Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

If you could change one thing about Ireland....

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 39 johnjoe7

Two W's: Weather and women.

/thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Weather, this is it for the summer btw, muck all the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,971 ✭✭✭teednab-el

That we had our own language and all of the population could speak it fluently. Not enough done in this country to promote Irish language.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭MrReynholm

teednab-el wrote: »
    That we had our own language and all of the population could speak it fluently. Not enough done in this country to promote Irish language.
    Everyone that goes through the schooling system is forced to learn and be examined on their knowledge of the language for 12 consecutive years. I can't see what more people expect them to do to "promote" the language when it's clear that only a tiny minority of people have even a vague interest in it.

If I could change one thing about Ireland it would be the weather. Proper summers and proper winters would drive a number of industries here and would make most people significantly happier.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Avox

I'd put a T in front of Ireland just to confuse everyone, considering a lot of foreigners don't know what Ireland is, they'd be shocked to discover there's a country called Tireland

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

MrReynholm wrote: »
    Everyone that goes through the schooling system is forced to learn and be examined on their knowledge of the language for 12 consecutive years. I can't see what more people expect them to do to "promote" the language when it's clear that only a tiny minority of people have even a vague interest in it.

Actually try to teach it in a manner that is not forcing you to memorise and retain a load of information over the 12 years would help. More time "living" the language and less time learning off stupid fcuking poems and short stories just so you can answer some questions after you have done this.

Oh realistic changes?

More puppies!

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭MultiUmm

I'd reinstate the old Irish nobility and reclaim the lost glory days and the provinces would once again become kingdoms, warring with each other from time to time for various reasons.

Just for the shíts 'n giggles like. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,224 ✭✭✭✭gammygils

Make it traveller free

Or else make the feckers work like the rest of us

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭wilkie2006

I'd like to see greater accountability among those who've contributed to Ireland's fcuked economy; lenders and borrowers alike.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

I would do more to prevent class erosion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭sheesh

Cannot go politics so i will say a properly run banking system.

that or make people more civic minded

although a change in the political culture would be good too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭Fenian Army

brits out

• Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

Weather. 35 degree summer and 15 degree winter. Snow for 3 days per year.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

Jobs for everybody or maybe some good weather so we could all holiday at home .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

Asshole holocaust.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭Jen Pigs Fly

Money tree plantations :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭PseudoFamous

Money tree plantations :D

Don't be silly, that would just cause massive inflation and fuck the economy even worse

• Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

Don't be silly, that would just cause massive inflation and fuck the economy even worse

Only if someone tells the Germans. We would be smart about it!
    Invest heavily in land, livestock and red diesel. Agriculture in Ireland looks good so that's our cover. Now we wash the red diesel and sell it to the English as white diesel. They see the benefit of increased cross-border trade and think we're generating out own success. They trust us with the other 6 counties and we all leave the dole queue and form a new line to shake hands with the queen.
    Then we buy some nice weather from Spain and Greece and take their tourists.

We ****ed it the last time and learned our lesson!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Spread

Turn all the Romas into Brazilian swimwear models!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭FISMA

faceman wrote: »
    So lets say you are granted a wish by genie, and the wish is that you can change one thing about Ireland for the better. What would it be?

You would have to take a ferry to Dublin Island.

;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭MadMardegan

Would be cool having hot summers etc but then Ireland wouldn't be as green as it is now, that wouldn't sit well with me.

I'm gonna agree with the one other person who said it: the whole attitude towards the Irish language should be changed, and the way it's taught needs to be completely revised.

It's ignorant to think "well people learn it in school for 12 years so if enough people aren't speaking it it's the people's problem". It's the educational systems problem. Needs to be taught at conversation level rather than short stories/poems and enough basic answers to pass an exam.

Also, more benefits for people who actually speak Irish.

It needs to be revitalised. It's such a shame that polish is the second most spoken language in the country.
    I don't know why more people don't care about it either

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

There would be more done to keep the country clean. There should be very heavy fines for littering for the Irish. Non Irish litterers would be deported back to their own country. I find it sickening to see someone from another country move here and think they can treat the place like crap.

There would be less cars on the roads. It should be illegal to drive any distance less than a mile if you don't have any health problems or aren't carrying anything heavy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

I'd arm everybody with dueling pistols.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

I'd like if it became an affordable and competitive place to live instead of having our insides ripped through our arses at every opportunity. Anywhere else in the world if you want to buy a consumer good for example you shop around and there are genuine incentives/real value whereas in Ireland we're shafted at every hand's turn for every single thing we've to pay for :mad:.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭Captain Graphite

Would love to have at least two or three other cities the size of Dublin. Coming from the rural backarse of North Cork it seems like absolutely fúck all happens outside the Pale.

Every time I'm floored by overwhelming boredom (which is about 80% of the time that I'm awake) I'm extremely bitter about the fact that I'm not from Dublin. I'm only about 35 minutes or so from Cork but even our nation's second biggest city feels like a small-ish town.

There's plenty of nice things about Ireland but none of them overshadow the fact that it's too fúcking small. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭booth70

Better public transport so that I don't have to fceking drive for hours just to get to and from work

• Registered Users Posts: 6,663 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

I would like to see Ireland enforce the law on politicians/bankers and big businessmen who keep their assets out of reach, dodge tax and accept bribes. We dont do that in this country, we just set up a red herring of an investigation or a protracted tribunal to throw to the angry masses and at the end of which we have forgotten about it and the culprits walk free with a massive pension/payout etc.

Definitely the worst thing about this country is the cronyism and corruption that is almost an accepted part of our culture. Can anyone see Sean Quinn, Seanie Fitzgerald or Fingers Fingleton doing one single second of hard time?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Dostoevsky

faceman wrote: »
    So lets say you are granted a wish by genie, and the wish is that you can change one thing about Ireland for the better. What would it be?

Planning policy. Planning permission is granted to so many ugly buildings totally out of sync with the traditional and natural environment that it continues to destroy the countryside and by extension the tourist industry. It breaks my heart to see eyesores built in the most beautiful parts of Ireland - completely inappropriate for the area.

The fact that the body which grants planning permission, the local authority, is also the same body which will receive the development fees would be considered a clash of interest in more environmentally enlightened societies. There's so little vision in local authorities' planning departments.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

mattjack wrote: »
    I'd arm everybody with dueling pistols.

I concur, I wish my brother and me had a set right now actually. Best way to solve issues;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

I would like to see the Irish population instilled with a greater sense of civic responsibility. I think it's appalling how many people are brought up thinking that it's okay to throw litter, deface public property, vandalise and cover anything that doesn't move in grafitti. It drives me insane that in this country we can't have more street assets like flowerpots and art and benches even, because in Ireland anything isn't nailed down is immediately knicked/broken/peed on or in some other way wrecked. In Spain they have tables and chairs with parasols placed in public places, like along the sea front, just so people can sit and relax in the shade. In Ireland they would be gone in the morning. And Irish people can be terrible at even maintaining their own property - there are so many houses with gardens filled with rusting cars or knee high weeds that just ruin everyone else's enjoyment of their own neighbourhood.

We place too much weight on our 'individualism' in this country I think, as if not following the country's laws is something to be proud of. They should teach respect for the community and public property in schools, people don't actually seem to realise/care here that when they deface a bus shelter they are wasting public money, or that when they dump bags of rubbish someone else is going to have to come along and pick them up. It comes down to a total lack of pride and it drives me bonkers.

Advertisement