Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dodgy Dealers

Options
  • 10-01-2011 8:21pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1

Hi guys,

Happy New Year. Basically I have been so frustrated looking for a car for the last 2 weeks. Everytime i find a car i like I am ready to bid for, I research the dealer on boards and they have really bad reviews. eg. Sarsfield motors, Airport motors (caught for clocking) and a friend told me Bill Griffin Motors were involved in something dodgy(has anyone heard this)?

I am looking at a 2008 with 60,000 miles on the clock.

Also when i asked for service history book in one of the garages they looked at the book and slammed it shut and said there was no stamps on it- that its all done digitally (alarm bells rang - i googled them and found the boards.ie bad reviews)

Are there really this many dodgy dealers out there?

If anyone has any advice for a pretty clueless first time buyer maybe anyone has a checklist of questions to ask dealers or checks to be done on the car to ensure i am not being ripped off. My main fear is clocking.

Any help much appreciated,

Thanks

Regards

Fifi

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

First off, buy privately. You may know nothing about cars but this way you can meet the owner at their home, which will tell you a lot about how the car has been cared for. When you ring about a car, ask whether they have a full service history - ie the book fully stamped, and preferably invoices. If so, ring the garage(s) who serviced the car and verify that the work was done. Only then should you arrange to view the car. If you're a halfway good judge of character and you buy privately from someone you feel has minded the car and who can demonstrate a full service history then you should be fine. For an added layer of comfort you can have a mechanic look the car over, but you'll just know when you've found the right person selling the right car. Don't be afraid to take your time, it might be a month before you find the right car.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭funnyname

• Registered Users Posts: 16 isabella_24

definatly listen to poster 2 that is some excellent advice even for 2nd and 3rd time buyers. do not use <snip>. i paid €2200 for a 2001 fiat brava and it completely broke 1 and a half months on. Now it is only worth €100 and thats for scrapping it.
    hope you find the right car for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭Mully_2011

definatly listen to poster 2 that is some excellent advice even for 2nd and 3rd time buyers. do not use <snip>. i paid €2200 for a 2001 fiat brava and it completely broke 1 and a half months on. Now it is only worth €100 and thats for scrapping it.

:eek: for a Brava thats worth about 500 quid tops did you do any homework ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

The original post was in January, so I presume the poster's bought a car by now.

Also, please don't name and shame garages. Thanks.

Zombie thread closed.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement