Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nic Cage: Genius or Nutball?

Comments

Agree with the whore part. Off beat roles suit him imo but still he's brutal. That said, Hollywood keep casting him in a lot of big movies.

He should go back to doing some smaller films but his massive debts won't allow that. He owed something like 20 million to the IRS awhile back and has debt all over the place, so until that's cleared don't hold out much hope of him doing anything interesting.

The Wicker Man remake is a work of comic genius.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,667 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I didn't know about his debts. Makes sense though. According to this he's quite the lavish spender. At one point he owned two islands in the Bahamas, a dozen houses and over 50 cars, including the former Shah of Iran's Lamborghini which Cage bought for half a million dollars. :eek:

I didn't know about his debts. Makes sense though. According to this he's quite the lavish spender. At one point he owned two islands in the Bahamas, a dozen houses and over 50 cars, including the former Shah of Iran's Lamborghini which Cage bought for half a million dollars. :eek:

He even owned a number of castles across the world, man is one of those people who should have been taught the value of a dollar a long time ago. I'm just surprised that he isn't shattering a cell with Snipes considering how much he owes the tax man.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,949 ✭✭✭✭bnt

His financial situation is how we know he's really a meathead. On film you can look smart or stupid, but getting his money situation that wrong is on a whole 'nother level ... :o

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

I hate him so much. His voice really grates on me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭Cameron Poe

Genius

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

He was immense in Adaptation.

And he was hilarious in Bad Lieutenant, a film which I think was very underated. It's one of my favourites of the last couple of years.

And he was great in Kick Ass. He's done quite a bit of good stuff actually.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Whiskey in the Jar

personally I like him in Face/Off, 8MM and Gone in 60 seconds, but that's all. Rate a lot of actors higher than him

• Registered Users Posts: 29,956 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

I hate him so much. His voice really grates on me.

Voice can be bit annoying

think he suits some roles but he's average in a lot of films

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭LittleBook

subway wrote: »
    i think he's great, enjoy most of his films.
    this handy reference chart was produced previously, which is quite entertaining :)

sRViw.jpg

Entertaining and (IMO) pretty accurate except that I'd rate Season of the Witch higher than City of Angels. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

He's had some exotic hairstyles over the years!
    Superb array!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭ Cassidy Tall Fighter

Con-Air was a stone cold classic

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,031 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Bad Lieutenant proves he's the finest comic actor of a generation (also cements Werner Herzog as the fines comic director of a generation). Adaptation is possible his masterpiece performance, though. When he has great material to work with, he will be great. But he does take an awful lot of quick paychecks. Even pachinko ads.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,074 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

THis would have been his greatest role I have no doubt (maaaaaaybe a little NSFW, nipples here and there):

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

kraggy wrote: »
    He was immense in Adaptation.

And he was hilarious in Bad Lieutenant, a film which I think was very underated. It's one of my favourites of the last couple of years.

And he was great in Kick Ass. He's done quite a bit of good stuff actually.

Just watched this movie. It's a gem. I'm no Cage fan, but he was superb in this. He was also amazing in 'Raising Arizona'. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

I watched The Family Man a few weeks ago, with Cage in the starring role, a sort of mixture of A Christmas Carol and It's a Wonderful Life. The movie itself had plenty of pock-marks and yet I still enjoyed it immensely, and alot of it had to do with Cage. There's something about Cage's style of over-acting that can actually work, and not just in an ironic way. Don't fight the tide and most anyone will enjoy at least a smattering of his lesser lights.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Galway K9

He was good in this AD :D One sheet!
    juan-sheet.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

I could be alone in saying this but Con Air is one of my favourite films of all time. Cage is class in it. The delivery of some of his lines are brilliant. Not a bad cast either, John Malkovich, John Cusack, Colm Meaney and Steve Buscemi as one of the most fúcked up characters I've seen in a film.

He's also fantastic in Kick Ass.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Galway K9

great cast in that movie except colm meaney who i would describe as talentless git!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,334 ✭✭✭RichieC

I think he's great. his crazy is some of the best in the business. of course he was in con air too but I forgive him.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Neither, just a fairly good actor.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Galway K9 wrote: »
    great cast in that movie except colm meaney who i would describe as talentless git!

Ha but he was perfect as the annoying cúnt in it though. The scene where his car gets taken for a lift by the plane is fantastic. Never was I more delighted to see such a beautiful car destroyed.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭Kingpin187

Like others have said, he is a joy to watch in Bad Lieutenant.. nailed that part

Have to give that a watch again tonight

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭ADarkKnight88

Sums up how great he is

• Registered Users Posts: 84,341 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭jay phelan

Really like him as an actor but jaysus The Weather Man.. what was that? Anyway I shall see him on screen this Friday night for Ghost Rider 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,956 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

Galway K9 wrote: »

Cage - great, Meaney - talentless git. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭p to the e

How did someone not think if this before? 100 best Nic Cage quotes

http://filmdrunk.uproxx.com/2012/02/supercut-the-100-greatest-nic-cage-quotes

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

The Rock just started on RTE2. :cool:

Advertisement