Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Foxes in Garden - who is responsible

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Tiffy6666 wrote: »
    Listen I have had foxes in my garden for years, and they're not evil little pests, I actually think they're quite pretty. Listen, about the attacks in the UK those are all really exaggerated. I doubt that you would be silly enough to leave your kitchen window open, especially since they've already come so close...

Well if they are 'quite pretty' why would it be silly to leave your kitchen window open?

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Tiffy6666

No the child who was attacked by a fox it was because his parents left the kitchen window open... It had nothing to do with the fact that I thought the fox was pretty hence the sentence about the attacks seperating the sentence about the fox being pretty and that of the window. Get it? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Tiffy6666 wrote: »
    No the child who was attacked by a fox it was because his parents left the kitchen window open... It had nothing to do with the fact that I thought the fox was pretty hence the sentence about the attacks seperating the sentence about the fox being pretty and that of the window. Get it? :)

Let me see if I get it, the silly parents of a young baby left a kitchen window open allowing the 'pretty fox' to enter and attack a young baby? Oh yes, now I get it it, the 'pretty fox' didn't behave like a 'pretty fox' and the parents are to blame!:(

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭Nonmonotonic

I take it you dont like foxes, then?
    I feel the same about pigeons. Wonder could I get the HSE on the case?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,222 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

can you eat urban pigeons?

• Advertisement

Mine are the rural organic variety however the neighbours might have a issue with me in the back garden with a shotgun! The downside of poisoning them is that it taints the meat. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭Traonach

Mine are the rural organic variety however the neighbours might have a issue with me in the back garden with a shotgun! The downside of poisoning them is that it taints the meat.
    The downside of poisoning is that it's illegal to poison birds in the Republic of Ireland (all species). Leaving poison out leads to non-target birds been affected.

So its the HSE then. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,520 ✭✭✭billyhead

Hi. Does anyone know if it's the HSE who you should call about foxes in the garden? My Mum has a fox that constantly visits her garden and probably is carrying diseases. Would the HSE or Council do anything or is it a waste of time contacting them? I also painted her garden wall and the fecker keeps dirtying it when he climbs it although that's a minor issue:)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,364 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

12 years later and people are still clutching their pearls about marauding disease-ridden foxes. Jesus wept.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭Lewis_Benson

Foxes won't come around where there are cats.

In fact a cat will warn off a fox if anything.

Edit:

Bah, 12 year old thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,817 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

It will continue. There will always be a ready supply of ignorant people.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,437 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,222 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

unless she's keeping chickens, is it doing any harm? foxes are all over cities, i've never heard of any issues with them passing diseases to humans.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,403 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Neither will do anything, and rightly so. There's no disease. Relax.

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭celticbhoy27

I've two cats, also have foxes that visit @night. They don't seem to bother each other

• Registered Users Posts: 28,012 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Likewise. Well it was the case, one of the kitties is sadly no longer with us and the fact that both are/were 17 meant they didn't do much marauding. Also have visiting fox. And a badger, I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Baasterd

Can't speak for your foxes but we have two cats and a resident fox family, they timeshare it seem's with the fox around between 3-5am and occasionally early in the evening. One cat has chased the fox on occasion but otherwise they co-exist, dog family after all I guess.

My main issue with the foxes are they piss and shite everywhere, they are not too bad with digging but can make a mess on occasion. I'd prefer to be rid of them but I found grey squirrels and rats to be a much greater pest. As for them catching rats maybe in the country but we have a rat just moved in a while back and I have seen the fox wander past its burrow (or is the term rat hole ha) no interest off in search of next doors pizza or whatever.

Foxes can carry some nasty parasites but I mean so can your cat or dog, you probably have more chance of picking something up rolling around the local park/pitch than your garden tbf.

Now in the country if I had hens etc I would be out lamping the feckers, they can do some serious damage there, urban foxes like urban pigeons, kernt neighbours etc just something you have get along with I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭micar

Had a fox in the back garden last week....curled up and had a little sleep.

It was so nice to see.

Had a hare hopping around sometime last year.

I have two cats, and have a fox who visits my back garden every other night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Fuascailteoir

The armed response unit of the gardai would be the best bet. Can't be too careful with the little ginger fellows

• Registered Users Posts: 18,853 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

My main issue with the foxes are they piss and shite everywhere

I hope your cars are indoor cats as outdoor cats do the same

• Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭bored_newbie

Leave out a bit of food and a wildlife camera. Enjoy watching it the next morning.

Depending on where you live, you might find you have hedgehogs, badgers, maybe a stoat too.

• Would love if foxes chose to live in my garden. Any day I see a fox is a good day. Lots in urban tallaght and we have so far avoided catching the plague off them.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,712 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

The FSE are responsible, the Fox Service Executive..

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭Mach Two

If you don't want foxes in your garden you have two choices. Eradicate them or buy/borrow an electric fence. Run a wire about a foot over the ground and connect the fence to it. Guaranteed 100% success rate using both methods.

Ah I'd say the car's are safe enough pal the cat's don't have the keys.

We used to live in a spot that had a bit of antisocial stuff going on, mixture of moped gangs, lads meeting lads in the bushes and random junkies, the house was isolated large garden backed on to common ground, woods scrub etc. Installed cctv all around the house, and caught a few lads checking the place out... had police come out, the guy was like ahhh they would love this place. You see they will come over that fence at the back, break in the patio doors and back out again no-one to see them, they don't care about cameras will cover their faces etc 😐️

So I invested in some fishing line and blank cartridges with triggers basically a gamekeeper setup, being the lazy kernt that I am I never got around to installing them and witnessing the fun and games before we moved house...my point being could be an alternative to your electric fence probably not recommended in an urban area though!

• OP are you actually serious?

Foxes were in the area for millenia before your house was built Consider moving out.

• Advertisement
Advertisement