Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Has the iPhone 4 surpassed the Desire? (And all Android Phones?)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,097 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Inquitus wrote: »
    The new O2 iphone tariffs are out in the UK

http://shop.o2.co.uk/new-iphone/tariffs.html

They are fecking horrific! usually the Uk provides better value than Ireland, I hate to see what tariffs they demand for iPhone 4 here!

There not that bad, 65 quid for unlimited calls and 1GB of internet,

• Registered Users Posts: 7,710 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Hey all, have you not heard, Apple have invented a brand new must have app called Video Calling!!! :eek::eek::eek:

Its so cool. If it had been available for the past 10 years there would be millions of people using it all over the planet! But because Apple just thought of it now it will be the new reason to get a new phone!!!

Because Apple respect their customers so much and wanted to give back to them, they have decided that you will only be able to use it between two iPhones, so all your friends will need to have iPhone G4's too & it won't use up any of your data bundle or call minutes because Apple have (kindly) made it so that it will only work over Wi-Fi.

What a useful ****ing app!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭Victor_M

Bluefoam wrote: »
    Hey all, have you not heard, Apple have invented a brand new must have app called Video Calling!!! :eek::eek::eek:

Its so cool. If it had been available for the past 10 years there would be millions of people using it all over the planet! But because Apple just thought of it now it will be the new reason to get a new phone!!!

Because Apple respect their customers so much and wanted to give back to them, they have decided that you will only be able to use it between two iPhones, so all your friends will need to have iPhone G4's too & it won't use up any of your data bundle or call minutes because Apple have (kindly) made it so that it will only work over Wi-Fi.

What a useful ****ing app!!!

This place is hilarious! Video calling has been technically available on the last 3 phones I've owned, but I was never able to make a call, I did witness a comically bad video call on a Nokia a few years ago, Apple didn't invent video calling on a mobile, but, they'll do it right and make it massively popular, just like they have with web browsing from you phone, email etc. how many phones offered a decent web browsing experience before the iPhone came along?

As a techie who likes my tech to work properly I'm a perfectly happy jail broken iPhone user, but i can also see the appeal of the android based phones unlike some of you lads on here who are fairly/comically blinkered (I'm guessing a few former Nokia fanboi's who've jumped ship to Android since Nokia have all but fallen off the face of the smart phone world).

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭EasyBoy1974

oh dear, an ADF (Apple Defense Force) member ... ready to dive into any Internet discussion which is less than favourable to St Jobs or the Jesus phone ...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,729 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Victor_M wrote: »
    This place is hilarious! Video calling has been technically available on the last 3 phones I've owned, but I was never able to make a call, I did witness a comically bad video call on a Nokia a few years ago, Apple didn't invent video calling on a mobile, but, they'll do it right and make it massively popular, just like they have with web browsing from you phone, email etc. how many phones offered a decent web browsing experience before the iPhone came along?

As a techie who likes my tech to work properly I'm a perfectly happy jail broken iPhone user, but i can also see the appeal of the android based phones unlike some of you lads on here who are fairly/comically blinkered (I'm guessing a few former Nokia fanboi's who've jumped ship to Android since Nokia have all but fallen off the face of the smart phone world).

Video calling from your home wifi network, that's a revolution, oh wait skype has been doing it for years far better than an iPhone ever will.

Its a pointless gimmick unless it works from anywhere, over 3G, and your provider gives you a data package at a decent price that supports it..........and given we are re-entering the data package stoneage with O2 in the UK and AT&T in the US drastically reigning in their data pricing and quantities, I am not hopeful of the latter happening anytime soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,710 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Victor_M wrote: »
    Video calling has been technically available on the last 3 phones I've owned

OMG, shock! horror!

Are you ****ing serious! If Apple invented it so long ago, how come they didn't put it on any of their phones until now? Next thing you'll tell me is that Apple didn't invent MMS, or touch screen phone, or hard drive based mp3 players...

* BTW, before this goes on too long, I was being sarcastic. Video conferencing over internet & mobile has been available in many formats for many many years. It is a massive fail & I don't believe that Apples walled garden approach will serve to make it a widley used function, particularly with all the restictions they are imposing on a service that is currently open on many other platforms....

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭one man clappin

I am due an upgrade with Vodafone and I am looking at either the HTC Desire or iPhone 4. Could anybody help me make up my mind please?

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭OI

I am due an upgrade with Vodafone and I am looking at either the HTC Desire or iPhone 4. Could anybody help me make up my mind please?

Well sir, that depends on which forum you post in.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

Both are great phones. If you want more freedom then go for the Desire. If you want more simplistic ease of use then go for the iPhone.

More freedom/customisability means possibly seeming more complicated.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

This depends on a couple of different factors

1)Are you a current or prepared to be a Bill pay or PAYG customer?

2)What do you want the phone to do?

3)Do you want a closed or open company designing the phone?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

djgaillimh wrote: »
    other manufacturer are going to start including redundant, low-quality front-facing cameras, because

I'm almost certainly getting this new iPhone, I've a two year old 3G ~ but watching S Jobbs gush over this totally useless feature was almost enough to make me think of either not upgrading, or moving to something like you've mentioned, later in the year.

And, as you mentioned, multitasking?????? "It's life Jim, but not as we know it!" ;)

cormie wrote: »
    I've had front facing cameras ... one in every 5,000 phone calls i..get on camera when they've just woken up/driving/in the toilet/cooking etc. :D

AND under child protection laws it should be banned. We know enough as to how people use webcams already ... and we all know that gramps in Australia chatting to his family in New York, whilst fantastic, will be a very small minority market.

cormie wrote: »
    actually, does anyone know where you can get a replacement battery for the desire? Would be handy to have one! Or a few if they are cheap enough :D

Maybe not, these batteries like to be in service and will deteriorate even unopened on the shelf.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

S.M.B. wrote: »
    It's arrival has forced O2 UK to change their Unlimited Data allowance too. I'm not impressed.

From October I'll be limited to 500 MB on my Desire and it's an extra £5 to top it up by another 500MB.

Had to download 3G watchdog today in preparation. :(

my lady friend signed up to O2 uk with a 16gb 3gs (don't ask, she wouldn't listen) at the weekend. i questioned what the fair usage policy on the "unlimited data" allowance was. . . .1GB was his answer "but you'll never use that in a month":eek::eek::eek:. he then became uncomfortable at my silent raised eyebrow reaction - so many questions/objections came to mind but i was too stunned to verbalise. i thought the uk had the best plans??????

she still bought the bloody iphone

sorry for going OT - just had to share my surprise

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Gryzor

axer wrote: »
    Both are great phones. If you want more freedom then go for the Desire. If you want more simplistic ease of use then go for the iPhone.

More freedom/customisability means possibly seeming more complicated.

Could someone explain the "freedom" argument please. It's bandied around an awful lot. What can I do on my Android that I couldn't do on my jailbroken 3Gs??

• Registered Users Posts: 13,729 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

theteal wrote: »
    my lady friend signed up to O2 uk with a 16gb 3gs (don't ask, she wouldn't listen) at the weekend. i questioned what the fair usage policy on the "unlimited data" allowance was. . . .1GB was his answer "but you'll never use that in a month":eek::eek::eek:. he then became uncomfortable at my silent raised eyebrow reaction - so many questions/objections came to mind but i was too stunned to verbalise. i thought the uk had the best plans??????

she still bought the bloody iphone

sorry for going OT - just had to share my surprise

This is going to become a larger issue, for all smartphone users.

What is the point of go everywhere in your pocket internet phones, capable of video calling, media streaming, VOIP etc. if the dataplans don't exist to support it in a cost effective manner?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,128 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

I find alot of the iphone users who big it up over android usually point to something along these lines

"sure my iphones jailbroken does everything i need, no big deal, theres nothing better"

Thats a eprfectly valid statement, only problem I have is tha tthe phone doesnt retail as jailbroken and when exavluations like this are being made, it has to be done in the context of the phones original condition and selling condition.

I have no desire ( lol pun )to root my Android phone, because their is just no need. The big thing about jailbreaking your ipod is to get better control over the phone, making remote connections , terminal commands and free apps.

Android pretty much covers all off the above out of the box. The only thing i used my jailbroken ipod for was ssh'ing into my home machine, which my android achieves without rooting.

Also it has to be noted that so many users jailbreak their apple products to gain simple things that shouldnt be restricted....but same old apple, it only took them what, 4 years to get around to multitasking : /

I dont think there is alot between them, but cant feel the iphone4 hardware wise is playing catchup and will put it on an even playing field with something like the desire for example.

I also find alot of the attention for apple presentations are on absolute nonsense. Huge noise made about ridic applications that are not free, and technology or implementations that are not new, groundbreaking or something that is more a relief they finally did it mor ethen excitement and suprise.

More i use my android desire, and talk to people with iphones, it becomes more obvious that the iphone is just a trend ( i knew this obviously). But its not a smart phone, its a flashy toy. Its celebrity endorsement and all round hype mean its very much just an expensive phone to get to say you have rather then something you need.

I'll be happily taking high quality snaps on my desire of the Q's outside o2 stores, and throw those photos to flickr and twitter at the same time, whilst playing music, whilst connected to all my instant messaging services, whilst syncing my email every 20 seconds.

And as the new iphone users go mental over how they can do more then one thing at a time, I'll be over it acting **** cool like it aint no thang

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭OI

I bought the desire because of all the bull sh1t that comes out of Apple but its actually a much better phone. Even the ease of mounting it as a hard drive is a massive gain over ishmone. The only thing is the battery, its poor enough for a brand new product.

To say one phone is better than the other is opinion, pure and simple. Yeah, one may have a better camera, the other has a better screen etc, etc...and each one will leapfrog the other when they release new hardware...

It comes down to personal preference....theres probobly very little u can do on one phone that u can't on the other....my preference is a jailbroken iphone. I've used both, the Desire just doesn't do it for me. Maybe its the lack of apps (which i've no doubt will come), or the interface, but it just doesn't grab me the same way.

The addition of android to the smartphone market can only be good, Apple have had it their own way for too long, each one pushing the other can only be good for us, the enduser. :)

Gryzor wrote: »
    Could someone explain the "freedom" argument please. It's bandied around an awful lot. What can I do on my Android that I couldn't do on my jailbroken 3Gs??
    That's the difference right there. You have to break out of jail to gain freedom! :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭EasyBoy1974

There's no guarantee that future iPhones will be jailbreak-able either .. I imagine this is something Apple is working hard on .. look at the X360 and PS3 - all of a sudden this generation you can't run ANY unsigned code on either ..

That's the difference right there. You have to break out of jail to gain freedom! :p

Not quite the question i asked ;)
    There's no guarantee that future iPhones will be jailbreak-able either .. I imagine this is something Apple is working hard on .. look at the X360 and PS3 - all of a sudden this generation you can't run ANY unsigned code on either ..

Tis true, but by then Android might be to my liking :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

The Freedom part is something that is really more relevant to developers but has spilled over as something commercial users seem to like about Android, the fact that there is choice out there, different devices, different ROM's, different caririers, the fact that Google dont try to tell users what they can and cant do, nor do they decide what they can and cant have based on their own opinions :D

But anyway where Androids REAL freedom comes in is the development world, when developing an app developers have much more freedom on Android than on iphone, sure it has it's drawbacks but in the longer term it will mean a much more open, linked, interactive and intuitive mobile world.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

I had an iPhone from the 3G (later upgraded to 3GS) release up to a couple of months ago when I got my Desire. Loved my iPhone.

I jailbroke at one stage but with updates from Apple breaking that time and again, I ended up figuring it wasn't worth the effort. I'm sure it would have gotten easier with practice or persistance but it always felt like a LOT of effort tbh.

Rooting my Desire was damn easy by comparison. What I've gained from that is Wi-Fi tether, which is AWESOME and coming in Android 2.2 anyway, and access to paid apps in the Market, which really *must* be coming to us at some stage (surely?!). Don't think anything else I do with the phone has required rooting.

The 'freedom' for me is that my Desire, rooted or not, feels like a powerful little machine in my pocket - crucially, a machine who's power I can use to do whatever I want.

FTP server? Yes. Web server? Yes. Always connected to Skype (with 3G calls), GChat, Aim, whatever? Yes, no questions asked. Video calls? Actually.. I think Fring just added that! Haven't even tried it yet.

Don't like the default music player? Download a different one.
    SMS Client? Choose your favourite.
    Web Browser... email client... etc... use the default or pick your own, no hassle.

The app you want isn't in the Market for some reason? No worries, that's only one way to get them. Go to the developer website - probably download it there instead.

No one controls how I use my machine but me. Freedom :)

By contrast, iPhone felt like a really fancy phone with phone based apps. Definitely fancy and some really nice apps.... but as a *machine*, so limited.

draffodx wrote: »
    The Freedom part is something that is really more relevant to developers but has spilled over as something commercial users seem to like about Android, the fact that there is choice out there, different devices, different ROM's, different caririers, the fact that Google dont try to tell users what they can and cant do, nor do they decide what they can and cant have based on their own opinions :D

But anyway where Androids REAL freedom comes in is the development world, when developing an app developers have much more freedom on Android than on iphone, sure it has it's drawbacks but in the longer term it will mean a much more open, linked, interactive and intuitive mobile world.
    Goodshape summed up the freedom I am talking about very nicely. You have so much choice for pretty much everything on Android. For instance, I wasn't very happy with the stock SMS app so I downloaded Handcent SMS. Same goes for the keyboard. This was all without rooting or jailbreaking. Can the iPhone do that?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

I wasn't very happy with the stock SMS app so I downloaded Handcent SMS.
    And it's not even that there's anything wrong with the default. It's purely a personal choice and the freedom to make it.

I tried Handcent for a while but didn't feel I needed the extras, so went back to the default.

For a music app I'm really happy with MixZing. It's got a nice auto-playlist / suggestion feature, grabs album art if your missing it, has in-app info on the band (from Wikipedia etc.). Love it. If I were more interested in a nice GUI than some of those features I might have stuck with 'Cubed', which had a cover-flow style thing that's right up there with Apple's offering.

I've also got GrooveShark on there... streaming, downloading, playing in the background. No hassle at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭elderlemon

With Andoid you get a lot of "freedom" without even having to jailbreak/root the phone. Yes when you jailbreak and iphone you can do a lot more but lots of people I know don't want to go down that path.

With Android you can, without rooting, change almost everything. Don't like the standard sms app - go to the market and download another. Same with the contacts, dialer, email, browser (I think iphone got a second browser recently?), clock etc. Oh wait - you don't have to go to the market to get them - you can simply open a web page and download, or take an attachment off an email or install from the sd card...

If you root then its an entirely different ballgame. Don't like the OS version the manufacturer shipped with the phone - root and install another. Better still build your own if thats what floats your boat.

Phones are personal. People carry them with them all day long. They are the first thing they check in the morning, and last at night (besides the kids), and people like to make them fit their needs. With the iphone it tends to be a one size fits all. With Android, rooted or not, its change what you like to suit what you like.

My 2 cents.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,790 ✭✭✭✭cormie

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Patrickof

Maybe not a big thing, but I find widgets a major plus.

Example, for the iphone to be considered a business tool then surely the calander/appointments should be able to display forthcoming appointments on the main screen rather than having to go into the calander app to see whats ahead. You're likely to miss an appointment if all you get is the 15 minute reminder (and the meeting is, say, located 30 minutes away). I know you can vary the alarm reminder time but if the appointment is on the main screen then you're aware of it anytime you pick up the phone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭elderlemon

Agreed. I was out for dinner on Wednesday and the three other people there all had iphones. What got them was the widgets on the Desire - the iphone UI, while polished, it too simple. Just being presented with rows of buttons which you press one at a time to see whats going on - not much of a user experience for me. I think Apple need to rethink their presentation - it is minimal, its clean, its simple but does it really deliver what the user actually wants?

What really got them was I looked up a mutual friend in the address book. Clicked on the map icon (I had his postal address in there) and up popped a map of Palma with an icon over his house. Then click on streetview and voila a view from the street of his house. Its really neat.

Patrickof wrote: »
    Maybe not a big thing, but I find widgets a major plus.

Example, for the iphone to be considered a business tool then surely the calander/appointments should be able to display forthcoming appointments on the main screen rather than having to go into the calander app to see whats ahead. You're likely to miss an appointment if all you get is the 15 minute reminder (and the meeting is, say, located 30 minutes away). I know you can vary the alarm reminder time but if the appointment is on the main screen then you're aware of it anytime you pick up the phone.

Advertisement