Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Stolen Bikes Thread - Mod Note please read post #1 before posting

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,413 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Holyboy wrote: »
    I was assursed the better kryptonite locks could not be cut through with an angle grinder as they clag up the discs,so we decided to give it a go,i think it took about seven seconds!

LOL, locks don't stop people stealing your bike, they just make someone elses bike more tempting.

If it makes you feel better, 7 seconds is better than most U locks would take to get through with a decent angle grinder, in fact it seems even to long for most kryptonites.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Someone pointed out here a while ago that while an angle grinder can defeat a top-of-the-range Kryptonite, it also can cut through whatever you're locked to. So once your lock is at least as resistant to angle-grinder attack as a Sheffield stand, you've probably got an optimal lock.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 conderman

Right lads, i'm fuming now. My bike was robbed.

It's a Giant FCR4, just like this one:
    FCR%204.jpg

It's not in great nick, distinguishing features are:
    *Missing front dérailleur
    *Big mountainbike mudgaurd on it.
    *Dirty with scrapes on it.
    *A blue bottle holder
    *Ultra gatorskins front and back

I have the stamped serial number too.

Just had the same model of bike stolen from me last weekend. Am still raging, took great care of it. Over 4k on it. Used it the whole time. probably sell it for 50 quid
    I have tried all the boards and can see nothing on it – anyone have any idea where I might find it/the lovely people who “borrowed” it?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

Holyboy wrote: »
    I was assursed the better kryptonite locks could not be cut through with an angle grinder as they clag up the discs,so we decided to give it a go,i think it took about seven seconds!

To be fair there was an article in a magazine that tried it on a fageddaboudit and it took 2 discs to cut though it. Now, obviously if you have a Diamond tipped disc its going to make short work of it.
    There are tools out there designed to cut through Hardend steel, and they do the job very well, to think a lock is inpenetrable is abit naieve. However The top of the range Kryptonites IMO are the best you can get.

The fageddaboudit is around 2cm thick hardend steel, TBH you will cut it with a angle grinder but,

1)It will **** up the disc, how much are they to buy and how much is a stolen bike to sell?

2) What you have teh bike locked to isnt going to be as heavy duty as the lock.

3)There is always an easier target.

4) If they REALLY REALLY want your bike, they will get it, either by cutting the lock or pushing you off it or even following you home.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

kona wrote: »
    To be fair there was an article in a magazine that tried it on a fageddaboudit and it took 2 discs to cut though it.

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/accessories/locks/product/new-york-fahgettaboudit-mini-16565/

Might have been that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭WhisperingDeath

Commuter bike got stolen last night - broke into my shed

Trek 1000
    63cm
    Black / silver colour
    Ultegra SL groupset
    open Pro rims on Ultegra Hubs

see Pic

Don't hold out much hope of seeing it again but will monitor the usual channels.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 heatheryfield

This is a depressing thread!

2 top of range roadbikes with hi end heart rate monitors saddle bags and lights were stolen from my parked car at avoca cafe in kilmacanogue yesterday.

V distinctive bikes:
    1. Specialized Dolce Comp in White and Navy with curves top bar and mavic aksium wheels;

2. Dolan Hercules Carbon bike - white - which has distinguishing features.

Any info would be greatly appreciated. Am willing to offer a good reward.

Here's to karma.

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭coastwatch

2 top of range roadbikes with hi end heart rate monitors saddle bags and lights were stolen from my parked car at avoca cafe in kilmacanogue yesterday.

Sorry to hear that, I've often parked there with a bike on a rack and never considered the risk of theft. I'm pretty sure Avoca has CCTV on the driveway and around the car park. Have you asked them about it?

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭-K2-

I was locking my bike on Prince's St, beside the GPO off O'Connell St on Saturday afternoon and spotted a dodgy looking bloke with a rear wheel of a mountain bike in one hand and an adjustable spanner in the other. He was scoping out all the other bikes on the racks while walking towards O'Connell St.

A few minutes later I spotted a Garda and let him know what I'd seen, but the gouger was long gone at this stage.

I don't think that he was performing a mobile repair service, so make sure those wheels are locked up as well as the frame.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Peterx

My girlfriends RIDLEY PHAETON was stolen from her car outside my house in Ballyboden. It is her race bike and she is very upset. Feckers...

Ultegra Groupset, dura ace front mech.
    Fulcrum 3 wheels - one gatorskin + one ultremo tyre
    White saddle
    White bartape
    40cm handlebars
    Look Keo grey pedals

It has a piece of a wine cork on the chainstay holding a polaris cadence sensor in place and there is/was a silver pump on the downtube.
    Any info appreciated..

Peter

• Advertisement

coastwatch wrote: »

Sorry to hear that, I've often parked there with a bike on a rack and never considered the risk of theft. I'm pretty sure Avoca has CCTV on the driveway and around the car park. Have you asked them about it?

Thanks for your post. I made enquiries and CCTV was no joy. Be WARNED many CCTV cameras in carparks are dummy cameras. Be very careful leaving bikes unattended on a roofrack. Mine was locked inside the boot of a car and the feckers still managed to get it.

Thanks though!

Happy cycling!

V distinctive bikes:
    1. Specialized Dolce Comp in White and Navy with curves top bar and mavic aksium wheels;

2. Dolan Hercules Carbon bike - white - which has distinguishing features.

Any info would be greatly appreciated. Am willing to offer a good reward.

Here's to karma.

Thanks![/Quote

BIKES RECOVERED!!!!

Huge thanks to a very decent garda who found a bunch of stolen hear while on a drugs search and brought my bike to the local bike shop to have it identified!! The garda is from Ronanstown station and has restored my faith in the Gardai!!!

Huge thanks also due to the lads in Wheelworx who LOANED me a bike to keep me going for Ring of Kerry cycle this weekend when they heard my news!! They also recognised my bike and that of my friend when the Gardai contacted them, an in turn notified me.

Truly - here's to Karma! The baddies were caught with the stash!! A fortunate / (unfortunate for them) coincidence!!!

FYI I also received a private message from
    A garda in bray commiserating and suggesting I call in to Bray station to report it.

The Gardai do their best so give em a chance!!!

I'd suggest:
    1. Report your bike missing ASAP
    2. Check out the garda site which shows photos of recovered bikes! (I'm sorry I don't know the link)
    3. If you have a good relationship with your LBS or the store where you bought he bike let them know about the theft.

I'm also looking into bike tagging options and I wonder how willing bikeshops and Gardai would be to adopt the system and how widespread it might become. It seems that with he amount of newish bikes on the road since the bike-to-work scheme that our machines are easy pickings for the gougers.

My bike and that of my friend were sold on from one gouger to another for €400 apparently!!! For the two!!! The heart rate monitors alone were worth that!!

Also in case anyone wants to spread good karma and get a hacker for their replacement bike at a reasonable price, Rothar.ie migr be worth a look.

All the best!

Peterx wrote: »
    My girlfriends RIDLEY PHAETON was stolen from her car outside my house in Ballyboden. It is her race bike and she is very upset. Feckers...

White saddle
    White bartape
    40cm handlebars
    Look Keo grey pedals

It has a piece of a wine cork on the chainstay holding a polaris cadence sensor in place and there is/was a silver pump on the downtube.
    Any info appreciated..

Peter

Man that's awful! I know how gutted I was!! Mine was taken at the weekend from a car in kilmacanogue - similar MO sound like!

Check with Gardai at Ronanstown garda station who recovered my bike by a flimsy combo of luck and good following up!

Hope it shows up - sounds like a gorgeous bike!

PS see comments below

• Registered Users Posts: 2,527 ✭✭✭Vizzy

Man that's awful! I know how gutted I was!! Mine was taken at the weekend from a car in kilmacanogue - similar MO sound like!

Check with Gardai at Ronanstown garda station who recovered my bike by a flimsy combo of luck and good following up!

Hope it shows up - sounds like a gorgeous bike!

PS see comments below

Great to hear this type of story.Must say that my confidence was restored a number of years ago when my shed was cleared out-bikes,outboard motors,fishing gear.I had given up hope but fair play to the Gardai they recovered it all about a month later from a certain Mr & Mrs Reilly !
    That said we don't have the same problem as in Dublin( it must be a nightmare trying to park a bike securely in the city) with the type of theft that you have outlined and I suppose that if a thief really wants your stuff,locks,chains etc will not stop them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 flamy

Hello..

Three bikes were stolen from my back garden in Harold's Cross on Friday night.

I can't find pictures of one of them, it's a white, orange and purple Raleigh racer.

amybikd.jpg

One was similar to this, but all grey with just black outline around the word GIANT. They are fairly common bikes, I see them a lot around town. It has a lot of marking from the lock on the crossbar and the gears are rusty.

neilbike.jpg

The other is like this but with the stickers taken off and everything that's not black, spray painted in black. It has no mudguards and the gears are a bit rusty too.

ANy info would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Peterx

Peterx wrote: »

White saddle
    White bartape
    40cm handlebars
    Look Keo grey pedals

Any info appreciated..

Peter

Sorry to double post, couldn't see an edit option on the first post?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 feinbein

I had to find out this morning that my bike was stolen from the underground car park in dublin 3.
    It was my main transport to work, and I realy liked this bike.
    :mad:
    Its a red/white Kona jake, mudgards and road tires...
    Dont think there are to many in Ireland, please let me know if it pops up somewhere....

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Whitehawk

sucks man! really crappy when that happens

• Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭steve_r

Whitehawk wrote: »
    sucks man! really crappy when that happens

my sympathies. mine was stolen on Monday, but it was a two year old bike in terrible condition.

when i went to the bike shop to buy a replacement, they told me that there is a gang going around at the moment, and the guards found a van and a load of burnt bikes somewhere

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,266 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Threads merged

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 49 Haleakala

@ feinbein

Curious as to roughly where in D3 your bike was - went to my own underground spot this morning and while bike was fine, got the impression it had been moved/tampered with.

Kryptonite NY and Mini Evo and locking skewers seem to have worked thus far, but can't be too cautious.

Will keep my eyes open for the bike you describe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭CuppaCocoa

for stolen bikes. <snip> Take the slip road that says 'Balbriggan/Naul' from the motorway. Third exit at the roundabout and right turn at the sign saying 'Sunday Market'. Get there early from 7 onwards. Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Whitehawk

<snip>
    Good info to know thanks!

sorry to mod for first posting in main group.
    @Haleakala:
    bike was stolen from ashbrooks, howth road area.

cheers
    feinbein

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,158 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

for stolen bikes. <snip> Take the slip road that says 'Balbriggan/Naul' from the motorway. Third exit at the roundabout and right turn at the sign saying 'Sunday Market'. Get there early from 7 onwards. Good luck!
    No speculation over who may or may not be bike thieves

Beasty

Found a picture.......

STOLEN June 29th or 30th in DUBLIN 3

KONA JAKE CYCLOCROSS

please let me know if the bike is spotted!
    IMG_0002.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Haleakala

@fein bein

That's the spot. Very worrying. A house alarm/fire escape alarm went off at 3am this morning. Wondering is it connected?

Make sure and let estate management know, plus the cops of course.

I knew some scumbag gave my steed the once over.

Mind me asking had they much of a lock to get through?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Bikerbhoy

Hi everyone one of our club members had the misfortune to have this bike lifted from his car yesterday evening while he popped into his office around the Baggot street area. Just goes to show no matter where you may be there is always some scummer around ready to stroke your stuff

http://www.thinkbike.ie/news/11-06-29/STOLEN_BIKE_-_PLEASE_HELP.aspx

Any help or info greatly appreciated

Cheers
    Bikerbhoy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Alara

I am so sorry for everyone here as I KNOW all too well how much it sucks to lose yer bike, and in some of our cases, make that BIKES.

I ran into Aldi today on Parnell street and was pottering around for a while, my bike was locked up outside, and when I came out the lock was hanging, open, on the bike rack -and the bike gone :(

The ALdi manager told me it was most likely a gang of bike thieves called "The Liberties Gang" (?) or some such, but really, who knows?

It was a purple ladies 6 speed, can't even remember the brand (someone gifted it to me after my last bike was stolen!) and although I am sure it was not that expensive compared to some, I had it the way I like it, ya know.
    Such a bummer starting over , boo hoo.

ANyhoo: I see here that even people with top of the line locks are having them stolen---is there any lock that is thief-proof anymore???
    I looked at some gorgeous elektra cruisers after mine was snatched, but I am so afraid to buy something beautiful as I feel there is no way it won't be taken :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭miketv

Hi Alara,
    Thats a bad spot to lock your bike. I witnessed 2 guys steal a bike there (outside Pennys) It was a bad lock and took 5 seconds to steal. I followed them, they both headed up to the flats in Dominick st. I called the guards to let them know as I'm sure the owner would be calling them later once they realised their bike was stolen. This was I have to admit about7 yrs ago so seems like nothing has changed.
    Sorry to hear about your bike.

Advertisement