Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Every Human should be Allowed to Join.

• 24-07-2010 9:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭Cork24

i feel that every person once they hit 18 should be called up to like in the rest of Europe.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭jurgenscarl

Cork24 wrote: »
    i feel that every person once they hit 18 should be called up to like in the rest of Europe.

How much would that cost?

We are not going to be going to war with anybody soon are we?

Our young people would be wasting their time doing drill, mucking about up in the mountains in foxholes, practising flanking movements and chucking flash bang grenades - when they could be working or getting an education.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭Cork24

education..education.. i take it you dont know much about our European friends and how their Army Work. in Poland and Russia, once a person feels school and does not go on to College will their for be rolled into the Army. Any one that Finishes College will not be rolled into the Army but free to do what they wish

how much it will Cost? any one that finish school but does not go to college will their for be rolled into the army under Min pay. so that 8.50 or what ever it is an hour. they only get 180 a week during 16week of training and after your 2 years is done you can say on and get better pay.

Going to War or not Going to war Every Country needs to be able to Act as Fast as the next to keep its people Safe and Free from any knid of attack. were in a 1 World Country with a 3rd World Army when it comes to Size & Power.

education..education.. i take it you dont know much about our European friends and how their Army Work. in Poland and Russia, once a person feels school and does not go on to College will their for be rolled into the Army. Any one that Finishes College will not be rolled into the Army but free to do what they wish

how much it will Cost? any one that finish school but does not go to college will their for be rolled into the army under Min pay. so that 8.50 or what ever it is an hour. they only get 180 a week during 16week of training and after your 2 years is done you can say on and get better pay.

Going to War or not Going to war Every Country needs to be able to Act as Fast as the next to keep its people Safe and Free from any knid of attack. were in a 1 World Country with a 3rd World Army when it comes to Size & Power.

You are ignoring the money.
    To keep train and equip thousands of young soldiers cost enormous ammounts of money - money a small nation like Ireland simply doesn't have.
    We are not part of Nato and we only supply one infantry battalion at most for UN missions at any given time.

UN pays Ireland for its mission. Since we passed this last Treaty we will be joining NATO soon, And Yes NATO is a Most for a Small Nation like ours if an Non- NATO member gets attack you think NATO will help? since we are in the UN and the European battalion maybe they will help.

as i said before, you pay your Soilders 180 a week during basic Training and after that they get about 200 a week for the next 2 years.

you think the way the Army is build up now would stand a Chance agaisnt an Attack. and dont give me where this and that. As we Are not.

UN pays Ireland for its mission. Since we passed this last Treaty we will be joining NATO soon, And Yes NATO is a Most for a Small Nation like ours if an Non- NATO member gets attack you think NATO will help? since we are in the UN and the European battalion maybe they will help.

as i said before, you pay your Soilders 180 a week during basic Training and after that they get about 200 a week for the next 2 years.

you think the way the Army is build up now would stand a Chance agaisnt an Attack. and dont give me where this and that. As we Are not.

A soldier needs to be equiped with weapons and equipment and needs to be trained. That costs tens of thousands of euro per man. That works out at hundreds of millions per year. To maintain 10,000 or so personnel at the moment by the Irish government is extremely expensive. If Ireland joined NATO we would be required to dramatically increase our defence spending.

We have no enemies - the success of the peace process means there is less chance than ever before of Ireland ever being involved in a war with Britain.

We are far removed from any major conflict zone.

So why would we need a larger army?

We can barely pay for our roads, buses, trains, hospitals, schools and public services as it is.

Why would we waste money on an army that is never going to fight?

• Advertisement

no enemies.. Hmm well did that make a Difference in World War 2 when British, American and Nazi German all had plans to Take Ireland?? NO enemies then? when it comes to other people plans they dont care about other people.

England wanted Cobh as a Shipping yard for its ships. Plus back in the Anglo-Treaty Cobh was not meant to be giving back to the Irish Free State. Church Hill Saw Cobh Ise. as a Great place for its De-fence

no enemies.. Hmm well did that make a Difference in World War 2 when British, American and Nazi German all had plans to Take Ireland?? NO enemies then? when it comes to other people plans they dont care about other people.

England wanted Cobh as a Shipping yard for its ships. Plus back in the Anglo-Treaty Cobh was not meant to be giving back to the Irish Free State. Church Hill Saw Cobh Ise. as a Great place for its De-fence

That was way way back between 1939-1945 ffs.:rolleyes:

Churchill died in 1964.

The British are not going to war with Germany any time soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭cushtac

Most of Europe has either done away with conscription or is in the process of doing so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭private2bcadet

the main reasons the irish df is a volunteer organisation are

the historical reason... ireland, was a nation, whos men were drafted into, and used as cannon fodder by the british army. the irish volunteers, and citizen army, which later ended up being the ira, fighting the british for irish freedom, was a volunteer organisation. ireland wanted to run itself, for itself, in its own way, so therefore had no interest in conscripting our soldiers like the previous occupiers.

the second reason, is that, conscript soldiers, are very bad soldiers... look at china... the biggest misconception going in the military world is that the chinese army is actually a good army... its not.. its just huge... a massive body, of well equipped people, who dont even want to be there. conscript soldiers lack passion and interest, and therefore have no interest in contributing anything to the army... just do their time, and get out.

the main reason though, is that it is completely un-necessary for ireland to have a large army capable of attacking other countries... what ireland needs, is a smaller, volunteered, well trained, well disciplined, well equipped, and well experienced military, to exist to DEFEND the state, should war be brought to us! .. and thats what we have... so.. no need for conscription :D

european battalion? nothing exists called the european battalion.

by anychance are you a very young teenager who has an interest in all things military and fancies himself a bit of a military annalist? cos there is a lot of people like you on boards!

how could you have an opinion on irelands defensive capabilities, if you manage to think we are a member of something called the european battalion. if you made that mistake, you are definitely not someone who knows what their on about... for two reasons, it doesnt exist! and anything of battalion size, most definitely can not fly to the aid of an enitre country under attack!

ive been reading over your posts on this thread... you should really just stop! you havnt a clue what your talking about! and id say the vast majority of people that do, saw your posts on this, and said to themselves 'no way... im not even touching that!'

this forum is for people who talk sense and debate military issues... stick to the walter mitty forum! it would suit you down to the ground ;)

• Advertisement

oh for gods sake... 3rd world army when it comes to size and power,.. can i ask you.. have you ever even been in an irish military institution? seen the irish army training? seen the irish army in action? seen the irish army overseas? ...just stop assuming you know what your talking about!

have you ever taken into account the fact ireland has only 4 million people? you know that ireland has a bigger soldier-civi ratio than brittain?

Seen that my Dad 2 Brothers 1 sister were in the Army. and my other brother along with most of my Cousins were in the Navy.

Grandfather, 2 Grand Uncle were in the Airborne during ww2 in which one died over their so did the Grandfather the other uncle went on to fight in the Korean War.

And the european battalion I.E European Battle group Ireland are in the Nordic BattleGroup along side. Sweden Finland Estonia and Norway

Next you be telling me Irish troops are not Serving in afghanistan !

PDF are not well equipped they are poorly Equipped.

Anyway if i was thinking about joining the Army it will be no means the Irish Army i want to do something with my life inside the Army i would join the R.I.R Royal Irish Rangers.

and before some fool goes on about thats an English Army. It is Not! it is a Army for Northern Ireland. every Nation needs an Army they dont care what Color, Race, Religion you are.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Seen that my Dad 2 Brothers 1 sister were in the Army. and my other brother along with most of my Cousins were in the Navy.

Grandfather, 2 Grand Uncle were in the Airborne during ww2 in which one died over their so did the Grandfather the other uncle went on to fight in the Korean War.

And the european battalion I.E European Battle group Ireland are in the Nordic BattleGroup along side. Sweden Finland Estonia and Norway

Anyway if i was thinking about joining the Army it will be no means the Irish Army i want to do something with my life inside the Army i would join the R.I.R Royal Irish Rangers.

and before some fool goes on about thats an English Army. It is Not! it is a Army for Northern Ireland. every Nation needs an Army they dont care what Color, Race, Religion you are.

you mean the Royal Irish Regiment, right? Missed the boat on the Royal Irish Rangers by quite a few years. Also, it's a regiment within the British Army. It is a British Army regiment. It is not an army in and of itself, and while it has Irish ties it is not solely Irish or Northern Irish either, nor does it exist to represent the Irish or Northern Irish, but to serve the British state, just like every other regiment of the British Army.

battalion? a battalion is about 4 500 men! ..the battle group,, is not a battalion, and the battle group doesnt exist to defend europe! .. thats strange, you have so many military relatives but your still clueless!

we have a phrase for people like you who are blind to think that a regement of the british army isnt a regement of the british army, in the real world... its called 'let them on, there no good to us' ... you didnt answer my questions by the way! .. the pdf wouldnt be known as a well equipped army in the EU and UN, if we were not a well equipped army!

i would look up the history of the RIR if i were you.... there uniform is actually based on the black n tan uniform, for a reason!

black n Tans were mostly from Liverpool and a few Scot's

black n Tans were mostly from Liverpool and a few Scot's

no.. they were not... i dont know where your getting your info from..on everything... but its all terribly wrong...

see, im actually studdying history in uni. the black n tans were taken from all over the UK, a huge amount of them were welsh, and a huge amount of them, were irish people who were back from the trenches and loyal to the crown! many people volunteered from the original irish regiments... also, the black n tans worked a lot with the connaught rangers, who had a large garrison in galway (thats where they were mostly associated with the tans).

this is why, the royal irish uniform, actually is black n tan! it is based on the original black n tan uniform because of how much rir lads became tans, and because of how much they worked with the tans!

dont be so naive! ... if you wanna join an army where your going to make a difference in the world, join the irish... if you wanna be used as a pawn, get payed shag all, be subject to queen, who awards soldiers for murdering irish civillians, and have a whole lot of blood on your hands go for the rir... just go for it ;) ...cos as i said... people like you, are no good to us

do something different to the World join the Irish.
    or be a prawn in the British Army, at lest they make a difference. Number one evening tho their part of an British unit. their still their to serve the people of the North keep the peace between the two groups.

What about the PSNI are they Prawns to the Queen? should a Catholic be allowed to join the PSNI with out the fair of the IRA attacking them? should a Catholic be allowed to join the RIR without the fair of being Attacked by the IRA or UDF?

Many people from the South have join the RIR others join the french foreign legion

With the Royal Irish Rangers they are territorial Army
    and Royal Irish Regiment are General Service within North Ireland.

do something different to the World join the Irish.
    or be a prawn in the British Army, at lest they make a difference. Number one evening tho their part of an British unit. their still their to serve the people of the North keep the peace between the two groups.

What about the PSNI are they Prawns to the Queen? should a Catholic be allowed to join the PSNI with out the fair of the IRA attacking them? should a Catholic be allowed to join the RIR without the fair of being Attacked by the IRA or UDF?

Many people from the South have join the RIR others join the french foreign legion

With the Royal Irish Rangers they are territorial Army
    and Royal Irish Regiment are General Service within North Ireland.

The Royal Irish aren't usually based in NI. Certainly not at the moment as far as I'm aware.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Poccington

The RIR is NI's army.

Well **** me sideways...

well who else is going to stop an Attack happening if it was to happening to NI? Irish Army? hmm i wouldnt think so.

• Advertisement

Any Way you just wait and see.. Ireland being Over Run in a few years time!

or maybe sooner then you think!! North Korea will Nuke South, America will Bomb the **** out of North Korea, China Russia will condemn America and South Korea for its actions and hell we have WW3 on our hands!

Hell its only 16 more Months till Dec. 2012

well who else is going to stop an Attack happening if it was to happening to NI? Irish Army? hmm i wouldnt think so.

Considering it's a part of the UK, I would expect a sizeable detachment from the British Army, a damn sight bigger than the Royal Irish. Exactly what do you know about the British military or, for that matter, since you seem to think Northern Ireland is sovereign in the matter of its defence and foreign policy, Britain or, for that matter, since you don't appear to know the actual difference between Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland, Ireland.
    Any Way you just wait and see.. Ireland being Over Run in a few years time!

or maybe sooner then you think!! North Korea will Nuke South, America will Bomb the **** out of North Korea, China Russia will condemn America and South Korea for its actions and hell we have WW3 on our hands!

Hell its only 16 more Months till Dec. 2012

Riiiight.... Are you completely mental? You wish everyone were called up to serve? I would be extremely worried if that were ever the case.

straitjacket_new1.jpg

hahahaha

i think everyone should just ignore this thread.. your man actually is only like 12 or something... go back to call of duty hahaha

poccington couldnt have put it better!

ALL of my mates who are in the british army, .. are based in england and scotland!

young lad, cop on, get off the internet... get out into the real world, ,and start learning facts

and yea, the british do make a difference... they kill thousands upon thousands of civis in one country, and cause an even bigger war, all because a few of their american friends were killed in new york... its a difference all right...

cop on

Your Saying 9/11 is only a couple of Americas. Ah its only America they were asking for it that's alright.?

if i knocked at your Door your family were all in having their Dinner, i walked and and blow them all up.
    Or if i Drived a god dam ****ing plane into your house took out half of your Area. Would you not take Revenge? No....

Your Saying 9/11 is only a couple of Americas. Ah its only America they were asking for it that's alright.?

if i knocked at your Door your family were all in having their Dinner, i walked and and blow them all up.
    Or if i Drived a god dam ****ing plane into your house took out half of your Area. Would you not take Revenge? No....

no i would not. because i am not an imbecile...

revenge does nothing.

an eye for an eye makes the world go blind.

everyday hundreds of thousands of people die at the hands of other people!
    you are not going to make a difference, by killing thousands and thousands of innocent people in the process of chasing after some dirty old man in a cave who wants nothing more than for you to came and make ***** of his countries people.

as i said... cop on

• Cork24 wrote: »

OP is either a child grappling with an inflatable globe or in greater likelihood a troll with a slight inferiority complex :)

An Eye for an Eye. But yet what has Americas eye have done for Afghanistan or even Iraq? First off you dont have genocide in both Countries now. When i was in School one day we saw a Doc about Afghanistan and the genocide that was going on.

If it took something like 9/11 for America to go in and stop this genocide then so be it. Some good always comes out of some bad. in this case 9/11 the freedom of Iraq and people in Afghanistan to make a real living.

if you think 9/11 is ok. then your the one that needs to cop on. No man should be killed unless he has a Weapon in his hand and is willing to use it. Women, Man, or Child if they have a Weapon then you blow them to Hell. As Brice said in Die Hard... Kill them All let God sort them out!!.

And that is what America and England are doing so what are We doing with our tails up our ass yet we allow American War planes to use our Air Space so we are the Enemy of Muslims.. Evening tho were not over their killing but yet the blood is on our hands.. we may as well be over their mooing down the ****ers our self.

An Eye for an Eye. But yet what has Americas eye have done for Afghanistan or even Iraq? First off you dont have genocide in both Countries now. When i was in School one day we saw a Doc about Afghanistan and the genocide that was going on.

If it took something like 9/11 for America to go in and stop this genocide then so be it. Some good always comes out of some bad. in this case 9/11 the freedom of Iraq and people in Afghanistan to make a real living.

if you think 9/11 is ok. then your the one that needs to cop on. No man should be killed unless he has a Weapon in his hand and is willing to use it. Women, Man, or Child if they have a Weapon then you blow them to Hell. As Brice said in Die Hard... Kill them All let God sort them out!!.

And that is what America and England are doing so what are We doing with our tails up our ass yet we allow American War planes to use our Air Space so we are the Enemy of Muslims.. Evening tho were not over their killing but yet the blood is on our hands.. we may as well be over their mooing down the ****ers our self.

you do know since the invasion the brits and americans have actually killed more civillians than the taliban ever did in both iraq and afghanistan? and injured and displaces thousands more. thats not just opinion... you cant argue against fact.

"Women, Man, or Child if they have a Weapon then you blow them to Hell" hahahahahaha... i dont even know where to begin to explain how wrong you are!

god help you if you get into the brits or the irish (you probably wouldnt get near the latter)... cos you are the very kind, whos mind is full of video game induced bull ****, and once your kind sees combat, or even the effects of combat,... you cant handle it...
    cos you dont know the first thing about combat! or 'blowing anyone to hell'

god only knows how many people are looking at my replies and saying 'why are you bothering! nothing you can say can stop this lad from being as thick as he is'.. god help ya if you ever become a soldier... of any kind... you wont know what hit you

tails between our legs... good look to you and bloody video games kid hahaha!

you dont know what your talking about!

blood is on our hands? haha! no. there is no blood on our hands... the yanks using shannon has absolutely NOTHING to do with the defence forces.. so be carefull where you point your little video game playing fingers!

and by the way, i did not ever say 9/11 was 'ok'

can someone who has the power please close this forum?

i genuinely believe that the lad that started this thread has the intention of just starting rows

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭Captainship

cushtac wrote: »
    Most of Europe has either done away with conscription or is in the process of doing so.

Not Norway,but then again i don think they are planning on going to war either,maybe thats why its called defence forces
    icon12.gif

Advertisement