Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Migraines

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Xenji wrote: »
    I have always found drinking coffee helps me when I have a migraine, chocolate on the other hand is the worst thing to have .

warding off a migraine today and eating chocolate as it eases the nausea.

aa well as strong coffee. i use dramamine a friend brings in from the us for me.

anything to avoid the throwing up...

trigger the same as when i did four days craft fairs in a row but this time it was long distance hospital attendance re the broken wrist.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Over the last couple of weeks I've been reminded of one of the factors/triggers of my migraines. Because I don't get them often I'd forgotten that I get built up tension in my shoulders/neck, and along with tiredness it seems to be a major trigger for me. The neck pain only seems to become noticeable after I've had the migraine.

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Over the last couple of weeks I've been reminded of one of the factors/triggers of my migraines. Because I don't get them often I'd forgotten that I get built up tension in my shoulders/neck and along with tiredness it seems to be a major trigger for me. The neck pain only seems to become noticeable after I've had the migraine.

as i get older it is overdoing because i am older, and have m.e. that does it and often as now when things are easier. your neck pain will be the result not the trigger.

• Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭Gambas

cnocbui wrote: »
    As someone who suffered regular migraines for decades, I am quite certain there was certainly no negative link between caffeine and migraines. Caffeine is a key ingredient in many migraine medications:

http://migraine.com/migraine-treatment/natural-remedies/caffeine/

Caffeine is actually beneficial because it causes blood vessels in the brain to constrict, which is exactly what you want to counter a migraine.

I think the problem is the caffeine dependency. Coffee doesn't give me a migraine, it is the caffeine withdrawl that triggers the migraine. This would tally with what you say regarding the blood vessels.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭Zil2011

I get hormonal related migraines. Last 2-3 days at least once a month. Doc prescribed Migard for them, I found the smell of deep heat actually helps to ease the symptoms, weird I know! I have a spray bottle of deep heat in my handbag and another beside my bed just in case!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Munstermad

My daughter is on her 4th migraine this month, this time last year her migraines went completely out of control, apart from the hormonal related maigraines, do any sufferers find certain times of year worse... i.e. months, seasons etc... I'm just trying to see if there is any reason why April seems to be a significant month or is it purely coincidental? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Its been awhile since I can remember having my last migraine, but I have had migraines without the headaches.

Last night in the middle of a 5aside my eyesight started to go. I had loads of blindspots, poor peripheral vision and it gets difficult to focus (the football and players kept disappearing!). usually a headache ensues after, but I stayed playing cause I hate leaving the team a player down.

I noticed that I was exhausted during the game (unusually low fitness).

In hindsight I noticed some what I at least think are some of the symptoms had been there for a few days previous (numb arm - anxiety, bit nauseous).

I am not sure exactly what the cause is but haven't been sleeping great recently (new baby) and have been under a lot of pressure.

I felt ok this morning, but in the last 2 hours have started to feel off again. I had a fry at lunch (not sure if that's the cause). I have one strong cup of coffee a day (in the morning) and while I usually drink decaff tea I had a caffeinated one around 11. Then a club orange (think there is caffeine in that) at 2. I am trying to get some work done now but just feel sick and exhausted. Also getting small blind spots from time to time when trying to focus . .

Couldn't get a dr appointment today so will try Neurofen (somebody on this thread said it is good for them!) as I took some solpadol that doesn't seem to help much!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Ibuprofen is actually better than paracetamol when it comes to migraines, most migraine pain is down to inflamed blood vessels which Ibuprofen is best at counteracting, well over the counter anyway, I find Buplex is the best to take and diclofenacs such as Difene work quite well too but are quite harsh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

Ibuprofen is actually better than paracetamol when it comes to migraines, most migraine pain is down to inflamed blood vessels which Ibuprofen is best at counteracting, well over the counter anyway, I find Buplex is the best to take and diclofenacs such as Difene work quite well too but are quite harsh.

I cant take ibuprofen :(

Munstermad wrote: »
    My daughter is on her 4th migraine this month, this time last year her migraines went completely out of control, apart from the hormonal related maigraines, do any sufferers find certain times of year worse... i.e. months, seasons etc... I'm just trying to see if there is any reason why April seems to be a significant month or is it purely coincidental? Thanks

could be eg pollens adding sinus problems. my hay fever has been very bad this year. pain and stress in the same areas.

• Advertisement

Graces7 wrote: »
    could be eg pollens adding sinus problems. my hay fever has been very bad this year. pain and stress in the same areas.

+1
    My sinuses have been in revolt for the past 3 or 4 weeks. I'm rinsing more often, helps a lot.

+1
    My sinuses have been in revolt for the past 3 or 4 weeks. I'm rinsing more often, helps a lot.

thanks; met a few folk thought they had colds or flu. getting bad neuralgia from the sinus issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭BlueFairy

cnocbui wrote: »
    As someone who suffered regular migraines for decades, I am quite certain there was certainly no negative link between caffeine and migraines. Caffeine is a key ingredient in many migraine medications:

Caffeine is actually beneficial because it causes blood vessels in the brain to constrict, which is exactly what you want to counter a migraine.

The most beneficial medication I was ever prescribed was Ergotamine Tartrate in an inhaler form that goes under than name Medihaler. This was wonderful for me because I would as often as not be unable to keep orally ingested medications down for long enough for them to have a beneficial effect. Being inhaled and entering the blood stream through the lungs it's efficacy is much more rapid than is possible with oral medications.

Ergotamine Tartrate is like caffeine in that it causes blood vessels in the brain to constrict, except its effect is a lot stronger. Obviously it would be both necessary and advisable to consult a physician to determine if this would be suitable for you.

I think with migraine that it can be personal from case to case. Caffeine is definitely a trigger for my own symptoms, so I stay well away from it. As someone else pointed out, it's regular use of it where it becomes a problem, but often when given at the onset of migraine it can be beneficial.

The advice to chronic migraine sufferers to try giving it up is well researched, there's lots of information on the same website you posted from if you search "caffeine" - apologies that I can't post links as I'm a new user.

Remember that migraine is a disturbance of the nervous system, and any kind of stimulant like caffeine that can have a negative effect on the nervous system is worth looking at, especially if migraines are at a regular or chronic level. It's about keeping the migraine brain calm and happy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

I used to get some very bad migraines, but since I became a veggie 5 years ago I've hardly had any. I'm not suggesting everyone should give up meat, just try to reduce the red meat intake a bit. Even small changes like buying cheese without animal rennet(cheese was a big trigger for me).

There is so much gelatine hidden in foods that you wouldn't expect to find it in, like sweets and marshmallow:confused:

Off to cork to migraine clinic tomorrow with daughter... hoping to get some more advice.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭ash23

My eleven year old daughter recently began suffering from migraine. The first incident resulted in her walking into walls and seeing things moving in front of her. The GP sent her to A&E mainly because I have a neurological condition.
    She was diagnosed with migraine and told to come back in a few weeks.

In the meantime she was getting a migraine two to three times a week. She'd get what she described as a "tingling, buzzing" feeling in her scalp and sure enough, a while later the headache and blurred vision would arrive. We had her eyes tested also.

When we went back to the hospital she was prescribed a preventative drug to take every day and we were told to use a process of elimination on chocolate, cheese and caffeine. The drugs made her drowsy and cranky.

After a few weeks we found that cheese was her migraine trigger. Once we'd cut cheese out of her diet, I decided to stop the medication also (with her agreement) as they were making her feel groggy all the time. Thankfully she hasn't had one since and we're coming up on three months now.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭the culture of deference

Drumpot wrote: »

Last night in the middle of a 5aside my eyesight started to go. I had loads of blindspots, poor peripheral vision and it gets difficult to focus (the football and players kept disappearing!).

This is Occular migraine. I have them and its like you can see but the images are jumbled like a jigsaw, I get them with sharp stabbing pains. I am trying to organise a PET Scan, it has taken about 6 months.

This is Occular migraine. I have them and its like you can see but the images are jumbled like a jigsaw, I get them with sharp stabbing pains. I am trying to organise a PET Scan, it has taken about 6 months.

I had another migraine since I last posted here so I went to the Doctor last Thursday and he has arranged for me to go and get a CT Scan. He suggested going private because it would take so long going through the normal channels. Should be going for the scan sometime during the week.

I came across this animation online of a migraine aura, it's pretty close to what I have experienced with occular migraine except usually my blind spot is C shaped and tends to flicker more. Also the whole thing takes about 20 minutes from beginning to end in real life, and it tends to start with a "flashbulb" sensation for me.

I came across this animation online of a migraine aura, it's pretty close to what I have experienced with occular migraine except usually my blind spot is C shaped and tends to flicker more. Also the whole thing takes about 20 minutes from beginning to end in real life, and it tends to start with a "flashbulb" sensation for me.

Yeah that's exactly what I get. Starts off as if I was staring at a bright light for too long. I was watching a football match on tv a few weeks ago and I thought it was strange that I could only see the first 3/4 of any billboards I was staring at.

• Advertisement

Yeah that's exactly what I get. Starts off as if I was staring at a bright light for too long. I was watching a football match on tv a few weeks ago and I thought it was strange that I could only see the first 3/4 of any billboards I was staring at.

It's a good animation isn't it? I get more of a pulsing "checkerboard" effect than the numb grey, although it is numb grey in the centre. For me it usually starts with a flash like sunlight glinting off glass or a flashbulb going off and dazzling me. I experience it in only one eye too.

It's a good animation isn't it? I get more of a pulsing "checkerboard" effect than the numb grey, although it is numb grey in the centre. For me it usually starts with a flash like sunlight glinting off glass or a flashbulb going off and dazzling me. I experience it in only one eye too.

I only get it in one eye too.

I only get it in one eye too.

Maybe that's the norm. It's my right eye.

Maybe that's the norm. It's my right eye.

Right eye too.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭the culture of deference

I get it like that except the outline is brighter silver in colour, then it vibrates like a child would draw birds. Then it can turn into a torchlight.
    Right eye too.

Predom right eye too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

Just back from the migraine clinic in Beaumont with a new presription to try.

Just back from the migraine clinic in Beaumont with a new presription to try.

Can I ask what they gave you?.. my daughter is on amitryptiline and was given imigran from migraine clinic cork last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

I have a family member that has suffered from severe migraines for over 60 years, he reckons that any tablets/preventatives he has been given do nothing and the best thing to do it just ride them out naturally. I find the preventatives to be useless really as unless you take them everyday which with their side effects is not really the best idea, but I find Ibuprofen works really well when I do get them.

I have a family member that has suffered from severe migraines for over 60 years, he reckons that any tablets/preventatives he has been given do nothing and the best thing to do it just ride them out naturally. I find the preventatives to be useless really as unless you take them everyday which with their side effects is not really the best idea, but I find Ibuprofen works really well when I do get them.
    I think everyone is different. If my daughter hadn't her meds shed be in hospital regularly as her migraines get completely out of control. Side effects are a concern alright but the benefits far outweigh the cons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

Munstermad wrote: »
    Can I ask what they gave you?.. my daughter is on amitryptiline and was given imigran from migraine clinic cork last week.

amytriptyline for prevention.
    When I had a really bad migraine I can also take difene and zomig.
    zomig would be somewhat like imigran, I think.

Advertisement