Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should I Go Back To College

• 23-07-2014 3:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,
    I have just completed a level 7 C# Course.
    Found the last year torture in terms of pressure and just didn't enjoy it too much.
    Could do the work fine but just wasn't very interested in it.

Would I be employable enough with my Level 7 degree or should I go back and do the extra year to get Level 8.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

tcawley29 wrote: »
    Hi Guys,
    I have just completed a level 7 C# Course.
    Found the last year torture in terms of pressure and just didn't enjoy it too much.
    Could do the work fine but just wasn't very interested in it.

Would I be employable enough with my Level 7 degree or should I go back and do the extra year to get Level 8.

Thanks

If you don't enjoy the experience then you have to ask yourself will you complete the year if you go to L8?

Also you might be better off spending the term working on personal projects to expand your CV. Any potential employer would probably respect the personal projects a bit more than an extra year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭tcawley29

If you don't enjoy the experience then you have to ask yourself will you complete the year if you go to L8?

Also you might be better off spending the term working on personal projects to expand your CV. Any potential employer would probably respect the personal projects a bit more than an extra year.

I would complete it if I went for it, just don't really want to.
    Mainly writing to see if any employers come across this and can comment as to how desirable a Level 7 would be to a Level 8.
    To be honest I've learned more in three months of placement than 3 years of college.

Yeah I figured something like that might be good alright.
    I was in a meeting today and was told that they would happily provide me with written recommendations if I wanted, from hr and my team lead.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

Do you want to go for jobs as a computer programmer even though you don't like it?

I LOVE the job and it's still quite often a massive pain in the arse. Why put yourself through that?

Do you want to go for jobs as a computer programmer even though you don't like it?

I LOVE the job and it's still quite often a massive pain in the arse. Why put yourself through that?

I actually enjoy the job, just hate the course.

What annoys me about the course is irrelevant modules that I will not need.

I can safely enjoyed every single day I have been working on placement and looked forward to coming in everyday

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Digital Society

Maybe your just polarizing it a bit. Id just complete it if i was you. Youll work till your probably 70 or 80 and whats another year.

Probably some crappy, boring lecturer ruining the experience for you.

• Advertisement

Maybe your just polarizing it a bit. Id just complete it if i was you. Youll work till your probably 70 or 80 and whats another year.

Probably some crappy, boring lecturer ruining the experience for you.

Nail on the head right there.

Decided last night I was gonna go back as the company I work with will pay for me to continue right up to masters :)

Cheers guys :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭tenifan

I did a level 7 h.dip in computers.. my GOD i wouldn't recommend it to my worst enemy. Not enough programming, ridiculous irrelevant lectures, terrible students who didn't know their arse from their elbow and had no interest in computers.. and a truly incompetent lecturer who taught us two important theory subjects (business analysis and project management) despite having no experience or understanding of what she was teaching whatsoever. She attempted to bluff her way through it.
    The standard was appalling. Only one lecturer was any exceptional (for spreadsheet development and VBA), another (for Java and business enterprise computing) was quite good.. and the software testing lecturer wasn't too bad but seemed a bit weary and kept the learning to a minimum... apart from those 3-4 modules it was largely a waste of a year.. so much effort and so little achieved. There is no way in hell I'd do an extra year for a level 8 or even a level 20.

I got the course for free on springboard. If I paid €4000 for it, I'd have cried. I reckon there has to be some practical, professionally taught courses out there that are geared towards finding employment and gaining actual skills rather than just a piece of paper at the end of it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Roquentin

tenifan wrote: »
    I did a level 7 h.dip in computers.. my GOD i wouldn't recommend it to my worst enemy. Not enough programming, ridiculous irrelevant lectures, terrible students who didn't know their arse from their elbow and had no interest in computers.. and a truly incompetent lecturer who taught us two important theory subjects (business analysis and project management) despite having no experience or understanding of what she was teaching whatsoever. She attempted to bluff her way through it.
    The standard was appalling. Only one lecturer was any exceptional (for spreadsheet development and VBA), another (for Java and business enterprise computing) was quite good.. and the software testing lecturer wasn't too bad but seemed a bit weary and kept the learning to a minimum... apart from those 3-4 modules it was largely a waste of a year.. so much effort and so little achieved. There is no way in hell I'd do an extra year for a level 8 or even a level 20.

I got the course for free on springboard. If I paid €4000 for it, I'd have cried. I reckon there has to be some practical, professionally taught courses out there that are geared towards finding employment and gaining actual skills rather than just a piece of paper at the end of it.

this is my general take on some courses in unis. Too many lectures and not enough hands on. I think lectures take the easy way out by putting notes on the board. A lot of them as well get the post grads to give the practicals because they are much tougher to work in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭ChRoMe

tcawley29 wrote:
    What annoys me about the course is irrelevant modules that I will not need.

curious how you say that with no experience.

ChRoMe wrote: »
    curious how you say that with no experience.

Nah, I'd agree with the op. those module really are just awful. You know it's theory and waffle just for the sake of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭ChRoMe

tenifan wrote:
    Nah, I'd agree with the op. those module really are just awful. You know it's theory and waffle just for the sake of it.

can you give examples

can you give examples

Professional development would be an example.
    Was a manditory module which should be optional in my opinion.
    It was based on writing cvs and preparing for job interviews, two things which I was already good at.
    The lecturer slated me for my own cv layout and said if she was an employer shed rip it up in my face.
    Any company I've handed it into has told me my layout was great and they wouldnt change a thing about it.
    I done one using her layout and asked my manager in the shop where I worked at the time to compare them without telling her which was which.
    She said mine was better.
    I then used my one for placement and she went mental telling me I would never get placed anywhere with a cv like that.
    I was one of the first few people to get placed in my first week with plenty of offers also.

/rantover

can you give examples

Entrepreneurship..followed by a model of Intrapreneurship. And another module called "Innovation"..
    Pure drudge.
    "What is an entrepreneur".. "no, it's not about starting your own business. it's about passion. it's about innovation. it's a deeply creative person who is inspired..." horrendous stuff.

Advertisement