Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Non shed Dogs

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

Xiney wrote: »
    there aren't many low shed dogs.

most are small.

those that are medium are generally some kind of hybrid cross with poodle.

I wouldn't get a poodle with kids in a million years.

I think maybe the dog you want doesn't exist.

well we must bow to the moderator

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Here's a list of breeds suitable for allergy sufferers, from dogbreedinfo.com
    http://dogbreedinfo.com/allergy.htm

Some are lower shedding than others, mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

amiable wrote: »

I am not a moderator of the animals and pets forum. The forums I moderate are listed in the same box as my avatar to the left of this post. On this forum, I am naught but a regular poster same as yourself.

I will say though, your attitude as far as regular posters go, leaves much to be desired.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

There's no need to be smart, people are only trying to help and you seem to be looking for a very very specific dog which makes it harder for people to suggest breeds.

star-pants wrote: »
    There's no need to be smart, people are only trying to help and you seem to be looking for a very very specific dog which makes it harder for people to suggest breeds.

on the contrary i thought the other poster was being smart but sure you'll stick together
    and some people were being very unhelpful suggesting small dogs when i clearly said i'm looking for a medium sized dog

• Advertisement

on the contrary i thought the other poster was being smart but sure you'll stick together
    and some people were being very unhelpful suggesting small dogs when i clearly said i'm looking for a medium sized dog

Well if you have an issue with a post use the report post function and we'll have a look at it. As for 'sticking together' anyone who's not mod of API/AW is seen the same as all other posters here. We're all subject to the rules.

Xiney wasn't really being smart I didn't think - just explained that there are very few low shed dogs and most of them are small, and that a poodle might not be the best around children, thus the dog you've an idea of in your head may not be there in reality, that you might have to compromise on some part.

I do agree some posters were being unhelpful pushing Cavs and other very small breeds when you stated medium.

Xiney wrote: »
    I am not a moderator of the animals and pets forum. The forums I moderate are listed in the same box as my avatar to the left of this post. On this forum, I am naught but a regular poster same as yourself.

I will say though, your attitude as far as regular posters go, leaves much to be desired.

well is this not all about opinions?
    i gave my opinion
    i wasn't referring to what you moderate
    see just cos you disagree with me i've an attitude
    i disagree

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭morganafay

Well I suggested small (and medium) sized dogs, but I already said that I misread your post. I know other people did too, but everyone was just trying to help you, otherwise they wouldn't have bothered posting.

Well if you have an issue with a post use the report post function and we'll have a look at it. As for 'sticking together' anyone who's not mod of API/AW is seen the same as all other posters here. We're all subject to the rules.

Xiney wasn't really being smart I didn't think - just explained that there are very few low shed dogs and most of them are small, and that a poodle might not be the best around children, thus the dog you've an idea of in your head may not be there in reality, that you might have to compromise on some part.

I do agree some posters were being unhelpful pushing Cavs and other very small breeds when you stated medium.

I don't have an issue
    I'm an adult and think i can resolve my problems myself
    if i don't want to post something i won't
    i presume nobody is obliged to

amiable we've spoken about the posters so can we leave it there please? And can we all get back on topic thank you

• Advertisement

amiable we've spoken about the posters so can we leave it there please? And can we all get back on topic thank you

as you wish sir/madam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Keep it up and you can go elsewhere.

Haddockman wrote: »
    Keep it up and you can go elsewhere.

???????

threat?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,577 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

???????

threat?

No its not a threat.Youve continually questioned moderator decisions on this thread.Thats called "back seat modding" and carries an automatic one week ban.Now final warning--If you keep this up I will issue a one week ban.

Now back on topic please.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

funkyjebus wrote: »
    i have an irish soft coated wheaten terrier. couldnt recommend it more. non shedding, much like the kerry blue. coat takes some work, but worth it for a coat like it has.

very gentle, friendly and intelligent.

I wholeheartedly agree. I have a male wheaten myself for the last 6 years, great dog.

Very friendly and intelligent, great with the kids around our estate.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

I wholeheartedly agree. I have a male wheaten myself for the last 6 years, great dog.

Very friendly and intelligent, great with the kids around our estate.

Sounds perfect and looks gorgeous too. Just had a look online.
    Anyone know anywhere i might get one?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,908 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=wheaten+dog+for+sale+ireland

sure i'll be accused of being smart now :rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

http://www.irishscwt.net/

Which for some reason doesn't show up easily on google.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭sassychick

Hi would you consider a boxer ??They dont shed alot and make great family pets...absolutly brilliant with kids...and adorable:D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭Jennyfer

sassychick wrote: »
    Hi would you consider a boxer ??They dont shed alot and make great family pets...absolutly brilliant with kids...and adorable:D:D:D

I was just gonna suggest the same, people will say "ah theyre too boisterous with kids" but they are remarkably good at adjusting to a level of play that will suit individual children. I have a boxer and 3 kids under 10 and she behaves differently with each of them. Shes amazing with them. And not just her, when they were all younger, say all under 7 we had a male boxer, twice the size of one we have now and he was just as good with them. Absolute sweethearts. They dont shed much, and although some males can be quite large, females would be medium sized.

I cant recommend enough, I would never have any other breed :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Kev M

The obvious choice for a non-shed medium dog would be a standard poodle. In my experience they're very smart, loyal, and just fun! Negatives would be that they're VERY high energy (could be good for some people), and definitely a bit snappy. I have one who's an extremely dominant dog, he bosses around an alsation and a staffy bull... and he also takes his 'watchdog' duties very seriously.. any strange noises in the night or people walkin past the house and he'll let you know all about it... He can also lose the run of himself with kids/strangers and be very boisterous... and they can really jump when they want..

So actually, I think standard poodles require very experienced dog owners...

And OP, don't be so defensive, you're not living up to your name at all ;)

sassychick wrote: »

Thanks but i sort of have my mind made up now

Kev M wrote: »
    The obvious choice for a non-shed medium dog would be a standard poodle. In my experience they're very smart, loyal, and just fun! Negatives would be that they're VERY high energy (could be good for some people), and definitely a bit snappy. I have one who's an extremely dominant dog, he bosses around an alsation and a staffy bull... and he also takes his 'watchdog' duties very seriously.. any strange noises in the night or people walkin past the house and he'll let you know all about it... He can also lose the run of himself with kids/strangers and be very boisterous... and they can really jump when they want..

So actually, I think standard poodles require very experienced dog owners...

And OP, don't be so defensive, you're not living up to your name at all ;)

i won't be getting a poodle
    I have a beautiful well behaved dog already

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭stargirl.gra

+1
    The obvious choice for a non-shed medium dog would be a standard poodle. In my experience they're very smart, loyal, and just fun!
    and definitely a bit snappy.

No def not snappy. I have a 2 year old standard poodle who I bring into an Irish playschool for the kids to rub her an have some fun. Fantastic family dog. I have 3 yorkies too and its the tall poodle my 2 year old niece loves. I'm also a dog groomer and can confirm the poodle is completely non shed. the shedding happens when you brush which is why from a grooming point of view poodles are really high maintainance. as for poodle crosses, I groomed a golden doodle the other day an i can confirm this dog did shed, altho very minimal but shedding all the same. I think ppl have really got the wrong impression of poodles thinkin they are some kind of fluffy up their own ass dog but that couldnt be further from the truth. they are hunting dogs an have an amazing spoting ability. great swimmers, fantastic at agility. as far as i can see the only negative is the grooming as it can be costly but not if u decide to keep a poodle in the sporting clip. very economical.

+1
    The obvious choice for a non-shed medium dog would be a standard poodle. In my experience they're very smart, loyal, and just fun!

No def not snappy. I have a 2 year old standard poodle who I bring into an Irish playschool for the kids to rub her an have some fun. Fantastic family dog. I have 3 yorkies too and its the tall poodle my 2 year old niece loves. I'm also a dog groomer and can confirm the poodle is completely non shed. the shedding happens when you brush which is why from a grooming point of view poodles are really high maintainance. as for poodle crosses, I groomed a golden doodle the other day an i can confirm this dog did shed, altho very minimal but shedding all the same. I think ppl have really got the wrong impression of poodles thinkin they are some kind of fluffy up their own ass dog but that couldnt be further from the truth. they are hunting dogs an have an amazing spoting ability. great swimmers, fantastic at agility. as far as i can see the only negative is the grooming as it can be costly but not if u decide to keep a poodle in the sporting clip. very economical.

i respect your obvious experience and opinion but some people just don't like them. i'm one of those people.
    Some people may disagree

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭stargirl.gra

Oh I get that you dont like them. It's so hilarious how many people say that and then meet one and it changes their opinion. are you any closer to finding your perfect dog?

+1

That's fair enough, it's good to hear positive things about the breed, I never like to generalise about a breed because they're all kinda individuals anyway, which is why I specified I was talking about my dog.

i won't be getting a poodle
    I have a beautiful well behaved dog already

Good for you...

Oh I get that you dont like them. It's so hilarious how many people say that and then meet one and it changes their opinion. are you any closer to finding your perfect dog?

I have a friend with 2 of them so i know what his are like.
    Yeah i have something in mind now
    Irish soft coated wheaten terrier.
    Hopefully it will get on with my 2 year old heinz

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭boxercreations

reading this thread has made me want to know about the Irish Water Spaniel, they look fabulous. Do they need working or is recreational water sport enough for them and are they really low shed or is that they have hair like a poodle rather than fur?
    thanks to poster.

Advertisement