Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Resources Links

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

http://health.discovery.com/centers/sex/sexpedia/homosexuality.html

the course of the 20th century has generally referred to sexual acts between individuals of the same sex. There has been and continues to be a common belief that individuals are either homosexual or heterosexual, both in terms of their sexual orientation and behavior.

In reality, many individuals engage in a wide spectrum of sexual behaviors at any given stage in their lives or over the course of their lives. While there are individuals who at any given point in time may engage in exclusively other-sex or same-sex sexual behaviors, others may exhibit a pattern of "bisexuality" that involves varying degrees of both other-sex or same-sex behavior.

Furthermore, an individual who at one point in his or her lifetime engages exclusively or primarily in other-sex behavior may opt to engage exclusively or primarily in same-sex behavior, or vice versa at a later point in time.

The Famous Kinsey Studies
    In his now classic studies on male and female sexuality in U.S. society, published respectively in 1948 and 1953, Alfred C. Kinsey, a prominent pioneer in sexual research, argued that humans cannot be easily put into invented categories such as "heterosexual" and "homosexual."

Somewhat later, Michel Foucault, a prominent French philosopher and psychologist, argued that the category "homosexual" is a social construct that is only a little over 100 years old.

Indeed, not until 1926 was the term first seen in print, in the New York Times. Foucalt asserted that the practice of sodomy became transformed into an explicit social category referred to as homosexuality. This term has been interpreted in a wide variety of ways, ranging from a form of psychodynamic pathology to an alternative sexual lifestyle engaged in by sensitive and enlightened individuals who often refer to themselves as gays or lesbians.

No Homosexuality in Ancient Greece
    According to this social constructivist perspective, homosexuality per se did not exist in ancient Greece or various other indigenous societies in which same-sex behaviors of one sort or another reportedly occurred.

Indeed, the ancient Greeks did not even have an equivalent for the terms "homosexual" or "heterosexual," although same-sex sexual behavior was not only practiced but extolled. At any rate, same-sex behaviors include oral-genital intercourse, anal intercourse, insertion of dildoes, mutual masturbation, hugging, kissing, stroking, and various other activities. To a large extent, same-sex oriented people engage in many of the same forms of sexuality as do other-sex oriented people.

Until recently, most theorists and therapists tended to view homosexuality as a deviant or aberrant form of behavior—a view still widely held by the general public and by certain religious groups.

Cross-cultural evidence demonstrates that same-sex behavior in many societies may be regarded as different but not morally defective or psychologically abnormal.

Socially-Institutionalized Homosexuality
    Indeed, various indigenous groups, such as the Sambia on the island of New Guinea, actually have a form of socially-institutionalized and approved form of homosexuality in which adolescent males engage in same-sex acts, such as fellatio, before marrying a woman and rearing a family. Some males may choose to restrict their behavior to same-sex acts after adolescence and some married males may occasionally engage in same-sex acts.

By contrast, Western psychology and psychiatry, at least until relatively recently, have tended to regard same-sex behavior as abnormal and the product of inappropriate gender socialization.

Although Freud argued that humans are born with a bisexual nature which in time becomes mediated by culture, the American Psychiatric Association up until 1973 had designated homosexuality as a pathological form of behavior. The Association lifted its claim that homosexuality is abnormal in 1974, and now maintains that there is no scientific evidence that demonstrates the effectiveness of any therapies that attempt to transform homosexuals into heterosexuals.

In 1994, the American Medical Association, a traditionally conservative organization, called for "a non-judgmental recognition of sexual orientation by physicians."

Causes of Same-Sex Orientation Controversial

While the evidence still remains highly tentative, there is cause to believe that some individuals exhibit a greater biopsychological predisposition to engage in same-sex acts than others.

A team of National Cancer Institute researchers in a study of over 100 homosexual men found that many of their uncles and male cousins were also homosexual, suggesting an hereditary factor. In its comparison of the DNA of 40 pairs of same-sex oriented brothers, it was learned that almost all shared genetic markers in the Xq28 region of the X chromosome. Research on the DNA of 36 lesbian sisters did not reveal a corresponding pattern.

People who prefer to engage in same-sex behavior vary widely in terms of their lifestyles. While many continue to remain circumspect and even secretive about their sexual orientation for a variety of reasons, others have chosen to "come out of the closet" and participate in the gay and lesbian subcultures which have become more visible and politically active both domestically and internationally.

A Maturation Process
    Despite a growing understanding of the nature of homosexuality, myths about people who prefer to engage in same-sex behavior continue to abound. Contrary to the common belief that homosexuals tend to recruit children and unsuspecting adults into same-sex behavior, homosexuals, like heterosexuals, discover their sexuality as a process of maturation.

The vast majority of individuals who engage in same-sex behavior are reared in heterosexual homes. Due to the pervasive patterns of homophobia or anti-homosexual sentiments and behaviors that exist in the larger society, many same-sex oriented individuals experience considerable psychic ambivalence and even distress in the process of coming to terms with their sexuality.

Teens exhibiting a same-sex orientation are reportedly three times more likely than their other-sex oriented peers to attempt suicide. Homophobia also causes a high level of violence and discrimination targeted at gays and lesbians, and disproportionate rates of alcoholism and other substance abuse among gays and lesbians. Contrary to popular stereotypes, few homosexuals in the U.S. can be characterized as assuming only a masculine or only a feminine role in sex.

Research suggests that homosexual behavior tends to fall into the following three categories in terms of frequency:

* oral-genital acts, hugging, and kissing
    * anal sex
    * alternative acts such as "fisting" (in which a hand, but not in the form of a fist, is inserted into the partner's rectum).

Although homosexuality is often popularly associated with transvestitism or cross-dressing, heterosexual cross-dressers appear to be about as common as homosexual cross-dressers. Furthermore, homosexual men do not appear to be any more prone to pedophilia (sexual attraction to children) than do heterosexual men.

Various surveys indicate that homosexuals have more partners over the course of their lifetimes than do heterosexual or "straight" individuals. Nonetheless, many homosexuals form long-term, monogamous relationships.

Indeed, the AIDS epidemic has prompted many homosexuals to choose a lifestyle emphasizing an exclusive sexual relationship with a single partner rather than one emphasizing multiple-partner relationships.

Female Homosexuality
    Cross-culturally, women appear to participate in same-sex relationships less often than men. Same-sex relations among women, however, tend to be more acceptable in certain indigenous communities and Third World countries.

In some African communities, prosperous trader women may choose to marry women and even establish families with them by having a son or trusted male employee impregnate their wives.

In India, some homosexual women have a socially approved role as devotees of certain Hindu or Sikh goddesses.

Despite the existence of female homosexuality in all societies both today and in the past, women who engage in same-sex practices have tended to be ignored in Western historical studies. The recent renaissance of gay and lesbian studies has played an important role in changing awareness of homosexuality.

Copyright 2002 Sinclair Intimacy Institute

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

http://www.ihrc.ie/ - Irish Human Rights Commission

http://www.odei.ie/ - Office of the Director of Equality Investigations

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Hey all,,

I'm a regular poster on Boards, but I've yet to come out.

I go on a site called Gay Youth Uk. It's for Gays, Lesbians, Bisexuals, Transgendered and confused people inder 25 STRICTLY!

I've found this site very helpful with tips on how to come out, make new friends, and there's a message boards there purely dedicated to all aspects of gay life!

http://www.gayyouthuk.org.uk/

• Registered Users Posts: 40,537 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Dublin based youth group:

http://www.belongto.org/

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 Health Project

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭Yoda

A rather nice personals site not devoted to shagging: www.outeverywhere.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 teddy

UCD LGBT have a new website.

http://www.ucd.ie/gay

It's worth a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,853 ✭✭✭✭Stark

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 sidhbhra

www.alternativeparents.com

This is both a factual and humanistic information site for Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual or Transgendered couples/singles in Ireland who are planning/have had children though AI,SI,IVF or from a heterosexual relationship. We will keep you updated on the changing face of Ireland, its view of "family" and the reality. We aim to raise awareness and act as a fulcrum in this new era of procreational freedom and it is the first of its kind in Ireland. The API mailing list is accessible from the home page.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,978 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Some links provided for transvestite support groups:

Meeting Groups: Gemini (on Thursdays)
    Trannieheaven on Saturdays.

Some Yahoo support groups:
    Finally, a link to an international site dealing with the matter:
    www.urnotalone.com

• Advertisement

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 La Quoi

[url]Http://Www.GayWaterford.com[/url]

[url]Http://Www.GayWaterford.com/forum[/url]

Brand new website plus more features to come

GayWaterford - For all thats out in the South........:)

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Proud Mary 1980

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 gmhp

Gay men's Health Service
    http://www.gaymenshealthservice.ie

Gay Health Network website has translations of all it's leaflets into 9 languages as well as reports and it's newsletter to download.
    http://www.ghn.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭lushballs

New Dublin LGBTQ Womens Social Networking Club starting up.

Link
    http://www.meetup.com/Dublin-LGBTQ-Womens-Social-Networking-Club/

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭AvaKinder

You are right in saying that the chance of one woman passing HIV to another during sex is low, however low risk is not no risk.

With regards to other STI's such a chlamydia, syphillis (apologies for my bogey spelling), HPV, etc. they can all be passed from woman to woman. There is not one STI which cannot be passed between women.

Try some of these links

http://www.avert.org/lesbians-safe-sex.htm
    http://lesbianlife.about.com/cs/sex/a/safersex.htm
    http://std.about.com/od/stdsspecificcommunities/a/lesbiansafesex.htm
    http://www.autostraddle.com/safe-sex-for-lesbians-45382/

It's also highly important for women who have sex with women to get regular smear tests, and as such DLL have recently launched a 'Smears for Queers' campaign.

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Dublin-Lesbian-Line/92064908925

Pleased be aware that it is nigh on impoosible to buy dental dams which are hygienic or in date in Ireland.

Cutting up a condom or latex glove for use as a dam would be the most common substitute AFAIK.

I recently did some basic safe sex training so if you have more specific questions fire away.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭TylerIE

General Support for those affected by issues surrounding their sexuality

Young People / Parents:

BeLonG To is an organisation for Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgendered (LGBT) young people, aged between 14 and 23. They provide direct youth work services to LGBT young people in Dublin and support LGBT youth groups all around the country. They offer groups and their Youth Workers are often happy to meet with individuals to discuss issues and advise on sources of support. 01 670 6223 Monday - Friday 10am - 6pm

Loving Our Out Kids / Parents Support (For Parents / family of those who identify as LGBT) - 087 2537699 or through the Dublin Gay Switchboard (above)

GLBT Men or Women:

HELPLINES
    Gay Switchboard Dublin provides a listening, support and referral service for lesbians, gay men, bisexual & trans people, and anyone who needs to discuss issues relating to sexuality.
    Telephone 01 872 1055 from 7 - 9pm Monday to Friday.

Cork Gay Information - Tuesday and Wednesday 7-9pm - 021 427 1087

Dundalk Outcomers - Thursdays 8 - 10pm - 042 935 3035

OutWest Helpline
    - Wednesday 8 - 10pm - 094 937 2479

Womens Helplines:

Belfast Lesbian Line every Thursday between 7.30 and 10pm
    (028) 902 38668, or from the South 048 902 38668

Dublin Lesbian Line Mondays & Thursdays 7pm - 9pm (01) 872 9911

Limerick Lesbian Line Tuesdays from 7.30pm to 9.30 pm (061) 310 101,

Mens Services:

The Gay Men's Health Service (GMHS) provides STI clinical, outreach and counselling services for gay and bisexual men, and other men who have sex with men. The service provides sexual health promotion, education and advice on the prevention of diseases like HIV, Hepatitis and sexually transmitted infections, STIs. It also provides Training, Research and acts as a Reference centre in relation to gay health issues and other LGBT issues. They offer free counselling for men who have issues with regards to sexuality and can be contacted on 01 8734952 or gmhpoutreach@eircom.net - The counselling service has a bit of a waiting list (a few weeks). They also can recommend Gay Friendly GP's if you are uncomfortable discussing issues of sexuality with your own.

Transgender Equality Network

TENI The Transgender Equality Network Ireland - Monday - Friday 10.00am - 6.00pm - 01 6334687

Mental Health / Suicide / Depression:
    1Life
    1life is a dedicated 24 hour freephone
    national suicide prevention helpline.

FREEPHONE
    1800 24 7 100

or Text

HELP
    to 51444
    (standard text rates)

Website - www.1life.ie

They can also be of immense support if you are in the position of dealing with or caring with a friend who has attempted to take their own life.

-

Aware: Helping to Defeat Depression

Helpline is available seven days a week (Mon-Wed: 10am-10pm; Thurs-Sun 10am-1am) on 1890 303 302

or email support on wecanhelp@aware.ie

-

The Samaritans:

Confidential Listening Service
    24 Hours a day, 7 days a week
    Telephone 1850 60 90 90 or from Northern Ireland 08457 90 90 90
    e-mail: jo@samaritans.org

• Advertisement

Dublin Lesbian Line is also open on Mondays from 7pm until 9pm:)

Here is the Safe Sex card that DLL were passing out at Dyke Night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭Freiheit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 L.inC

www.linc.ie

email us at info@linc.ie or call on 021-4808600

Lesbian Line Cork is a volunteer helpline for women of all ages.
    We provide confidential, free, informal information and support regarding sexual orientation.
    The Line operates on Mondays from 8pm to 10pm. Ph. 021-4318318

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭CdeC

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Louisevb

The Gemini Club is Friday night NOT Thursday.
    The largest, longest going, and most active Yahoo group is
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/irishtrannie]irishtrannie

The transgender support site linked to the above is
    http://www.tranniehaven.com

ixoy wrote: »
    Some links provided for transvestite support groups:

Meeting Groups: Gemini (on Thursdays)
    Trannieheaven on Saturdays.

Some Yahoo support groups:
    Finally, a link to an international site dealing with the matter:
    www.urnotalone.com

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Louisevb

See below DP

• Registered Users Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭m'lady

Hey all. I am just wondering are their any websites aimed at children who has a parent that is gay?
    Thanks in advance..

• Advertisement

m'lady wrote: »
    Hey all. I am just wondering are their any websites aimed at children who has a parent that is gay?
    Thanks in advance..
    Young children or older?

Terry Pratchet

Advertisement