Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Road Less Traveled: IM 2012

Options

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Gorgeous day today. Out early on the bike, in summer kit for the first time this year. It was blissful for the first couple of hours but after that it got really hot. It was a boring solo slog today and I did find it a bit of a headfcuk. Musta drank about 3l of water and juice and ate everything I could. By the end of this ride I was sick of the bike, but the main problem was ass discomfort. The legs were holding up well, but aldi shorts were a bad, BAD idea.

151.5k in a slow 6.27 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭big mce

Oryx wrote: »
    Gorgeous day today. Out early on the bike, in summer kit for the first time this year. It was blissful for the first couple of hours but after that it got really hot. It was a boring solo slog today and I did find it a bit of a headfcuk. Musta drank about 3l of water and juice and ate everything I could. By the end of this ride I was sick of the bike, but the main problem was ass discomfort. The legs were holding up well, but aldi shorts were a bad, BAD idea.

Just a suggestion. My wife had awful problems with back side discomfort during long bikes until she bought these. She tried every type until settling on these. Now she swears by them,

http://www.slanecycles.com/assos-h-fi-lady-s5-shorts-black-p-4075.html

Thanks. I've been trying to htfu but tis only getting worse. I'd love to get something good like that but in all honesty my ass aint worth that kind of dollars. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

I hear ya on the ass pain. Im feeling the exact same right now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭Brick Session

Oryx, well done on all you are managing so far. I am just finishing week 17 today and finding it very easy to wander off the training plan over the past couple of weeks. However hard it is for me, but you have to run a house as well, respect.

Maybe try double shorts for the long spins, a decent pair under the Aldi ones even.

• Advertisement

Oddly enough heavier padding often makes it worse. I'll be doing the race at the weekend in a trisuit to see how that goes, so I can decide what to do for the big one. I think tho, this week I will invest in some anti chafe cream. :) I'm disappointed in how slow the bike still is, but I know this bloody pain issue is part of the problem. Either way, come race day I'm gonna have to just ignore the discomfort and just get it done. Tis only pain, right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Oddly enough heavier padding often makes it worse.

I actually find this myself, the less padding the better for me. Try the tri suit on some of your bikes. Its right about now you need to get the your race gear/nutrition/hydration nailed down and put into practice on the longer sessions.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

I'm usually fine with just tri shorts or running capris. Found it fairly painful yesterday though so stuck undershorts on today and had no issues. Can't be wearing padded undershorts in a tri though unless you like running in nappies or stick them over your tri shorts.

I actually find this myself, the less padding the better for me. Try the tri suit on some of your bikes. Its right about now you need to get the your race gear/nutrition/hydration nailed down and put into practice on the longer sessions.
    Yeah. Thats what I'm trying to figure out this last few weeks. Just a few more things to test over the next two weeks, but I'm beginning to form a pretty ok plan on what to eat and drink on the bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,766 ✭✭✭griffin100

I usually wear tri shorts under bib shorts for long rides, but then again I expect I have more to protect than JB. :)

Seriously though, fit is as important as padding. I find that tri shorts due to their tight fitting are very comfortable. JB is right though, you need to get your final set up sorted now. 7hrs in the saddle is hard enough without having your rear end singing to you.

• Advertisement

I never thought I would be discussing the finer details of my ar5e with strangers on the internet. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭BennyMul

Hi
    Have you looked into changing your saddle, some types just dont suit. it took me a while to find one I can sit on for hours,

also congrats on the training,

I never thought I would be discussing the finer details of my ar5e with strangers on the internet. :)

You're obviously not posting on the right websites :)

I tried a few other saddles last year. Most felt like bricks so I stuck to what I knew. Changing the angle helped a lot, this has only flared up now because of the huge jump in distance for me. I don't want to change the seat now at this late stage. Will try some other strategies to deal with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭handangeo

All set for Saturday? - Weather looks to be warm , a good testing session for Austria.

I tried a few other saddles last year. Most felt like bricks so I stuck to what I knew. Changing the angle helped a lot, this has only flared up now because of the huge jump in distance for me. I don't want to change the seat now at this late stage. Will try some other strategies to deal with it.

Did you get out of the saddle much on the long ride? I find that if I do a long bike on a flat course where I can stay in the TT position without getting out of the saddle for a couple of hours I can get 'affected' by this. On longer flat rides I make myself get out of the saddle to give the ass a rest and allow some blood flow into the lower regions at least a couple of times per hr.

Ready as I'll ever be. Which means not very. I'm feeling very slow these days, I think it comes from looking at all the uber fast guys on here.

griffin100 wrote: »
    Did you get out of the saddle much on the long ride? I find that if I do a long bike on a flat course where I can stay in the TT position without getting out of the saddle for a couple of hours I can get 'affected' by this. On longer flat rides I make myself get out of the saddle to give the ass a rest and allow some blood flow into the lower regions at least a couple of times per hr.
    Don't have tt bars because I never developed enough skill to use them (that same old long story again). I go from hoods to drops and ride out of the saddle now and again. Maybe not enough though.

Last night I did the usual ow swim. I have no idea what distance I covered, but I was swimming for 50 minutes. Must have been around 1800-1900m. We were supposed to swim parallel to shore, but on one long stretch along the strand, I think I sighted a bit wonky because all of a sudden I was MILES from shore. Ooops. Need to work on that! Although in Athy the worst can happen is I swim into the bank....

This morning yet again found me sitting on the turbo. Or should I say, standing on the turbo. Given the delicate condition of my rear end right now, I thought a session of 'out of the saddle' reps would be a good call. Started at one, worked up to six minutes. It was very humid and sweaty, even at 7am. But felt like a good hours work.

I just pranged someones car, expensively. Gawdammit. Bye, bye, new wetsuit.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

I just pranged someones car, expensively. Gawdammit. Bye, bye, new wetsuit.

Ah poo what happened:(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Two ideas....
    Can you rent a wetsuit?
    Or, I can unearth mine, make sure it's in good order (did not wear it all last year), and if it's okay I can mail it to you. Might take a week to get to you.

Ah poo what happened:(
    My stupidity happened. Not only am I a crap cyclist, I cant drive a bleedin car, either. :(
    Dory Dory wrote: »
    Two ideas....
    Can you rent a wetsuit?
    Or, I can unearth mine, make sure it's in good order (did not wear it all last year), and if it's okay I can mail it to you. Might take a week to get to you.
    Ah, thanks thats very kind. But I will be ok in my old reliable orca s2. Really appreciate the offer, though.

Well, do really take note the next time you swim in it just how much water is in there with you. Too much will cause weight and drag, which you don't need, especially at the distances you are going....and, PLUS, especially for the commitment you've put into this massive undertaking.

Kettlebells. Angry, 'I've had a bad day' kettlebells. They're the best kind. One hour session, all the usual stuff. Very doable but god was it hot and sticky. Not complaining tho! I'd rather melt than freeze!

Turbo this morning. Unbelievably, it is still really difficult to sit comfortably on the bike. I did a right job on myself! This was a short session because unlike the more diligent IMers this week, I did NOT get up at 5 am, I only jumped on the bike at 7. (This is a step back week because of the race and boy am I enjoying it.) 45 mins of high cad sweating.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭Izoard

Enjoy the race - I think you will surprise yourself - all those grinding solo bike rides and runs will seriously pay off for you.

Pool swim last night. Bit of a half hearted effort, because I had to drop my long swim set on account of the race on Saturday.

2 x 400, 300, 200, 100. With 100 either side to w/u and s/d.

Tried to concentrate on form, and get a steady strong rhythm going. I tend to shorten my stroke and speed it up when I lose concentration, and Ive realised that slowing it down and making it more effective tends to speed me up.

Missed my early run today because himself had to head out early. So that will have to be done later. Only planning an hour, again, the long run will be Saturday.

I believe you have a race tomorrow - so best of luck to you. Get all the kinks worked out - this is a dress rehersal for 4 weeks from now!!! :)

• Advertisement

Best of luck tomorrow, I'm expecting great things!!!!!!!

Advertisement