins

Right, saw this in iSense today. Gotta say I didn't really notice much of a difference between it and any other screen I've been to
22-07-2012, 02:24   #3987
Professey Chin
Swiggity Swooty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickeroo View Post
I love Burton's films but they don't really match the tone of the comics I've read anyway, both BB and TDK borrowed heavily from the books, taking whole scenes and plot elements from 2 of the most iconic batman graphic novels, namely Year One and the Long Halloween.

You're right, I'm sure there are comics closer to Burton's films than those ones in terms of tone, but regards the portrayel of the characters, especially Joker and Batman, Nolan's stays truer to the comic book roots by far. Joker's never really been funny in his modern guises apart from Nicholson, even the animated series managed to make him come across as a twisted monster. And it also strikes me as strange that LH Pathe said Nolan made the films too dark, Nolan's films are nowhere near as dark as many of the comics.

In fairness to LH Pathe, they have a point about it being a colder more sanitised version of Batman in many ways though.
Burtons partially match a tone of grimness but when it comes to the characters and overall universe they dont really. Far too much theatricality which helped make Nicholsons Joker work but have never fitted in with the overall series. The Adam West series and film show a lot of the Golden Age attitude but Nolans goes along Frank Millers route started with Year One. There will always be things like Killer Croc, Man Bat, Clayface, Banes use of Venum & the Lazarus Pits that really wouldnt fit in the universe but instead of trying to fit them in he just ignored them except for Bane but the anesthetic instead of a steroid worked well.

I really liked Nicholsons Joker. Granted he leaned towards the campy side but its such a difficult character to get. Ledgers version fitted in perfectly with Nolans universe and gets the praise it deserves but still wasnt a fully accurate rendition. Joker is a homicidal maniac but everything is still a joke as he looks at it. Everything contains a funny side to him but he doesnt understand why people dont find the same things funny. Depending what book you read it goes much deeper. It gets to a stage of him needing Batmans opposition to exist. In 1 book he believed Batman had been killed and went back to normal. House, job, wife, everything since he needed his balance

Last edited by Professey Chin; 22-07-2012 at 02:31.
27-07-2012, 15:27   #3988
quad_red

Quote:
This Nolan guy's vision is overly cold and from Bale I get the American Psycho vibe he's not a million miles from as Bruce Wayne. Cold, calculating capitalist. Yknow those who can't search beyond the mainstream are obviously easily influenced and I've seen the same such repercussions from fans of the veritable dark lady gaga of the 90's, mm. it doesn't work and now I realize give a modern pop crowd darkness they might just become it and I'm glad most of my collection never saw the light of day, some stuff just needs to be discovered instead of pushed on kids. Same with that silly Scream cult for such a lightweight teen shocker, same kind of violent oddball cult it gave wind to.

Give me Keaton and Nicholson any day they did it with personality and soul but this is just cold. Pfeiffer was a more likely catwoman; too with Burton's vision being true to it's comic book roots up to a point but there lies the truth. Bring the comic to life, the original essence without being overly dark, tooled up and.. Serious.
An interesting take on it.

Everyone to their own but I think Nolan's vision had far more real 'personality and soul' than the Burton one. Burton's films weren't really about Batman. Nolan's films were- about what drives a man to be a violent, law breaking vigilante and what the consequences of this thirst for revenge are. Both to himself and to the world.

Burton's stuff was certainly more theatrical. And Nicholson was far funnier. But he wasn't scary (to me anyway). Ledger's joker was a black abyss. He was scary. He meant it. He was a murderer.

Burton's films took the Batman myth (man dresses up in a rubber suit modeled on a feared animal and spends his life constantly, incessantly punishing those who commit crime with violence) as a given.

Nolan attempted to address it head on and by given that world context, perhaps made it darker and more serious, but also more real.
27-07-2012, 21:57   #3989
Josey Wales

Quote:
This Nolan guy's vision is overly cold and from Bale I get the American Psycho vibe he's not a million miles from as Bruce Wayne. Cold, calculating capitalist.
I couldn't disagree with this more. The Bruce Wayne in Nolan's universe doesn't seem to care about the money at all. Not your typical capitalist then. In Batman Begins he gave it all up to go and live with criminals for seven years. Then in The Dark Knight Rises he Spoiler: doesn't seem to bothered when his fortune is basically stolen from him.

The Bruce Wayne in these movies is just an act. He is just pretending to be a billionaire playboy. If anything the Bruce Wayne from Batman Forever and Batman & Robin is far more of a capitalist than the one in Nolan's films. If I remember correctly in Batman & Robin he didn't seem to bothered about helping the environmental cause.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion