Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Canada: Immigration Advice

1789101113»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3 theboxer90801

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,863 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Thinking about applying for the IEC 2 year visa and was going to go through USIT.ie , are they the best to go through or can you do it another way

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭media101

Thinking about applying for the IEC 2 year visa and was going to go through USIT.ie , are they the best to go through or can you do it another way

no way stay clear of usit!! u can do it ur self! or just follow this blog http://irishalien.com/2012/12/28/moving-to-canada-a-step-by-step-guide/

I have my LOI from last round of IEC applications (it'll expire June 2012) and applied and filled out the forms myself, I would recommend anyone to do what I did rather than go through USIT to be honest. The questions are straight forward enough and all you have to do is answer them honestly and send the forms off on time.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

Sacramento wrote: »
    I have my LOI from last round of IEC applications (it'll expire June 2012) and applied and filled out the forms myself, I would recommend anyone to do what I did rather than go through USIT to be honest. The questions are straight forward enough and all you have to do is answer them honestly and send the forms off on time.

Um Sac hunny, do you mean 2013?!?!?!

• Advertisement

Ah, nice spot. I did indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭diarmo111

Looking to going to canada asap while im young :P what are the forms and rocedures you need to go threw and also how long does it take? Im a qualified bar manager and have worked in the industry for almost 4 years is this any good!? Thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,241 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Similar to above except that I'm a designer, getting the Garda Cert tonight in the local station, and am following that blog that was posted up.

I have heard that the visas are out soon, getting to crunch time!

• Registered Users Posts: 10 rungirl

hi, could you please tell me what visa options i have?? im 32 lifeguard, my husband 36 a truck driver. we both have work experience in bars aswell. we have a 4yr old son.
    we want to go to ontario where my husbands Aunt lives with her husband and daughter. they have been there 20 years and are all canadian citizens.

thank you for reading this

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Sophbee

Hi,

I'm a 24 year old British female and would like to apply for the iec visa.

I have a DUI on my criminal record from October 2007. I was banned for 18months and took a drink driving awareness course to reduce it to 12months.

Am I still eligible for an IEC Visa or will it just be rejected?

I have been to university and have a degree and live an honest lifestyle.

I've been to Canada twice to do ski seasons, from November 2011 - April 2012 and November 2012 - April 2013. My boyfriend is also Canadian.

What are my best options?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 bigbobsbeepers

hi can anybody pleeeease help me, i have recently being offered a job opportunity to canada saskatchewan my work permit and lmo is all being organised for me but i have a few questions that i cant seem to find definite answers too... will my partner be put on my work permit or will she be put on her own permit?? can she begin working on arrival?? now the big issue we have is we have found out recently that she is 7-8 weeks pregnant!!! :O will this effect our work permits or lmo?? and something she is very worried about is that we will only have one income coming in will she be able to claim maternity benefits when in canada?? she is not coming with me she will be following over she wont encounter any problems upon arrival to canada will she?? please any help will be much appreciated thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Mrs McSweeney

I'm not sure if I can help you much bigbob but here's what I think....
    If you are going over on an SINP then your partner may possibly go as your common law wife but you need to sign a specific form with a solicitor/commissioner for oaths. We did this. This enables me (female!) to travel with my partner, or to travel over to him separately but on his SINP (for which he is given a work visa at immigration and then I am given my own work visa when I go through immigration myself). While he is tied to the specific job that the SINP refers to, I will actually be free to work for anyone within the province, as soon as I like. This means that I personally don't need to "qualify" under any other particular criteria to be allowed enter the country.
    We will in due course apply for PR (permanent residency) & then the work restrictions will be removed & things will operate similarly to if we were citizens.

Re getting maternity benefits in terms of finances, then I've no idea but I imagine that there would be nothing available for a newly-arrived immigrant who hasn't been employed/paying tax (same as it is in Ireland). So it looks like she would be living off your wages but you may get an increased tax credit? (I've no idea how that all works though so don't go by my guesswork!).

If you are going on a different type of application/Visa then I'm not sure if the same applies.

Regarding the pregnancy I have no idea how that may effect you both, but I imagine that it would be best if she gets over there asap so if there's a waiting period before she is eligible for maternity care then you have a chance of passing that waiting period early enough. In Saskatchewan for example there is a 3 month wait before you get the largely-free medical care they offer (free for a lot of things, though not prescriptions, but which I understand is of excellent quality). I think there is no waiting period in Alberta, but I'm not sure if the services are similar to Saskatchewan.

There is a very thorough medical required when applying for PR but prior to that I don't think you would necessarily need to do a medical, though I'm not certain of this.

You should both take out travel insurance that will cover any medical requirements until such time as your provincial health benefits apply, but there may be limitations on the policy regarding maternity care. You DEFINITELY don't want to end up needing hospital care where it's not covered by any policy/entitlement, as the bills will be gigantic.

Best of luck with it all!

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭bstar

hi can anybody pleeeease help me, i have recently being offered a job opportunity to canada saskatchewan my work permit and lmo is all being organised for me but i have a few questions that i cant seem to find definite answers too... will my partner be put on my work permit or will she be put on her own permit?? can she begin working on arrival?? now the big issue we have is we have found out recently that she is 7-8 weeks pregnant!!! :O will this effect our work permits or lmo?? and something she is very worried about is that we will only have one income coming in will she be able to claim maternity benefits when in canada?? she is not coming with me she will be following over she wont encounter any problems upon arrival to canada will she?? please any help will be much appreciated thank you

On an LMO depending on your job(it has to be above a certain skill level) your partner will get an open work permit so she can work for anyone, and can start looking for work the second she arrives if she wants to.

The pregnancy will not affect the permits or LMO in anyway. To be eligible for maternity benefits she would have to work a min of 16weeks at 40hrs a week to qualify. which would be possible if you go soon and she gets a job as soon as she lands. Maternity benefit is 55% of your salary for 50 weeks.

Will your job include health benefits? Register for the sask health the second you arrive. it kicks in on the 1st day of your 3rd month. She will want to go to a walk in clinic and get referred to a gyn/ob as that appointment will take a few weeks. the birth and prenatal care are all free. Depending on the hospital she will have to pay a fee for the few nights she stayed. I paid $45 for 2 nights in a semi private room when I had my daughter. The baby will get Canadian citizenship by birth.

If you are common law, she will need a copy of your lmo and job offer, and anything you have in joint names for the airport. (lease bank accounts etc)

On child benefit etc and the tax credits you wont qualify until you have been here 18 months so dont factor into your decision.
    There is a very thorough medical required when applying for PR but prior to that I don't think you would necessarily need to do a medical, though I'm not certain of this.

You can't do the medical for PR when pregnant so it would be delayed until after she has the baby if they are applying for PR.

If you have any other questions you can PM me, we had our daughter here on an LMO last year so we've been through it.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭pilgrim pat

Hi i have been looking for a job in Alberta i need a job ofer and a lmo i have been in touch with an agencie from Canada who wants $500 to show my resume to an employer i know this is against the law i havent paid them anything but who else have they taken money from how can i stop them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 thenomad

Hello there ..

I have a DUI conviction and I have submitted my application.. I am just wondering what is the time period I am looking at for a response .. and what is the probability of an Yes given I finished my sentence which was a suspension of my licence about 9 years back ..

• Registered Users Posts: 2 thenomad

Hello there
    I know this post is a bit old . But was really helpful to me. So thanks for that. I have a question on the time period. how long it will take for the department to respond on my IEC visa as I have a DUI offence ? and what is chance of getting a positive response given the sentence was completed 9 years back ..

• Registered Users Posts: 5 jugglenet

Ok I have to run out now but will look back through this thread when I get back home. In the meantime can someone advise me please? I'm hoping to make the move to Canada through LMO (Labour Market Opinion).

I am going to be 36 in November and am looking for work in Web / SEO / Graphic Design. I am guessing it's gonna be difficult to find work in this?

Anybody have any success stories?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

jugglenet wrote: »
    Ok I have to run out now but will look back through this thread when I get back home. In the meantime can someone advise me please? I'm hoping to make the move to Canada through LMO (Labour Market Opinion).

I am going to be 36 in November and am looking for work in Web / SEO / Graphic Design. I am guessing it's gonna be difficult to find work in this?

Anybody have any success stories?

Similar story to yourself. I am 37, and just curious as to options as well. I'll be graduating from a masters soon and keeping options open. (in journalism)

I have been working in online marketing since 2007, speak French, and also worked as a technical writer once upon a time.

I did spot this: 1123 - Professional occupations in advertising, marketing and public relations

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/apply-who-instructions.asp?expand=jobs#jobs

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Chrissie key

Hi. I Have been reading all through these Q/A but it seems Like I can't find my answer.. I have ran out of my working visa's because of my age and I have applied for my semi-skilled PNP in June of 2014 and estimated time was originally 5-6 months thinking I would get it before my last working visa had expired. I am now on an implied status which will give me 70 days, and estimated processing times for PNP are now 8-9 months, so my question is what form should I go for when my implied status is rejected and my PNP reply hasn't come through yet. I am being sponsored by the company I work for but doing this all myself and is on my mind constantly. Help would be greatly apriciated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jaymcg91

Hi. I Have been reading all through these Q/A but it seems Like I can't find my answer.. I have ran out of my working visa's because of my age and I have applied for my semi-skilled PNP in June of 2014 and estimated time was originally 5-6 months thinking I would get it before my last working visa had expired. I am now on an implied status which will give me 70 days, and estimated processing times for PNP are now 8-9 months, so my question is what form should I go for when my implied status is rejected and my PNP reply hasn't come through yet. I am being sponsored by the company I work for but doing this all myself and is on my mind constantly. Help would be greatly apriciated.

That sounds very specific, and you'd probably be better seeking a consultation with an immigration lawyer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 margaret888

I came across this post as I am looking for a job in Canada and visited the job site links. However, correct me if I am wrong but I don't think these sites actually have jobs open non-Canadians. Any suggestions where I can find jobs for international candidates?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Cayden Richards

As you have said it yourself, it’s very tricky these things and even the sharpest mind might get into trouble without prior idea or experience. I never do things like these on my own and always hesitant to advice much due to the seriousness of it. I rather answer it in short for you to go with expert help and I like ESTA, as they are well organized, so that’s why we get all our answers and issues dealt with ease there…. Give it a go here - estapermits.org/

• Registered Users Posts: 1 AmsNevs

Hi, I'm not sure if this would be your area but I need advise on the following.
    Myself and my boyfriend have applied for IEC visas for Canada.
    My boyfriend was rejected on the basis that he was previously granted an IEC visa in 2013, although he never activated this, i.e. he never entered Canada.
    We have been advised by USIT that if we submit an application with a letter explaining the reasons as to why he didn't activate the visa, that sometimes the immigration offer will grant another.
    We therefore need help on writing this letter to increase or chances of being accepted. Can you let me know if this would be something you can help on? Or if you could point me in the right direction?
    Many thanks in advance!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 carpediem_ie

hi, i was hoping someone can give me some advice on visas. I'm 37 years old and married. My wife isnt an eu citizen. so looking to see what options are available for us. As im 37 i dont qualify for the 2year visa. I work as a social/support worker, so wondering if anyone could advice? many thanks

Advertisement