Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Issues with Newer motorhomes and their wall mounted Gas regulators.

• 08-08-2009 9:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭

Folks , some of ye may be aware that the newer motorhomes out there all have a Wall mounted Gas regulator in the Gas locker . This is legislation across Europe , it's safer than the old bottle top mounted Reg we've had for years , in case of an accident . Now... Since their becoming common , there has been a lot of issues with these blocking , stopping flowing etc due to impurities such as oil and moisture in the Gas bottles .

I chopped up a couple of "faulty" regulators , and they were filthy inside , literally coated in golden oil . The regulators are made by Truma , who also make the heating systems in most European campers .

Truma in fairness to them , have covered most of these regulators under warranty , even though the problem stems from the Gas supplier , with Calor Kosangas being one of the worst offenders . The problem first became wideplace here and in England where Kosangas is the most popular .
    Various tweaks to try help this have been tried , raising the regulator over the top of the bottle , using a longer pipe from the bottle to the reg , and using pipes made from different materials . Calor refuse to accept responsibility you see .

Now , the crux of the issue is... Truma will NOT , I repeat NOT cover them under warranty any more . So if you need another regulator it won't be a freebie .

They have found that fitting a 90 degree elbow where the pipe meets the reg helps , I'm hoping to have a stock of them soon . And they are working on a reg with a fluid trap on it .

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Aidan_M_M

http://www.mycaravan.org.uk/Images/Gas/Regulator.jpg
    Regulator.jpg

this pic shows one in place . The unit with the yellow sticker on its side is the troublesome regulator (not all have shut-off taps fitted , some have a "bleed valve") , the unit with Duo-Comfort is a changeover unit to run two bottles , and then either side of that you can see the 90 degree elbows I previously mentioned .

Any of ye find this problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

I've got nothing that modern in my old yoke :D

But just as an aside ...how is this supposed to be safer in case of an accident?

The way I see it, the likelyhood of the the flex pipe between bottle and regulator rupturing is quite high ...and then you would have gas streaming out of the bottle at full pressure (if the valve isn't closed) ...not what you want at the scene of an accident

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭zagmund

I was going to say the same about having nothing that modern in my van. I think the gas fittings are the original ones from the time it was built in 1993. I guess I should have the gas fittings checked out.

Anyone know of capmervan service places in the Dublin/Leinster region ? I can travel further but obviously if there is somewhere near home it makes sense to use it.

z

peasant wrote: »
    I've got nothing that modern in my old yoke :D

But just as an aside ...how is this supposed to be safer in case of an accident?

The way I see it, the likelyhood of the the flex pipe between bottle and regulator rupturing is quite high ...and then you would have gas streaming out of the bottle at full pressure (if the valve isn't closed) ...not what you want at the scene of an accident

I dunno tbh , I think they're more worried about the other , solid pipes around the motorhome .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭SARZY

The very best place to go in this country to solve these problems and any other camper issues is Tristan Horan in Aglish near Borrisokane.
    A genius.

he has solved the trickiest issues for me and without him I might have abandones campers for ever

SARZY wrote: »
    The very best place to go in this country to solve these problems and any other camper issues is Tristan Horan in Aglish near Borrisokane.
    A genius.

he has solved the trickiest issues for me and without him I might have abandones campers for ever

umm , let's not get carried away there now , not sure if Genius is an accurate description . How about "fairly handy" .

Advertisement