Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Trout River for Free Fishing

• 28-06-2010 9:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭

Hi there, I know nothing in life is free, but am taking my 5yr old fishing tomorrow, have a few days off, please look on my other post, "Worms for fishing" and you will see I am taking him to the Bride on the Cork - Macroom road, the water is low, but is there any where else I can take him? Willing to travel for the enjoyment he gets from fishing.
    Thanks. and as above, I know its a loaded question, but have to try.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

If you don't mind travelling, Lough Fadda outside Kenmare in Kerry is fishing well at the mo. I got some nice trout there last week on fly and other anglers fishing bubbles and worms were getting plenty. You can get the permit in angling shop in Kenmare town. Its a gorgeous spot and makes for a great days fishing.

The Shournagh and Martin in Blarney are free fishing, as is the Dripsey river beyond Innishcarra. The Bride you mentioned too, but its hard fishing - very overgrown. The Lee fields too by the grotto on the Lee road is always a favorite worming spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭medicman

Great Stuff, thanks for that, might do a bit of driving tomorrow to get the best spot.

Will post again tomorrow night when we get back with an update.

regards.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭NewDirection

Is there any spots in limerick where one can fish for brown trout for free?

SeaFields wrote: »
    If you don't mind travelling, Lough Fadda outside Kenmare in Kerry is fishing well at the mo. I got some nice trout there last week on fly and other anglers fishing bubbles and worms were getting plenty. You can get the permit in angling shop in Kenmare town. Its a gorgeous spot and makes for a great days fishing.

The Shournagh and Martin in Blarney are free fishing, as is the Dripsey river beyond Innishcarra. The Bride you mentioned too, but its hard fishing - very overgrown. The Lee fields too by the grotto on the Lee road is always a favorite worming spot.

Well, here I am again, whew!!! what a hard day, nothing, nill, nada, need I go on?, we 1st tried the Bride, very very low water, what fish we saw were small, nothing of size, we then tried a spot up by toon bridge, water there full of weeds, moved up river to a spot i fished 20 years ago, off the beaten track, nice holding pool, but again, nothing doing, then tried the geara, and as above, nill, lastly we tried the Shournagh and Martin, no joy, anyway, we still enjoyed our day out and will be going to the blackwater in mallow area in a week or so, hope to have a bit of luck there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 955 ✭✭✭sickpuppy

medicman wrote: »
    Well, here I am again, whew!!! what a hard day, nothing, nill, nada, need I go on?, we 1st tried the Bride, very very low water, what fish we saw were small, nothing of size, we then tried a spot up by toon bridge, water there full of weeds, moved up river to a spot i fished 20 years ago, off the beaten track, nice holding pool, but again, nothing doing, then tried the geara, and as above, nill, lastly we tried the Shournagh and Martin, no joy, anyway, we still enjoyed our day out and will be going to the blackwater in mallow area in a week or so, hope to have a bit of luck there.

Hi mate no reflection on yoruself would it not make more sense to take the lad fishing where hes guaranteed too catch some fish maybe coarse fishing?

My mates son when he was 6 was fishing with his dad 4 times and never caught a thing so didnt really want to go i brought the two of them to the river
    armed with maggots and groundbait and 2pound line and size 16 hooks in 3 hours we caught 16 fish roach and perch the young lad was super excited talking to his mother he was telling how he caught 16 fish she thought he was fibbing all returned alive even if most would have made great pike baits:pac:

By catching the fish and releasing the kid had a great taste of fishing and is eager to fish again
    it needs to be fun

even as a kid i always prefered worming for perch or spinning for pike than fishing for trout harder catch a trout even if the reward is worthwhile.

Tight lines good luck

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭davidk11811

sickpuppy wrote: »
    Hi mate no reflection on yoruself would it not make more sense to take the lad fishing where hes guaranteed too catch some fish maybe coarse fishing?

My mates son when he was 6 was fishing with his dad 4 times and never caught a thing so didnt really want to go i brought the two of them to the river
    armed with maggots and groundbait and 2pound line and size 16 hooks in 3 hours we caught 16 fish roach and perch the young lad was super excited talking to his mother he was telling how he caught 16 fish she thought he was fibbing all returned alive even if most would have made great pike baits:pac:

By catching the fish and releasing the kid had a great taste of fishing and is eager to fish again
    it needs to be fun

even as a kid i always prefered worming for perch or spinning for pike than fishing for trout harder catch a trout even if the reward is worthwhile.

Tight lines good luck
    Yeah your right, as a young lad myself trout PISSES me off!

thanks for the post sickpuppy, but i have never been and never will be into course fishing, it is just one of those things, when i go out either shooting or fishing, i always bring back what we caught and prepared it to eat, i dont like to catch course fish and then put them back, i fish, catch what i need and eat it, its the way we were brought up by my parents and i want to pass that on to my family,
    before anyone posts negitive comments, i only shoot and fish what my family need, never killing for the sake of it and leaving the meat to rot.

Anyway, will be going out for more hopefully in the next few weeks and keeping the fingers crossed for more luck.

sickpuppy wrote: »

it needs to be fun

Tight lines good luck

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

Take him to Ballyhass. Pay the price. Catch a few big ones. Bring a monster home. Have your dinner.

Free fishing water is frequented by many others who also kill for their table too and are probably better fishers than you. Consequently fish are smaller, scarcer, and much harder to catch, all of which you have already begun to suspect. Open water is very difficult for beginners to crack.
    In short, free fishing everywhere has already declined to the quality matched by it's cost, only exception - those with exceptional skill at their command.

If you don't want blank trips with a novice, go to a commercial fishery.
    The prices seem dear in comparison, and "free fishers only" types complain about commercial fishery costs. You can ignore those critics comments because the vastly superior fish stocks, fish sizes and fishing results make the costs very fair.
    Get the young lad catching fish first, then look at your viable alternative options after.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Also an option is Loughderra outside Midleton. Get your permit in the pub half a mile up the road from it on the Cork side (I cannot think of its name at the mo). You can fish off the wall on the road and cover a good bit of water from there. Should be well stocked at this time of year.

Advertisement